Toronto Maple Leafs - 2022 Entry Draft - 2nd Rd Pick (38th OA) - Fraser Minten (C)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Pre-season hype went overboard. Let him cook in Kamloops another season with a bigger role, and maybe even a bit with the Marlies next year.

Most teams have a couple Minten level prospects, but our prospect pool has been shallow for so many years that we begin foaming at the mouth the minute a rookie with some semblance of talent shows up to camp.

Minten legitimately had a very good camp and earned the look he’s been getting. It don’t think the hype went overboard at all especially when you consider most of us straight up expected him to be returned to Kamloops before the season started.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
If hes able to go about even in his match ups i dont see a reason to send him back down. Its pretty unlikely Minten becomes a PPG 1C, so I don't think letting him dominate in juniors is that big of a deal. He can already do well on the defensive side of things in the NHL, and that is typically the biggest hurdle of breaking into the NHL. Just because hes playing in the NHL at 19 instead of the WHL doesnt mean hes going to stagnate at a 20 points a year C. Players get better offensively playing in the NHL all the time.
He's here to be a shutdown centre. The goals will come with time. We ne need cheap options.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Minten legitimately had a very good camp and earned the look he’s been getting. It don’t think the hype went overboard at all especially when you consider most of us straight up expected him to be returned to Kamloops before the season started.
Minten has a very high hockey IQ. He just needs to work on the strength and skating aspects of his game. I think he's an NHL player next season.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

The other part is Keefe is no longer playing him 15/16 minutes a night where he has time to be a difference maker. Minten made a few mistakes in preseason to but he always got the opportunity to get right back out there. Now those opportunities aren’t there anymore

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
The other part is Keefe is no longer playing him 15/16 minutes a night where he has time to be a difference maker. Minten made a few mistakes in preseason to but he always got the opportunity to get right back out there. Now those opportunities aren’t there anymore

Typical Sheldon Keefe “coaching” of a young player.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Minten has a very high hockey IQ. He just needs to work on the strength and skating aspects of his game. I think he's an NHL player next season.
Elite IQ is useless if you can't skate and you're weak. Game has changed. You need legs and if you don't have legs you need to be a beast.

It's not looking good for Minten being a permanent member of a cup run anytime soon.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Elite IQ is useless if you can't skate and you're weak. Game has changed. You need legs and if you don't have legs you need to be a beast.

It's not looking good for Minten being a permanent member of a cup run anytime soon.
Draft Schmaft. Prospects Schmospects.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
He is 19 lol
I don't see enough of a foundation to compensate. Lets also assume every other player in the league his age or under 28 can get better too (by better I mean their skating and strength). The amount of improvement he will need to be a staple on a contender is significant (relative improvement). I don't see it happening.

Last edited:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I don't see enough of a foundation to compensate. Lets also assume every other player in the league his age or under 28 can get better too (by better I mean their skating and strength). The amount of improvement he will need to be a staple on a contender is significant (relative improvement). I don't see it happening.
Seems rather ridiculous to me but you do you.

Reactions: Coaches Coroner

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Based on what?

So why were all those "every other player in the league his age or under" unable to rise to the occasion during preseason?

Based on how you've written this post, they'd really have next no chance of being on a NHL team let alone a contender.

You can't have it both ways. He made it past preseason but won't ever be good enough but those same age who aren't good enough today will be better than he is tomorrow. How does that even make sense?

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
This is an outrageous take on a 19 year old. This kid has taken massive steps over the past year and forced his way onto one of the deepest forward lineups in the NHL at 19. 99.9% of his peers were cut a month ago and have been playing junior.

Yeah, he's definitely not going to improve enough to ever make a good team. No way a team will ever win with this loser 😂

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad