Proposal: Toronto-Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
:leafs David Clarkson (1.25M Retained), Sonny Milano

:cbj Peter Holland, SJ 2018 3rd rd

leafs will have a pile of cap coming off the books at the end of the year one way or another. over 20M with only Zaitsev as a notable to re-sign, along with a few rookies that should come cheap.

leafs flex their financial muscle to bring back a young asset. columbus gets much needed cap relief as well as unloading a NMC, which will allow them to protect a guy like wennberg

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
From the New Jersey thread:
At the moment, the cost to move Clarkson would do Columbus more damage than good.

It's better to just hold onto him and eat the cap than give up someone super valuable like Jenner just to move him.

Change Jenner to Milano and the answer is the same... not worth it for the Jackets to give up a good piece to rid themselves of Clarkson.

If you want Clarkson, you can have him. If you don't, don't bother offering to take him.

And Clarkson almost assuredly will waive his NMC for the expansion draft. It's not a concern as he is at no risk of being selected or moved.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

Change Jenner to Milano and the answer is the same... not worth it for the Jackets to give up a good piece to rid themselves of Clarkson.

If you want Clarkson, you can have him. If you don't, don't bother offering to take him.

And Clarkson almost assuredly will waive his NMC for the expansion draft. It's not a concern as he is at no risk of being selected or moved.

Why would he waive his NMC and take the chance?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Why would he waive his NMC and take the chance?

Because there is no chance, even he knows it.

Basically he does the team a favor and it costs him nothing.

Plus, nobody could waive and Columbus could still protect Jenner, Saad, and Wennberg. That would expose Atkinson, but that's better than doing something dumb like giving up a good prospect just to dump a contract.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

nobody wants clarkson.....

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Milano isnt a good enough prospect to make this worthwhile imo. Leafs are already stacked with prospects..

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
:leafs David Clarkson (1.25M Retained), Sonny Milano

:cbj Peter Holland, SJ 2018 3rd rd

leafs will have a pile of cap coming off the books at the end of the year one way or another. over 20M with only Zaitsev as a notable to re-sign, along with a few rookies that should come cheap.

leafs flex their financial muscle to bring back a young asset. columbus gets much needed cap relief as well as unloading a NMC, which will allow them to protect a guy like wennberg

Leafs have no need for Milano. We have a bunch of prospects just like him or better.

Replace him with Werenski and you have a deal.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

enjoy clarkson @5.25 for 4 more years then. no one "wants him". it would take a top prospect just to dump him a-la bolland (clarksons is worse)
good luck in 2 years with boone jenner, ryan murray, cam atkinson and jack johnson all looking for raises and no significant salary coming off the books before then.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Leafs have no need for Milano. We have a bunch of prospects just like him or better.

Replace him with Werenski and you have a deal.

can never have too many elite prospects. leafs would gladly take a guy that would jump right into our top 5 prospects

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
enjoy clarkson @5.25 for 4 more years then. no one "wants him". it would take a top prospect just to dump him a-la bolland (clarksons is worse)
good luck in 2 years with boone jenner, ryan murray, cam atkinson and jack johnson all looking for raises and no significant salary coming off the books before then.

We're aware and it'll be difficult but as I understand it, the trade was mainly made because our front office is grossly incompetent and didn't get insurance on the Horton contract, whereas they thought Clarkson still had something to provide (hahahahahahahah) and Clarkson's contract has insurance.

However, Clarkson's heading for a potential LTIRing (he's played 25% of games since Columbus acquired him) and if the situation presents itself where they want to keep the core together, Clarkson can be Prongered (and I assume, his contract has insurance)

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
We're aware and it'll be difficult but as I understand it, the trade was mainly made because our front office is grossly incompetent and didn't get insurance on the Horton contract, whereas they thought Clarkson still had something to provide (hahahahahahahah) and Clarkson's contract has insurance.

However, Clarkson's heading for a LTIRing (he's played 25% of games since Columbus acquired him) and if the situation presents itself where they want to keep the core together, Clarkson can be Prongered (and I assume, his contract has insurance)

After the Cowan nonsense, I'd be very careful of this. That being said, I have no clue why the Jackets made the deal (Yes I know about the insurance, but still...) and I doubt anyone is going to accept less than an elite prospect for him (See Chicago or Florida).

Just another bad Burke-Nonis contract, that somehow the Leafs got out of

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Because no one on the CBJ board has ever considered this before, let alone Columbus management. You are literally the first person to consider the impact of Clarkson's contract on the CBJ salary structure.

But let's imagine for a moment that I'm just making up the above. What Crede is saying is that even given his detrimental contract, it's not worth giving up a quality asset to be rid of him. (i.e. losing Atkinson or Savard in expansion is better than losing Jenner or Werenski for the luxury of not losing Savard or Atkinson).

No, we won't "enjoy Clarkson." We know "no one 'wants him.'" The entire scenario is such that it's not worth discussing and makes otherwise polite people get snarky on the internet.

Last edited:

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
After the Cowan nonsense, I'd be very careful of this. That being said, I have no clue why the Jackets made the deal (Yes I know about the insurance, but still...) and I doubt anyone is going to accept less than an elite prospect for him (See Chicago or Florida).

Just another bad Burke-Nonis contract, that somehow the Leafs got out of

Yeah. This situation is enraging on a bunch of levels (didn't ensure the biggest UFA the franchise has ever signed, who's coming off major shoulder surgery? Really?) for Jackets fans.

The situation the OP presented probably won't happen (the core sucks too much) but if it did happen, there's still time to (painfully) rectify it. I mainly posted this mainly because I object to the tone of OPs later posts in this thread.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Milano is a good prospect but not enough to take Clarkson back.

It would take a lot more and Columbus justifiably shouldn't/wouldn't want to send more back to get rid of him.

They should just hang onto Clarkson.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Clarkson to Toronto is just a complete non-starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad