Toronto Maple Leafs - 2022 Entry Draft - 2nd Rd Pick (38th OA) - Fraser Minten (C)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
not say to he's looked bad (actually been fairly impressive considering that he's just 19 and forced his way onto the team) but it seems like he's had a bit of an issue keeping up with the pace of play so far.

Keep him around for the 9 games since he's earned that chance but ultimately, I think the best route for him would be go back to junior, build his confidence and let him suit up for Canada at the world juniors and then see what he can do next year.

Definitely a promising prospect!

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Minten holding his own at the dot.
No points yet.
Even +/-

Advanced stats?
52.3% xGF and 58.3% HDCF, so good there.

Its really just the fourth line getting dominated in advanced stats. Knies is also poor, but settled in between the fourth line and the rest of the team.

Minten's lines been solid after a bad MTL game

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The knock on Minten last year, was that he scored a large percentage of his points on the PP. 32 points on the PP, 37 points in 57 games otherwise.

The talk about Minten, when it was expected he'd be back in Kamloops, was that he would get top line duties, and to be able to work on his 5v5 scoring, develop that more.

Now he's in the NHL, and hadn't fully developed his 5v5 offensive game. He's playing well other than the puck going in the net when he's out there... but it kind of is what it is, he didn't have an offensively developed game in the Juniors. He looks mostly NHL ready, but I don't think his offense is there yet. It's not that I think he's a bad player, but if we want the most out of him long-term, he really should go back.

Minten also is fairly balanced in goals to assists production... and Knies needs a setup guy. Domi can be that setup guy, but hasn't meshed with the team yet. Holmberg is also a pretty good setup guy, and likely would have put up more points last year, had there been linemates for him who could score.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Why do people think sending a prospect back to junior builds confidence? The biggest confidence boost in the world is to make a pro team. What can you learn in juniors, that you can't learn from NHL coaching?
There's no question. If only TOR were rebuilding then there would be plenty of runway for Minton to develop as a NHLer. If Minton makes it past his trial period, then TOR truly is thin at C. I like Minton. I am in his corner, but it wouldn't surprise me if he got demoted.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Why do people think sending a prospect back to junior builds confidence? The biggest confidence boost in the world is to make a pro team. What can you learn in juniors, that you can't learn from NHL coaching?

Very few 19 year olds body can consistently withstand the hitting and the grind of NHL. He still has a teenagers body.

Especially for the leafs. There really isn't any need for him. Considering Holmberg, Mcmann are ready. Also we owe them a proper opportunity

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

The NHL isn't a development league.

Sure, there is some development to go, but Minten has a lot to learn still, and needs to practise that at a lower level. Just playing the game, and keeping up is a challenge at this point, and he's doing a pretty good job at it. But his track record is one where if he ever achieves David Kampfs level of scoring, that would be remarkable.

Send him back to Kamloops, let him be the go to guy, and have the opportunity to be the primary scoring threat offensively. He doesn't get that opportunity with the Leafs. He's playing less than 12 minutes a game for us.... In Juniors, he'll play more that 20 minutes... and more ice time, playing time, in top offensive situations, will allow him to learn more, do more, and gain more belief in his ability. Making the team is a confidence boost, but continuing to be the guy who doesn't put up points, will stunt his future offensive output. Understand, this is a guy who even last year, didn't put up the 5v5 points in Junior, you'd want out of a legitimate #3C... if you want this guy to be a 3C, you send him back to develop more.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He’s been better on the draw than Matthews this year, how many rookies start at 54 percent? I find that amazing. He hasn’t been on the ice for a goal against, people need to chill, let him get up to speed, did you really think he’d be a house on fire offensively straight away? I didn’t, he isn’t a liability at all out there,I say it’s a success so far. He’s been way better than Kampf too at center, so why in the world would you send him down? He’s on a decent line, learning from pros, I fail to see how this hurting his development, quite the contrary actually.

Reactions: myleafs and horner

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario

Sure, there is some development to go, but Minten has a lot to learn still, and needs to practise that at a lower level. Just playing the game, and keeping up is a challenge at this point, and he's doing a pretty good job at it. But his track record is one where if he ever achieves David Kampfs level of scoring, that would be remarkable.

Send him back to Kamloops, let him be the go to guy, and have the opportunity to be the primary scoring threat offensively. He doesn't get that opportunity with the Leafs. He's playing less than 12 minutes a game for us.... In Juniors, he'll play more that 20 minutes... and more ice time, playing time, in top offensive situations, will allow him to learn more, do more, and gain more belief in his ability. Making the team is a confidence boost, but continuing to be the guy who doesn't put up points, will stunt his future offensive output. Understand, this is a guy who even last year, didn't put up the 5v5 points in Junior, you'd want out of a legitimate #3C... if you want this guy to be a 3C, you send him back to develop more.

you absolutely can develop your game a lot in the NHL, in fact he probably would have more time to work on his game in practice then at the junior level with better facilities. there are a lot of players who need to be challenged in order to get better and the NHL would provide that. the notion every player needs to be the star in Junior to be a great or good NHLer is incorrect.

also what if he goes back and doesn't improve his offensive game and that hurts his confidence? Kamloops in the early season is 1-6-2. doesn't seem like a team he can go back to with a lot of help or quality to play with down there they've won 1 game out of 9 and sit last in the WHL.

Reactions: Jeffrey Pedler

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He looks ok out on ice to me .. holding his own as an 18/19 year old .. but Holmberg i think can do same thing .. it is a 50/50 thing whether he goes back to junior/ world juniors or stays with Leafs .. he will develop more in junior and build more confidence for sure .. but comes down to keefer and whether he thinks Holmberg can play at same level as da kid

Reactions: leafers and Smif

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
you absolutely can develop your game a lot in the NHL, in fact he probably would have more time to work on his game in practice then at the junior level with better facilities. there are a lot of players who need to be challenged in order to get better and the NHL would provide that. the notion every player needs to be the star in Junior to be a great or good NHLer is incorrect.

also what if he goes back and doesn't improve his offensive game and that hurts his confidence? Kamloops in the early season is 1-6-2. doesn't seem like a team he can go back to with a lot of help or quality to play with down there they've won 1 game out of 9 and sit last in the WHL.
Kamloops isn't very good now for sure... they mainly need a 1C.... :laugh: and defense...

It's pretty rare for a player who hasn't put up 5v5 points in the NHL, and develop that, when they didn't at the Junior level. This is just one of those things, that you need to develop in game, with opportunity. I appreciate that coaching at the NHL level is better, and that he's got some fantastic offensive players around him, but I hope he takes what he's learning up here, and applies it there.

If he goes back to the Junior level, and doesn't improve his offensive game... it's just not there, and never will or would have been. There are some scoring wingers on the team... a few PPG guys, but no C depth.

One interesting note, his younger brother Bryce is on the team too.... I don't think Bryce amounts to anything, but it's an interesting side note.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
He looks ok out on ice to me .. holding his own as an 18/19 year old .. but Holmberg i think can do same thing .. it is a 50/50 thing whether he goes back to junior/ world juniors or stays with Leafs .. he will develop more in junior and build more confidence for sure .. but comes down to keefer and whether he thinks Holmberg can play at same level as da kid
If Holmberg plays at least at the same level he did last season he will improve our team more than Minten for now.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
I don't believe the Leafs feel ok with Minten/Holmberg lining up in the playoffs against, say, point/cirelli if last change is not available to them. Ultimately, I think they will trade for a 3C.

In this situation, Holmberg is further along in his development so being healthy scratched or sent down to the AHL would not be the end of the world. Minten, however, playing 2/3 season only to be scratched(needs to play) or sent down to juniors doesn't make sense to me as they burn a year of his ELC.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
As much as I like Minten, he obviously needs to be returned to Junior. Robertson is much more ready to be a Leaf then Minten. Have a great year in junior and hopefully make the Canadian national team and come back more ready next year.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Kamloops in the early season is 1-6-2. doesn't seem like a team he can go back to with a lot of help or quality to play with down there they've won 1 game out of 9 and sit last in the WHL.

Not a big deal. He'd only have about 5 weeks in Kamloops.

Keep him to the 9 game mark which at the earliest is the end of this month. Then he plays for Kamloops till very early December. Then stays with the World Junior team till very early January.

Then he's dealt before the WHL trade deadline in early January and can help lead a contender deep into the playoffs while playing 20+ key minutes.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
He’s been better on the draw than Matthews this year, how many rookies start at 54 percent? I find that amazing. He hasn’t been on the ice for a goal against, people need to chill, let him get up to speed, did you really think he’d be a house on fire offensively straight away? I didn’t, he isn’t a liability at all out there,I say it’s a success so far. He’s been way better than Kampf too at center, so why in the world would you send him down? He’s on a decent line, learning from pros, I fail to see how this hurting his development, quite the contrary actually.
I would like to see Marner and nylander moreso Marner take a few shifts with Minten and Knies. Think it would do wonders for them.

Reactions: DarkKnight

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Not a big deal. He'd only have about 5 weeks in Kamloops.

Keep him to the 9 game mark which at the earliest is the end of this month. Then he plays for Kamloops till very early December. Then stays with the World Junior team till very early January.

Then he's dealt before the WHL trade deadline in early January and can help lead a contender deep into the playoffs while playing 20+ key minutes.
Honestly he shouldnt spend a day in Kamloops if we dont want him to. as long as we have the LTIR room we should stretch the 9 games. If we get to game 5-6 and he's iffy call up Holmberg, give him a couple weeks to watch and soak up more NHL experience. Let him play the last 3 before junior camp, and if sent to WJC let it he known that he's going back to the dub, but not Kamloops. Trade will happen accordingly

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Been pleased with his game .. on the door for a lot of offensive chances, solid on the dot and in his own zone. Smart plays.

Feels like he just needs a goal or two to ease that pressure off of him.

Doesn't seem overmatched though.

Reactions: DarkKnight

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Been pleased with his game .. on the door for a lot of offensive chances, solid on the dot and in his own zone. Smart plays.

Feels like he just needs a goal or two to ease that pressure off of him.

Doesn't seem overmatched though.
Looked like he fanned on a couple chances Monday that looked like nerves. He’ll get one soon enough.

Reactions: horner

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018

No player is polished coming into the NHL. Even Crosby wasn't polished hid rookie year and had to get stronger in the dot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad