Toronto Argonauts Thread

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
MBT took some hellacious hits in the first half! Seemed to move his feet a little better in the 2nd half but still needs improvement

Reactions: stickty111

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Would you guys still be Argos fans if they joined the XFL? Seems like MLSE is losing money in the CFL.
As far as I’m concerned no! I don’t want to see the CFL bastardized and coerced to be like American football! Speaking as a statee in central New York. Always loved the CFL just the way it is. I do however respect anyones opinion, it is just no for me.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
To leave a league that has been around forever to join one that likely folds at some point would be terribly short sighted.
I can see people being really upset if that were to happen.
I don't know .. the XFL has a pretty solid vision and they have partnered with the NFL. It's essentially going to become the defacto minor leagues for the NFL equivalent to the G league for the NBA it seems.

On the other hand the CFL has always had financial trouble, especially in Toronto, since I've followed sports.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
something i'll never understand about the lack of respect the CFL gets: It's not the top league in the world, but it's essentially the next best pro league in the world! Sure there's a drop off in talent (and money), but it's still very high level football and is a very entertaining on field game.

there are so many soccer leagues in the world and Yet they all have their place and fans support them. It's not like fans in Poland or Belgium or Austria or Scotland shit on their domestic leagues 'just because' it's not the premier league. The people in those countries still have a level of pride and loyalty to their respective teams regardless of league 'stature'.

Personally there's something about the canadianness of the CFL that i really like. and i find the whole corporate machine angle of the NFL a big turn off. I guess there's just a strange toronto mentality here when it comes to the CFL and i just don't understand it. i'll never understand it.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
something i'll never understand about the lack of respect the CFL gets: It's not the top league in the world, but it's essentially the next best pro league in the world! Sure there's a drop off in talent (and money), but it's still very high level football and is a very entertaining on field game.

there are so many soccer leagues in the world and Yet they all have their place and fans support them. It's not like fans in Poland or Belgium or Austria or Scotland shit on their domestic leagues 'just because' it's not the premier league. The people in those countries still have a level of pride and loyalty to their respective teams regardless of league 'stature'.

Personally there's something about the canadianness of the CFL that i really like. and i find the whole corporate machine angle of the NFL a big turn off. I guess there's just a strange toronto mentality here when it comes to the CFL and i just don't understand it. i'll never understand it.
Thats a big thing. The CFL is a simple no drama league which is good. I have said for a long time but I perfer the CFL over the NFL. If the Grey Cup is on at the same time as the Super Bowl, I'm watching the Grey Cup and it's not even a thought for me to watch the Super Bowl.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

European football teams all play the same game whether it's the Premier League or any other.
Many people have trouble getting past the different rules from the NFL to the CFL and the quality of play combined with some of the rules makes it look 2nd rate.

The SuperBowl is an event that even non fans look forward to watching, Grey Cup can't come close to comparing to that.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Thats a big thing. The CFL is a simple no drama league which is good. I have said for a long time but I perfer the CFL over the NFL. If the Grey Cup is on at the same time as the Super Bowl, I'm watching the Grey Cup and it's not even a thought for me to watch the Super Bowl.
I second that opinion! From a Statee!!!!!!!

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
I don't know .. the XFL has a pretty solid vision and they have partnered with the NFL. It's essentially going to become the defacto minor leagues for the NFL equivalent to the G league for the NBA it seems.

On the other hand the CFL has always had financial trouble, especially in Toronto, since I've followed sports.

Looks like the vision may not be as sound as we thought.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto

Looks like the vision may not be as sound as we thought.

What's wrong with bringing in investors? It's a single entity model for now so it's the equivalent of looking for team owners in the franchise model. The CFL is not exactly on solid ground between the community owned teams and the ones that have revolving ownership also they get funded by tax payers for things like the Grey cup.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Was in the Hammer last night for the game, such a great environment. Lots of special people there but man they love their Ti-Cats.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Yes, you pose a good question & an interesting topic. Might be the Canadian psyche and personality at work.

I followed the CFL as a kid and teenager, but somehow got away from it as I got older and watched a lot more NFL. Sometimes I wonder why that happened, but it happened. I'm trying to follow the Argos & CFL a little more now. I've watched a couple of games, but still not doing a very good job of it.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Frustrating game. Probably the first time I have questioned bethel Thompson as first choice.

I have only got back to watching them this year and it’s been a fun ride so far, but man he was pretty shitty yesterday At quarterbacking. One touchdown was basically gifted via all those penalty flags.

I hope they play better next week as I will be at the game with my family.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Frustrating game. Probably the first time I have questioned bethel Thompson as first choice.

I have only got back to watching them this year and it’s been a fun ride so far, but man he was pretty shitty yesterday At quarterbacking. One touchdown was basically gifted via all those penalty flags.

I hope they play better next week as I will be at the game with my family.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen him play and thought he was a good choice. I don’t watch a ton of Argo games and not sure what the alternative is but it’s pretty apparent he isn’t very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad