Toronto Maple Leafs - 2022 Entry Draft - 2nd Rd Pick (38th OA) - Fraser Minten (C)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018

EDMONTON—Add scout and draft critic to the resumé of Canadian junior hockey star Connor Bedard, who thinks the Maple Leafs got the steal of this year’s draft in Fraser Minten.

Bedard might be biased. The two are good friends and former linemates, for two seasons at West Vancouver Academy before going their separate ways in the Western Hockey League.

“I remember before our bantam season, he wasn’t even really projected to get drafted into the WHL,” says the 17-year-old Bedard, who helped Canada advance to Saturday’s final at the world junior hockey championship at Rogers Place. “He put up, like, 70 points or something like that, so I knew he was going to be the steal of the draft. To see him going as high as he did to Toronto, one of the biggest franchises — he was pumped. It was really cool for me to see that.”

Minten, a crafty centre with the Kamloops Blazers, was the Leafs’ first choice in the July draft, 38th overall. Joining him at Montreal’s Bell Centre that night was Bedard.

“He was obviously a big help in my career,” Minten says of Bedard, “from playing with him and just learning so much from being by his side, and watching how hard he works every day and how much he gives to the game ... So, it was really cool for him to be there and it was really good for him, as well, getting a bit of a look at what it’s like in person prior to (his draft year).”

As for Minten, he was in Toronto this past week working out with future teammates. That was just after a trip to Canada’s summer development camp, in hopes of earning a spot for the next world junior championship starting Boxing Day in Moncton and Halifax.

“That was really an experience,” he says, “my first time getting that opportunity with Hockey Canada. I had a good time personally, and hopefully (I’ll) have a good start to my season and get an invite back for December.”
Have we never got the steal of the draft? If so, it's news to me. I remember when Dmytro Timashov was the steal of the draft. Lickle bit after SDA.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Get over it. It’s a board that was started to discuss and follow prospects. Yeah big shock people will get excited about guys their team drafted in a place like that.

Go to any teams board just after the draft and their fans will be excited about some draftee that some think is a massive steal.

People complaining about guys getting excited for prospects is more annoying than the guys that do get hyped for them.

Last edited by a moderator:

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
I'm a bit psychic and I just had a flash of this kid with an A on his white Leafs jersey skating with the cup over his head. Sleeve number was too rumpled and then it was gone. Not joking. About a month ago I jumped up as my kid released a ball the got lined back and hit him in the ass...he was fine but the other parents were freaked out. :) Pretty good vibes about XRP too...

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I’m just saying, the fan base negativity is justified, if not always logical. You’re right of course.
"The fanbase negativity" doesn't make any sense. Each season is a fresh start, and each new prospect is not in any way impacted by the failures of past groups.

To infect every new thread with it because the team made you sad 6 months ago is just kind of pathetic, to be honest. Relevant in the many, many Dubas threads but stop spreading that to every other conversation the fanbase has. Minten has nothing to do with SDA's stagnation or the Leafs losing to Tampa in 7.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
"The fanbase negativity" doesn't make any sense. Each season is a fresh start, and each new prospect is not in any way impacted by the failures of past groups.

To infect every new thread with it because the team made you sad 6 months ago is just kind of pathetic, to be honest. Relevant in the many, many Dubas threads but stop spreading that to every other conversation the fanbase has.
Sure I’ll be cheering them on every game, but the scars don’t go away, particularly basically the same presentation . That doesn’t make sense either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad hatter

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Posts like this remind me that some folks will NEVER miss an opportunity to complain and be miserable.

There are similar reminders everywhere on HF.

It's like spring in the backyard when you didn't scoop all winter. 'Reminders' EVERYWHERE!!!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What does our playoff performance have to do with a prospect selected a few months ago?
Funny you should say that, but in this case there is a clear and obvious connection here ..

1) Leafs lose in round #1 again.
2) Leafs decide to move on from Jack Campbell, looking for a new goalie that they believe can change that outcome.
3) Leafs decide that Matt Murray is their next guy, and look to add him via trade, but they lack the salary cap room even with retention to do so.
4) Leafs trade goalie Petr Mrazek a failed UFA signing to Chicago with their 1st round pick (25th OA) for a Chicago 2nd rounder (#38th overall) to create cap space.
5) With the #38 pick in the 2022 draft the Leafs select Fraser Minten.

Fraser Minten is the direct fallout, from another Leafs disappointing failed playoffs a few months ago forcing change,compounded by a poor USA signing Mrazek and erasing another GM mistake.

Leaf Fans that follow the entry draft closely, see a young offensive stud like forward Jiří Kulich of Czechia gets drafted by Buffalo at #28 a few spots after Leafs original pick.. Kulich goes on to be a stud at the recent WJC posting 7 games 2-6-8 points, including scoring 1 goal and 2 assists named star of the game as his vast underdog team upsets the highly favouored USA team in the quarterfinals and sends Matt Knies and his teammates packing from the tourney.

So when Leaf fans ask what does Leafs playoff failure (lost in round #1) or bad UFA signings (Mrazek) costing them their 1st & a mere 13 draft spots, or how mockingly did Minton do in the WJC (he didn't play), while other players drafted between Leafs original 1st excelled in the tournament, its all connected ,and all roads lead back to the Leafs GM. :wg:

Last edited:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Funny you should say that, but in this case there is a clear and obvious connection here ..

1) Leafs lose in round #1 again.
2) Leafs decide to move on from Jack Campbell, looking for a new goalie that they believe can change that outcome.
3) Leafs decide that Matt Murray is their next guy, and look to add him via trade, but they lack the salary cap room even with retention to do so.
4) Leafs trade goalie Petr Mrazek a failed UFA signing to Chicago with their 1st round pick (25th OA) for a Chicago 2nd rounder (#38th overall) to create cap space.
5) With the #38 pick in the 2022 draft the Leafs select Fraser Minton.

Fraser Minton is the direct fallout, from another Leafs disappointing failed playoffs a few months ago forcing change,compounded by a poor USA signing Mrazek and erasing another GM mistake.

Leaf Fans that follow the entry draft closely, see a young offensive stud like forward Jiří Kulich of Czechia gets drafted by Buffalo at #28 a few spots after Leafs original pick.. Kulich goes on to be a stud at the recent WJC posting 7 games 2-6-8 points, including scoring 1 goal and 2 assists named star of the game as his vast underdog team upsets the highly favouored USA team in the quarterfinals and sends Matt Knies and his teammates packing from the tourney.

So when Leaf fans ask what does Leafs playoff failure (lost in round #1) or bad UFA signings (Mrazek) costing them their 1st & a mere 13 draft spots, or how mockingly did Minton do in the WJC (he didn't play), while other players drafted between Leafs original 1st excelled in the tournament, its all connected ,and all roads lead back to the Leafs GM. :wg:
A big leap. What players between 25 and 38 played in the tournament? You mentioned Kulich.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad