Proposal: Toronto - Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Just curious, what would it cost to pry Andrew Peeke from you guys? Thanks

I don't know if that could be a sensible trade.

He's developing, the Jackets are rebuilding, and he's the only player of his kind (a hard-hitting shutdown RD) in the org. It would need a 1st or something to get the Jackets receptive to trading Peeke and that would frankly be an overpayment for his overall game in the short run. He's not very good with puck movement at the moment.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Not saying I agree with it, but the opinion shared by players seems to be that it’s really boring.

I mean, they seem to be having a good time when I see them out having a good time.

A decent amount of ex-players live in Columbus, too. A ton of sports figures in general.

I know this isn't necessarily how you feel. Just adding.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I mean, they seem to be having a good time when I see them out having a good time.

It’s very possible, that was the narrative around some key UFA’s though. I’m not saying I agree with the narrative, just that’s what it was.

KniespassZegras

Jan 2, 2022
No interest in Laine. Probably a locker room cancer, defensively ineffective. We would rather keep marner who is better defensively and has a higher skill set. In order to pry marner from Toronto you're looking at Werenski plus Laine imo.

my guy really thought this was a good post

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I don't know if that could be a sensible trade.

He's developing, the Jackets are rebuilding, and he's the only player of his kind (a hard-hitting shutdown RD) in the org. It would need a 1st or something to get the Jackets receptive to trading Peeke and that would frankly be an overpayment for his overall game in the short run. He's not very good with puck movement at the moment.

Thanks for the answer. Do you have quality puck moving RD in the system?

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
Well, the thought of the trade is to make Toronto better for the playoffs and have 2-scorers on the team instead of one. Domi adds grit, what the Leafs have been lacking. Matthews on PP1 and Laine on PP2. It also helps to have the scoring spread to 2-lines when 5vs5. It doesnt matter who the best player in a deal is, if he is severely overpaid. I think this deal would make sense for both teams, as Jackets desperetly need a playmaker. They have scorers. Laine is still an RFA, so he can be extended if it works out.
Kampf can be switched for another player at same caphit. Didnt actually know he was a big part of your PK.

And what on Mr.Laines resume suggests in anyway that he would be the 2md best goal scorer on this team. I think he has scored more goals than Tavares once and since than has looked inept.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
They're not. It's just trolling.

This isn't even credible. Marner is a huge upgrade on Laine. An $11m upgrade? Maybe not, possibly not worth the trade. But there's nothing lateral about that trade from a CBJ perspective. They need Marner type players.
You think Marner is putting up massive numbers on a Columbus team? Yea doubt that.

At 11Mil, I'll pass.

I absolutely shudder to think at what Laine would score playing on Matthews wing. Marner is the overall better player but Laine fills such a need for some many teams. I think tonight was the first solid one time pass Laine received off a rush in maybe ever in a CBJ uniform.

People are so eager to sell low on Laine it's just dumb, he's 23 and already scored 40 goals. Go recreate a similar situation in WPG for him to thrive. He'd 100% have that in Toronto.

Last edited:

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio

A decent amount of ex-players live in Columbus, too. A ton of sports figures in general.

I know this isn't necessarily how you feel. Just adding.

It’s very possible, that was the narrative around some key UFA’s though. I’m not saying I agree with the narrative, just that’s what it was.

My view is Columbus is a great city if you are married with kids - hence the number of retired players. It also has a huge university, so if you are 20-23 and on your first contract (so you have some money but not crazy money) looking for lots of girls your age, it is fantastic. Where it has a problem is if you are an unmarried 25-30 year old making millions of dollars and looking to have a good time. It is probably a pretty boring place compared to many NHL cities for that demographic. And that is what the free agents are.

Last edited:

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Don't want Laine
Don't want Domi
Don't want to move Kampf
And Marner isn't going anywhere, though if/when the Leafs flop again in the first round he'll be on the table. But not for any package involving Laine or Domi.

Right now the Leafs are as solid up front as they have been since they drafted Auston. The real weakness remains on the blue line as Holl has been bad, Muzzin has been shaky and they are one injury among their d-men away from being run over in the first round.

(Yes, they have really solid defensive numbers so far but as any Leafs fan watching them this season will tell you, Jack is a legit MVP candidate for this team. He's bailed out the frequent turnovers and brain cramps from the starting six so many times that he's actually made non-watchers of this team believe their blueline is at the very least, solid. It's not.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad