Toronto Maple Leafs - 2022 Entry Draft - 2nd Rd Pick (38th OA) - Fraser Minten (C)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
No player is polished coming into the NHL. Even Crosby wasn't polished hid rookie year and had to get stronger in the dot.

Every young player develops in the NHL, even McDavid is better today than when he first suited up for the Oilers.

If you waited until the player was fully developed every player would enter on their decline.

horner

May 22, 2007
Every young player develops in the NHL, even McDavid is better today than when he first suited up for the Oilers.

If you waited until the player was fully developed every player would enter on their decline.
Alot of players pick up bad habits in junior, sometimes can't be fixed.
Minten is already posotionally strong defensively .
FOs 53 % only going to learn more
He needs to get stronger.

In the future I think he will be a
15 g 50 pt defensive centerman
Top FO centerman

The one thing Minten has going for him.is his hockey sense and high IQ

Knies hasn't fully developed yet, he's better here than playing in the ahl.

Last edited:

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I really like what he brings to the bottom of the line up with the youthful energy.

Undecided on if he should be sent down, I'd like to see a few more games. I don't think every prospect should "marinate and dominate" in lower leagues just because that sometimes works out.

With that being said, it will be hard to keep Robertson down if we continue to struggle with secondary scoring.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Every prospect is different, it’s up to player development to know what’s best for the individual.
Shame Marlies isn’t an option.

Reactions: ULF_55

horner

May 22, 2007
Why do people think sending a prospect back to junior builds confidence? The biggest confidence boost in the world is to make a pro team. What can you learn in juniors, that you can't learn from NHL coaching?
or the high quality nhl players we have

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
If hes able to go about even in his match ups i dont see a reason to send him back down. Its pretty unlikely Minten becomes a PPG 1C, so I don't think letting him dominate in juniors is that big of a deal. He can already do well on the defensive side of things in the NHL, and that is typically the biggest hurdle of breaking into the NHL. Just because hes playing in the NHL at 19 instead of the WHL doesnt mean hes going to stagnate at a 20 points a year C. Players get better offensively playing in the NHL all the time.

horner

May 22, 2007
I really like what he brings to the bottom of the line up with the youthful energy.

Undecided on if he should be sent down, I'd like to see a few more games. I don't think every prospect should "marinate and dominate" in lower leagues just because that sometimes works out.

With that being said, it will be hard to keep Robertson down if we continue to struggle with secondary scoring.
For Robertson it's all about his play away from the puck and not turning over the puck.
Holmberg and McMann are knocking at the door

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If hes able to go about even in his match ups i dont see a reason to send him back down. Its pretty unlikely Minten becomes a PPG 1C, so I don't think letting him dominate in juniors is that big of a deal. He can already do well on the defensive side of things in the NHL, and that is typically the biggest hurdle of breaking into the NHL. Just because hes playing in the NHL at 19 instead of the WHL doesnt mean hes going to stagnate at a 20 points a year C. Players get better offensively playing in the NHL all the time.
Maturity would be one reason to send a player back, doesn't seem to be the case with Minten.
I'd keep him up as long as he stays responsible.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Not a big deal. He'd only have about 5 weeks in Kamloops.

Keep him to the 9 game mark which at the earliest is the end of this month. Then he plays for Kamloops till very early December. Then stays with the World Junior team till very early January.

Then he's dealt before the WHL trade deadline in early January and can help lead a contender deep into the playoffs while playing 20+ key minutes.

how'd that work for Shane Wright? not saying it will be the same results but this is basically the season Shane had last season.

again I'm not saying he shouldn't go down but a lot of people think there's only one way to develop and that's in Juniors and it's not when certain people get to the top they relax. there better and stride harder to improve when there challenged.

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
He’s not doing enough to justify a spot over Holmberg and right now this environment isn’t conducive to development. Team has no chemistry and Keefe is panicking throwing the lines into a blender and Minten’s (and Knies’ for that matter) ice time is suffering for it.
Being positional sound is great, but producing zero offense and is your 3rd line center? Despite the overhype by Toronto media, he needs to go back to junior.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Can’t have Kampf and Minten both in the lineup. Both provide zero offence. It’s been a great story for Minten but it’ll be best for him to return to junior and work on his offensive game because the defensive side is definitely there.
Im not sure they have an offensive option.

Reactions: TMLAM34

horner

May 22, 2007
Until the cap goes up next year we can't really do alot unless treliving is going to
Trade
Jamcrock and Kampf for picks

Bring up holmberg and McMann

Trade for a dman

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It appear 19-year-old Fraser Minten, who for all intents and purposes appears to be a healthy scratch tomorrow night in Tampa Bay if the lines remain the same.

Minten's 4 games to date:

vs Montreal: 0 points, minus-1 rating, 1 shot on goal, 11:32 TOI

vs Minnesota: 0 points, plus-1 rating, 0 shots, 14:00 TOI

vs Chicago: 0 points, even-rating, 1 shot on goal, 11:25 TOI

@ Florida: 0 points, even-rating, 2 PIMs, 1 shot on goal, 8:47 TOI

After grabbing hold of a spot out of training camp, Sheldon Keefe and Brad Treliving had stated that it's not about seeing if he can hang in the NHL as a 19-year-old. It's more about seeing if he can help the team win games. So far, Minten has played to mixed results and hasn't quite stood out on a consistent basis, though it bears mentioning that he has created a number of solid chances. If he can find a way to convert on them moving forward, perhaps he'll make a case for himself that he belongs on the roster beyond the 9-game trial.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Being the primary option in Jr. while still being defensively responsible should make him a better player. He's only ever been a 3rd line centre for Kamloops. It's his turn finally now that the older guys have left the team.

KaN19

Jun 25, 2023
Pre-season hype went overboard. Let him cook in Kamloops another season with a bigger role, and maybe even a bit with the Marlies next year.

Most teams have a couple Minten level prospects, but our prospect pool has been shallow for so many years that we begin foaming at the mouth the minute a rookie with some semblance of talent shows up to camp.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
how'd that work for Shane Wright? not saying it will be the same results but this is basically the season Shane had last season.

again I'm not saying he shouldn't go down but a lot of people think there's only one way to develop and that's in Juniors and it's not when certain people get to the top they relax. there better and stride harder to improve when there challenged.

So Seattle should have kept Wright in the NHL and continued to barely play him?

Anyways, Wright is an awful comparable. Wright was a 4th overall pick who had play in multiple international competitions including the summer Under 20 COVID tournament, had over 90 points in his draft year, etc., etc.

Minten has never played internationally and in his Draft + 1 year put up just okay offensive numbers for a legitimate prospect. He's got lots to learn by being sent down.

Reactions: Thornbury

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad