Proposal: Toronto-Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
can never have too many elite prospects. leafs would gladly take a guy that would jump right into our top 5 prospects

Milano would not be in Toronto's top 5 prospects.

1)Matthews
2)Nylander
3)Marner
4)Brown
5)Dermott

Milano would fit in with our Timasov, Hyman, Soshnikov, Rychel, Nielson, Korshkov, Grundstrom.

We have lot's of those guys. Not enough space in the future to play them all. Need D prospects. It would have to be Werenski or nothing. Not interested in anyone else. Except Dubois.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

1)Matthews
2)Nylander
3)Marner
4)Brown
5)Dermott

Milano would fit in with our Timasov, Hyman, Soshnikov, Rychel, Nielson, Korshkov, Grundstrom.

We have lot's of those guys. Not enough space in the future to play them all. Need D prospects. It would have to be Werenski or nothing. Not interested in anyone else. Except Dubois.

He might take Dermott's spot

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The big picture:

Clarkson AND Horton
...and Robidas (Lupul)

...now that being said after the Bolland deal, I would love to get another 1st rounder, like AZ did.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Again, the only concern is his NMC which could cost Columbus a protection slot.

That said, you cannot logically hold that nobody would take Clarkson for free, while also believing that Clarkson might not waive in case Las Vegas decides to take him FOR FREE.

It's logically incompatible.

Either way, his isn't a contract Columbus is forced to dump. Rather, the smart thing is for Columbus to just keep him and deal with the consequences. Moves can be made elsewhere if necessary to accommodate Jenner/Murray/Werenski/etc.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Clarkson will probably be retired before long, so I don't care much from the Jackets perspective. But I agree with Leafs fans than Milano doesn't compensate for the risk.

1)Matthews
2)Nylander
3)Marner
4)Brown
5)Dermott

I have been trying to persuade folks on the mains and the Jackets board that Milano is still somewhat of a project, and probably undeserving of being in the top 50 prospects. But it's a stretch to say with that much certainty that he is below Dermott. Equal maybe, but a full tier below is unwarranted. Milano is boom/bust with top-line upside, which alone makes him worth more than a number of those future bottom-six types.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Clarkson will probably be retired before long, so I don't care much from the Jackets perspective. But I agree with Leafs fans than Milano doesn't compensate for the risk.

I have been trying to persuade folks on the mains and the Jackets board that Milano is still somewhat of a project, and probably undeserving of being in the top 50 prospects. But it's a stretch to say with that much certainty that he is below Dermott. Equal maybe, but a full tier below is unwarranted. Milano is boom/bust with top-line upside, which alone makes him worth more than a number of those future bottom-six types.

Milano and Dermott have very similar value.

You could make a strong argument for either player being currently more valuable than the other.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Capspace is the most valuable asset in that deal - leafs were luck enough to escape from his horrible contract, they're not bringing t back.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
No to literally any Clarkson proposal. Cbj did us a huge favor in taking him from us, we aren't going down that path again.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site

I am not necessarily saying he is below Dermott...being a Dman it is hard to compare the too really. But because the Leafs lack quality D prospects...Dermott is very important to them. If he were on other teams charts he might be higher or significantly lower. But he is very important to the Leafs. That's all.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I don't know if they would honestly. Welinski will be an offensive dman and so will Jones. Murray and Murphy are the anchors. Plus, Columbus saves cap hit.

What's the spread difference between Savard and Murphy ' s cap hits? I'm a tad bias as well as I think Savard is criminally underrated

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
enjoy clarkson @5.25 for 4 more years then. no one "wants him". it would take a top prospect just to dump him a-la bolland (clarksons is worse)
good luck in 2 years with boone jenner, ryan murray, cam atkinson and jack johnson all looking for raises and no significant salary coming off the books before then.
yeah, Jack Johnson will be gone by then almost assuredly

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
It was a Christmas miracle getting rid of Clarkson's contract I cant see why we would want him again with that contract.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Because no one on the CBJ board has ever considered this before, let alone Columbus management. You are literally the first person to consider the impact of Clarkson's contract on the CBJ salary structure.

But let's imagine for a moment that I'm just making up the above. What Crede is saying is that even given his detrimental contract, it's not worth giving up a quality asset to be rid of him. (i.e. losing Atkinson or Savard in expansion is better than losing Jenner or Werenski for the luxury of not losing Savard or Atkinson).

No, we won't "enjoy Clarkson." We know "no one 'wants him.'" The entire scenario is such that it's not worth discussing and makes otherwise polite people get snarky on the internet.

the guy i replied to literally said "if you want clarkson you can have him, but we wont give up anything worthwhile to get rid of him"

I just don't understand rather keeping say clarkson and milano while definitely losing a guy like savard. then probably still having cap troubles when guys need raises.

in my mind there is about a 5% chance clarkson gets dealt, and in that scenario columbus would be lucky if its only milano they lose.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't know if they would honestly. Welinski will be an offensive dman and so will Jones. Murray and Murphy are the anchors. Plus, Columbus saves cap hit.

I think Savard has got a few 40 pt seasons in him, and he's immensely strong and uses it (an element we don't have in the other 3 or in Murphy), so I'd hesitate to do that swap. Murphy might be better overall, I can't say.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
enjoy clarkson @5.25 for 4 more years then. no one "wants him". it would take a top prospect just to dump him a-la bolland (clarksons is worse)
good luck in 2 years with boone jenner, ryan murray, cam atkinson and jack johnson all looking for raises and no significant salary coming off the books before then.

Sorry to deprive you of the schadenfreude, but the Jackets are going to be fine in a couple years. Johnson can walk. Prout can walk. I personally expect Atkinson won't be kept if he needs a raise (the Jackets will have a full complement of scoring line wings).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad