Proposal: Toronto - Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Syed Ammad rizvi

Nov 1, 2020
No interest in Laine. Probably a locker room cancer, defensively ineffective. We would rather keep marner who is better defensively and has a higher skill set. In order to pry marner from Toronto you're looking at Werenski plus Laine imo.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto is contending and want to go all the way. They are up against the cap and have loads of cash invested in a few players. They could also need some grit for playoffs. Columbus need playmakers. They have tried to get a C for years and it isnt any closer. Marner is a great playmaker but he is overpaid by 2M. Would this make sense:

Toronto get:

Patrick Laine 7,5M RFA 2022
Max Domi 5,3M UFA 2022

Columbus get:

Mitchell Marner 10,9M UFA 2025
David Kampf 1.5M UFA 2023

Toronto would look tougher for playoffs:

Bunting - Matthews - Kerfoot
Laine - Tavares - Nylander
Kase - Domi - Mikheyev
Ritchie - Spezza - Simmonds
My biggest issue with the premise is Laine isnt signed long term.
He is an RFA this summer, and if you want to lock him in for another few years (assuming he works well down the stretch, and gets back to the Laine of 17-18, and not 20-21) are you going to be getting him for less than 9m+?

If you are only saving 1-2m if he works out, thats a large amount of risk.
Leafs wont be able to sign Domi to an extension, so he is a pure rental.

So Leafs give up the best player, give up two cost certain assets for none, with the best piece the Leafs get back being someone they hope isnt playing to their potential, and one of the im guaranteed to be a rental.

I would need a big + if I was the Leafs, preferably someone cost controlled who can fit. Texier? Maybe Chinakov if you think he is about to take a big step? Ceulmans if you think he is leaving College soon and can step in ahead of Liljgren and Holl (which doesnt help this year)

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
If Columbus is out by deadline, I’d rather trade for domi during the playoffs if team wants to go that route.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Domi is an easy pass.
Seems every team he goes to they(the fans at least) look to move him out.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Toronto is contending and want to go all the way. They are up against the cap and have loads of cash invested in a few players. They could also need some grit for playoffs. Columbus need playmakers. They have tried to get a C for years and it isnt any closer. Marner is a great playmaker but he is overpaid by 2M. Would this make sense:

Toronto get:

Patrick Laine 7,5M RFA 2022
Max Domi 5,3M UFA 2022

Columbus get:

Mitchell Marner 10,9M UFA 2025
David Kampf 1.5M UFA 2023

Toronto would look tougher for playoffs:

Bunting - Matthews - Kerfoot
Laine - Tavares - Nylander
Kase - Domi - Mikheyev
Ritchie - Spezza - Simmonds
Nobody want Marner at 10.9. Leafs would need to retain and if winning the Cup is what teams are shooting for Than Marner isn't the player you want leading you in the Playoffs.

Reactions: Columbus Jack

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Nobody want Marner at 10.9. Leafs would need to retain and if winning the Cup is what teams are shooting for Than Marner isn't the player you want leading you in the Playoffs.
Leafs are playing very well this year, and neither Laine or domi bring anything the leafs need. We are also fine keeping Marner as well.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
No interest in Laine. Probably a locker room cancer, defensively ineffective. We would rather keep marner who is better defensively and has a higher skill set. In order to pry marner from Toronto you're looking at Werenski plus Laine imo.
Why is he “probably a locker room cancer”?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
or Toronto could deal Marner for Chychrun and then sign Kane to a 1 year $1m deal.
Seems just as likely as the OP

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
Horrible value? Domi is in the proposal for the playoffs. Toronto is soft as coconut-milk as is. He brings some grit. Marner is overpaid for 2M+ and Domi is the throw-in with Laine as the centerpiece. I`ts getting frustrating how in any trade-proposal every team overvalue their overpaid players. We should actually get rid of the whole proposals from this forum. If you dont see how laine could be of value as the 2nd sniper on the 2nd line and Domi to give some grit/toughness to the team, you are blind.
It`s not like Marner has been some super-human in the playoffs. If you like to have soft, small overpaid wingers - Marners your man. He even produces points in the regular season with matthews, so you can pump his tires.
2nd line? You mean Nylander who is outscoring Domi by a lot. Their 2nd line is doing just fine

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio

You may not like the original offer or Laine's game in general (I don't either) but you are labeling him a cancer with no proof or past issues.

I wouldn't trade Werenski alone for Marner.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
You may not like the original offer or Laine's game in general (I don't either) but you are labeling him a cancer with no proof or past issues.

I wouldn't trade Werenski alone for Marner.
Don't blame you, I also wouldn't do the trade on Toronto end either. Adding Laine to werenski though is just a silly overpay.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
any Leaf/CBJ deal including Laine starts with Matthews in return
FC7E94A7-0554-4938-8B0C-9B112105E409.gif

Jun 27, 2005
any Leaf/CBJ deal including Laine starts with Matthews in return

I know that you're kidding or trolling but I looked it up and Laine has played just one more game than Matthews.

GPGAP
Matthews364221166387
Laine365154129283
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It's interesting that some people used to debate who was better.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
No thanks. Marner doesn't stop trying when things don't go his way and not to mention his game fits with Matthews. Matthews and Laine together doesn't make much sense they both want to shoot.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Marner already bitched about Cbus as a city. Don’t want him.

That's a little too defensive.

When the bubble playoffs were debated being placed in various destination cities like Vegas or Toronto, Columbus was floated and it wasn't a fair comparison. Everyone ought to understand that. It's a very nice city, just not a vacation spot.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
That's a little too defensive.

When the bubble playoffs were debated being placed in various destination cities like Vegas or Toronto, Columbus was floated and it wasn't a fair comparison. Everyone ought to understand that. It's a very nice city, just not a vacation spot.
You’re reading too much into it. He can say whatever he wants, and feel however he wants. Personally I just think he comes across as a whiner.

I just don’t want him regardless, for the package above.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad