Proposal: Toronto-Columbus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

major major

Feb 18, 2013
the guy i replied to literally said "if you want clarkson you can have him, but we wont give up anything worthwhile to get rid of him"

I just don't understand rather keeping say clarkson and milano while definitely losing a guy like savard. then probably still having cap troubles when guys need raises.

in my mind there is about a 5% chance clarkson gets dealt, and in that scenario columbus would be lucky if its only milano they lose.

Take my word for it, Jackets fans have gamed the entire thing out. We've got several posters who keep spreadsheets on salary, cap, and expansion implications. We aren't losing Savard or any other top 4 D because of Clarkson. And we're not losing one of our better young forwards. It's going to end up possibly being a marginal decision between packaging a guy like Milano or losing a third liner / third pair D, or foregoing signing a UFA (we should be glad!).

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Sorry to deprive you of the schadenfreude, but the Jackets are going to be fine in a couple years. Johnson can walk. Prout can walk. I personally expect Atkinson won't be kept if he needs a raise (the Jackets will have a full complement of scoring line wings).

Exactly. We have tons of guys who can replace those players as long as they keep developing.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
enjoy clarkson @5.25 for 4 more years then. no one "wants him". it would take a top prospect just to dump him a-la bolland (clarksons is worse)
good luck in 2 years with boone jenner, ryan murray, cam atkinson and jack johnson all looking for raises and no significant salary coming off the books before then.

in two years, there will only be 2 years left on that contract. That alone makes it easier to move (with a lesser sweetener). No need for Columbus to do anything right now.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
can never have too many elite prospects. leafs would gladly take a guy that would jump right into our top 5 prospects

I'll gladly take Milano. Just not at the cost of having Clarkson. I don't think I'd take him at the league minimum. He's that bad. It was a miracle that we were able to get rid of him to begin with. If Nathan Hortons back wasn't in terrible shape we'd still be stuck with the guy.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
the guy i replied to literally said "if you want clarkson you can have him, but we wont give up anything worthwhile to get rid of him"

I just don't understand rather keeping say clarkson and milano while definitely losing a guy like savard. then probably still having cap troubles when guys need raises.

in my mind there is about a 5% chance clarkson gets dealt, and in that scenario columbus would be lucky if its only milano they lose.

Exactly. Which i why it's a bad idea. Have you been reading the thread? Leafs fans don't want Milano at the cost of taking back Clarkson. Jackets fans say it's not worth giving up anything better to be rid of Clarkson.If CBJ trades Clarkson now, they miss out on potential best-case scenarios even while planning for a worst-case scenario. Which is still better than trading him now.

tl;dr
No, you're not doing Columbus a favor with the OP deal, although we appreciate you thinking of us.

Mr Hockey*

:leafs David Clarkson (1.25M Retained), Sonny Milano

:cbj Peter Holland, SJ 2018 3rd rd

leafs will have a pile of cap coming off the books at the end of the year one way or another. over 20M with only Zaitsev as a notable to re-sign, along with a few rookies that should come cheap.

leafs flex their financial muscle to bring back a young asset. columbus gets much needed cap relief as well as unloading a NMC, which will allow them to protect a guy like wennberg

pass ... :laugh:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I just don't understand rather keeping say clarkson and milano while definitely losing a guy like savard.

Because that's not actually a scenario that can happen. At worst, we lose a forward to the Clarkson NMC, not a defenseman. And sanity dictates that he'd be bought out if he doesn't waive if the choice is protecting him or losing a core player.

Gotta love how this works, tho. One (1) fan posts an embarrassing "move Clarkson somehow" deal and suddenly it's open season for poaching Jackets players and prospects "to do you guys a favor".

Mad Brills*

Clarkson waived to leave toronto, he isn't waiving to come back.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Because that's not actually a scenario that can happen. At worst, we lose a forward to the Clarkson NMC, not a defenseman. And sanity dictates that he'd be bought out if he doesn't waive if the choice is protecting him or losing a core player.

Gotta love how this works, tho. One (1) fan posts an embarrassing "move Clarkson somehow" deal and suddenly it's open season for poaching Jackets players and prospects "to do you guys a favor".

I posited the Savard thing. It was fast and loose on my part. In fairness, I was comparing it to trading Werenski or Jenner to move Clarkson.

I tried to address this in my more recent reply.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
A couple of things.... The Leafs were extremely happy and lucky to shed the Clarkson contract the first time round. As several posters have noted, they are unlikely to want to take it back at all but if they did, it would have to be a huge overpayment.

Without getting into a debate about where exactly Milano would fit on the Leafs' prospect list, there is no doubt that the Leafs are already loaded with smaller than average offensively skilled wingers as prospects. They already have Marner, maybe Nylander, Brown, Andreas Johnson, Kapanen, Timashov, Bracco, Dzierkals and Soshnikov. That's already a lengthy list and it's the category Milano fits into somewhere. This proposal is not a good fit, IMO.

And Zaitsev is the number four prospect.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
can never have too many elite prospects. leafs would gladly take a guy that would jump right into our top 5 prospects

Werenski would jump into your top 2nd prospect.
Jackets laugh at that ideal.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Yes i believe he would be in the #2 spot as of right now.

how would he be ahead of marner?
every expect had marner ahead pre-draft, then he just went and won every possible award possible in the CHL. Werenski had a great year as well, but marner did nothing to show he isnt a top 5 prospect right now

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Werenski would jump into your top 2nd prospect.
Jackets laugh at that ideal.

werenski would probably be our #4 prospect. one could make the case he is above nylander, even though its hard to bet against nylanders insane AHL stats/ solid NHL stint.

even this site had Marner and Nylander ahead of werenski last year, as did espn. but cute to see jackets fans supporting their guy

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Milano would not be in Toronto's top 5 prospects.

1)Matthews
2)Nylander
3)Marner
4)Brown
5)Dermott

Milano would fit in with our Timasov, Hyman, Soshnikov, Rychel, Nielson, Korshkov, Grundstrom.
Milano would easily be your 5th best prospect, if not your 4th best. He's barely 20 years old and he didn't look much out of place in his short stint in the NHL. He dominated in the WJC and played a key role in Lake Erie winning the Calder Cup.

Seriously though, if Milano was a Toronto prospect you would all talk about him so much :laugh:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Again, Columbus isn't desperate to move Clarkson.

They made that clear at the draft. Not going to package a 1st or decent prospect. If that means they keep him, so be it. But they can still work around his contract to ensure they don't lose any important players.

Sorry Toronto fans, there's nothing to be gained here.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Milano would easily be your 5th best prospect, if not your 4th best. He's barely 20 years old and he didn't look much out of place in his short stint in the NHL. He dominated in the WJC and played a key role in Lake Erie winning the Calder Cup.

Seriously though, if Milano was a Toronto prospect you would all talk about him so much :laugh:

He's a great prospect just not enough to take on Clarkson

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
He's a great prospect just not enough to take on Clarkson

And he's too much to give up to get rid of Clarkson. Unless Columbus is immediately facing losing an important player, there isn't going to be much value attached to moving him.

And they won't be looking at losing an important player due to Clarkson. Because they're able to plan out salaries years in advance.

Tallon messed up in the Bolland deal. Columbus won't make a similar mistake.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Again, Columbus isn't desperate to move Clarkson.

They made that clear at the draft. Not going to package a 1st or decent prospect. If that means they keep him, so be it. But they can still work around his contract to ensure they don't lose any important players.

Sorry Toronto fans, there's nothing to be gained here.

What makes you think we want Clarkson back?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad