Post-Game Talk: Toronto Maple Leafs @ New York Rangers 3/5/2014

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
So you'd play Nash at LW on the Richards/MSL line? Because I don't think you can break up the Zuccarello/Brassard/Pouliot line. They have great chemistry.

No, I think you put him with Brassard and Zucc. You at least have to try it.

I think Krieder should be looked at with MSL/Richards.

Step needs to play against weaker defensive units. He isn't a first line center. But he isn't even playing like a 2nd line center(he is capable of being that). He needs to find his game.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
LW is almost as much of a mess as C when Kreider isn't going. Is he going to need a kick in the pants every couple months for the rest of his career?

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Oh I know, but the "he's a bum," "he's a true loser," "he sucks," "horrible hockey player" bs is just as frustrating. Nash is one of our top 3 forwards and is part of our core whether you like it or not. The hate for Nash and Lundqvist this season is disgusting.

They're just not playing up to expectations consistently. I don't really expect Nash to be consistent but Hank has been all over the place this year and it's rough to watch when he has been the definition of consistent in the past.

park rangers

Optimist
Feb 7, 2009
NJ
I waited 12 years . Don't worry , time flies .

It's just the fact that we've some incredible players come through here and have had great seasons (Jagr, Gaborik, Nash) all the while playing with the best goaltender in the world in the past 9 seasons and yet somehow we truly haven't been able to sniff the cup.

Our management needs to stay the course and keep our core players intact (AKA anti-pre lockout strategy).

Or are we just a franchise destined for disappointment...

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
LW is almost as much of a mess as C when Kreider isn't going. Is he going to need a kick in the pants every couple months for the rest of his career?

I think he just needs to be taken off that line. Those 3 have not been playing well together for some time now.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The hatred for Nash is ****ing hilarious

Now that the Cally drama is over, it will get worse. He gets paid 8 million dollars and has 29 points in 46 games. If he is not scoring goals, he is useless.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Nash-Richards-St.Louis
Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Brasssard-Pouliot
Carcillo-Moore-Miller/Boyle
Dorsett

Staal-Girardi
McDonagh-Stralman
Moore-Klein
Diaz

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
They're just not playing up to expectations consistently. I don't really expect Nash to be consistent but Hank has been all over the place this year and it's rough to watch when he has been the definition of consistent in the past.

I know it's tough to watch, but this board was ready to publicly execute Hank on the ps goal and Nash on the gwg

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Lundqvist's ebbs and flows, like most goalies, tend to mesh with the performance of the team defense in front of them which was pretty consistent under Renney and Tortorella.

This year? Its a ****ing rollercoaster. I dont know what team is going to show up each night on the defensive side of the puck

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
No, I think you put him with Brassard and Zucc. You at least have to try it.

I think Krieder should be looked at with MSL/Richards.

Step needs to play against weaker defensive units. He isn't a first line center. But he isn't even playing like a 2nd line center(he is capable of being that). He needs to find his game.

Pouliot was playing his best hockey...well, since coming into the NHL with Zuccarello.

Stepan should be with Hagelin and...I don't know. Definitely not St. Louis or Nash...I don't know, AV has to get creative.

But Nash and Stepan need to be separated

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
Wow, that burns.

Looked like it was on McDonagh too. They play man and pretty sure that was his man. Gotta trust your partner to come up with the puck, most importantly so that you don't leave your man alone right in front of the net. Oh well.

I didn't think they were gonna win a cup before the deadline, and I don't think they're gonna win one now that the deadline has passed, but I am pretty excited at getting to spend some time watching St.Louis wear the blueshirt. Between him, Nash, the hobbit, and Kreider, that's four frickin exciting players in the top 6, who hopefully won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Meanwhile the 4th line continues to look real good. Sorry Dorsett but I wouldn't touch that combo. Pretty obvious that D. Moore had his best game in awhile. I want him in the lineup every night and to me, he's pretty much exactly what you want out of a fourth line center.

Let it be known, I truly hope and pray that bringing in St. louis doesn't mean they give up the chance to amnesty Richards. If Cally doesn't deserve the contract there's no way Richards does. Free up the money, don't bet with money you don't have.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
That was a **** game. Our best player might have been Dominic Moore. Anyway--Miller with Brasard and Pouliot is more effective than Dorsett. MZA can't get back too soon.

Not all that impressed with either of the Stepan or Richards lines either. For all the positive spin they got Richards wound up a -2.

Girardi made a fabulous play on Van Riemsdyk.

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I really would rather see Stepan - Nash broken up.

Then throw Brass in there. Stepan really isn't playing well enough for me to want him to go anywhere, honestly. When Zucc gets back there should be some shuffling.

Also, MSL barely had time before the game. Once the players stop thinking "just give it to MSL" and actually start playing/practicing with him, they'll realize where he's going to be and find out about his game a little more. Things will come together.

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
I know it's tough to watch, but this board was ready to publicly execute Hank on the ps goal and Nash on the gwg

Just people blowing off steam and frustration. HF is very fickle and what have you done for me lately runs rampant. Stepan was a god last year now everyone wants to trade or hang him. I've no doubt everyone will jump back on the Hank and Nash trains when they get going again :P

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I wish our defensemen were more assertive. Staal was playing so well up to the Olympic break, and, especially watching live, you could see he would hit anything that moved. Maybe my favorite moment this game was when Stralman stepped into Clarkson on our blueline. But just in general, I feel our D has gotten too passive. They don't pinch at the blue line nearly enough, they don't really make forwards work on the boards, they're not rushing the puck as much, and what's especially annoying to me is how frequently they just let one guy on the other team coast past the red line and dump it while his teammates are changing, seriously, make them work not to have to ice it...Anyway, I think we're just in a bit of a slump, all teams even the best one's go through it--we'll get a boost with Zucc back and we'll turn it around soon.

Richter Scale

Aug 4, 2012
Its not just about tonight. He doesn't have what it takes to win. Sather should have been cautious, but he sees glitz and headlines and can't help himself.

This isn't a team, its a collection of individuals. They don't stick up for eachother, they get pushed around, they have no urgency. 19 games left, they are one point away from being out of a playoff spot (they are not getting a wild card) and this is their response? Play 10 minutes out of 65?

Nash, to me, is the personification of what is wrong with this hockey club.

Sather is dilusional. They are not winning the Cup.

You have no disagreement from me.

Was going to post something along these lines in the MSL thread earlier today; but decided it wasn't worth it. Sather bringing back his golden oldie moves from the early 2000 teams by going for those all-stars at forward, and ignoring team composition/chemistry/defense.

For the record: I'm not necessarily opposed to the MSL trade given the situation with Cally. While it presumably will help a ton with scoring, it opens up a pretty big hole in NYR's team defense; something that is incredibly important in playoffs. And it raises serious questions in my mind (who am I kidding, they already existed; so moreso solidifies these questions) of whether this GM ever has any ****ing plan what-so-ever for this team. Guy goes after the big names season after season after season. Tired of his ****.

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I like how AV doesn't juggle lines compulsively like Torts did, but he needs to shake things up a bit. Reunite the Staal and Girardi pairing and find a way to break up Stepan and Nash.

And pray that Zuccarello can go on Friday

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad