Toronto Maple Leafs - 2022 Entry Draft - 2nd Rd Pick (38th OA) - Fraser Minten (C)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
In general a team gets their best bang for your Cap buck when players are on their 3 year max entry level contracts that are at there own Salary cap upper limit and less than $1 mil.

Leafs already burned a year of ELC on Knies last year.

Teams like to make hay when players are on ELCs and generally not pushing to get out of them. Then also consider it moves a player closer to free agency and also to arbitration qualifications the more years of service they register early on.

Bigger picture if the Leafs keep Minten and place a player like Lafferty on waivers and perhaps lose him and then Mitten gets sent back to junior shortly thereafter questionable asset management discussions become part of the equation, So if the Leafs keep Minten they better expect him to stay and make an impact beyond what keeping an Holmberg would instead.

Sam Lafferty was out played in camp by 4 players minimum.

Those 4 being

Cowan
Minten
Holmberg
Gregor

And again that's the minimum.

Sam Lafferty is simply not needed

Reactions: exporta and Smif

Mckay

One does not simply... Ooo Coffee.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
Hilarious to go back to first few pages and read reaction to drafting him. It's always the same, many shit on a player they have never seen play while pissed we didn't pick some other player they have never seen play(but they show up a little higher on a list)

horner

May 22, 2007
It feels for too long the Vets were given spots over our young players. Nice to see that ending.
Next year Coen may be ready.

Hilarious to go back to first few pages and read reaction to drafting him. It's always the same, many shit on a player they have never seen play while pissed we didn't pick some other player they have never seen play(but they show up a little higher on a list)
Cowen got the same reaction.

Reactions: exporta

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Obviously too early to say how it will work out but Leafs under Dubas had Minten rated in the top 15.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Obviously too early to say how it will work out but Leafs under Dubas had Minten rated in the top 15.

I really thought after this camp he'd be cut but would be penciled into next year's roster as long as he tore it up in the WHL + WJC

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
not the most conventional development path but he seems similar to what O'Reilly was/is in the way that he relies more on great positioning, reading plays, and hard work instead of high natural skill and it worked great for him so why not?
He's definitely earned the shot!

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Congratulations to the kid. His maturity is impressive. Play hard and intelligent hockey and you’ll thrive in this market. Just try not to get caught up in the noise, trust the people you’ve trusted, they seem to have guided you well.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Shocked he made the team. When they drafted him I though he was still 2 years away from being 2 years away. Congrats Kid

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Keefe had some interesting comments, said he ” wasn’t even on their radar” coming into camp, but did say a couple scouts who had watched Minten closely said he may be closer than the organization thinks coming into camp.
I really hated the Minten and Cowen picks at the time but I don't think I'm gonna be doubting our scouts anymore after this recent camp.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Minten- potential 9 game NHL debut:
Oct 11, 2023vs
team logo
Montreal
7:00 pmScotiabank ArenaKid gets opening night against the rivals. Shut down Caufield please.
Oct 14, 2023vs
team logo
Minnesota
7:00 pmScotiabank ArenaWild are a big heavy team. Good test for him, but he’ll have lots of energy in his 2nd game
Oct 16, 2023vs
team logo
Chicago
7:00 pmScotiabank ArenaPlays against his buddy Berard should be lots of motivation
Oct 19, 2023@
team logo
Florida
7:00 pmAmerant Bank Arena5 game Road trip starts against playoff nemesis. Should be a violent one
Oct 21, 2023@
team logo
Tampa Bay
7:00 pmAmalie ArenaTampa still have plenty of stars. Cerelli is a good player to compete and test himself against
Oct 24, 2023@
team logo
Washington
6:00 pm
ESPN
Capital One ArenaRetooled and always tough at home. Sandin is fresh for the picking though.
Oct 26, 2023@
team logo
Dallas
8:00 pmAmerican Airlines CenterPlane trip to Texas, Stars were good to end the season.
Oct 28, 2023@
team logo
Nashville
7:00 pm
NHL
Bridgestone ArenaLast road game, staff should be aware of his ability to handle a typical few weeks in the NHL playing some good teams and players by now.
Oct 31, 2023vs
team logo
Los Angeles
Back home, will this be his curtain call in the NHL this season or a welcome to full time NHL celebration
Trick or Treat.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think it's because we rushed Schenn I typically am overly cautious about promoting the kids at 18-19-20 years old but I have to remember we rushed Schenn, put him in a big role on a bad team.

Minten at his age can probably handle 3rd line centre duties, he's not being asked to do a lot and we're a much better team than we were back then.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I think a lot of that is some posters do a little video scouting and convince themselves the guy they like is undoubtedly the player professional scouts should also prefer.
I get why they do the video scouting, it's enjoyable and I do it too but I go into it with the understanding that i'm an amateur and have no expectations that my list would resemble that of a professional. So while that approach may deprive me of a rare "told you so" opportunity it undoubtedly saves me from myself more often than not.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Scale of CHL 2 way C's that made the NHL as teens

Sutter-Stajan - bottom 6'ers
Fisher- High end 3C / low end 2C
Couturier - high end 2C / low end 1C
O'Rielly- 1C
Bergeron - HOF Elite 1C

I'm not letting myself hope for anything more than a Fisher, and that would make me very happy. Despite his being a hated Sen I always loved the way Fisher played when I was a kid/teen.

Last edited:

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I couldn't be happier for the kid. We desperately need some quality young players on ELCs to round out our roster and I am hoping Minten and Knies can provide that. It would also be nice for Holmberg to continue to develop and Robertson getting some better luck this year. I like our depth on paper going into this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad