Toronto Argonauts Thread

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
Can they please expand into the maritimes already?!

I get that no one has the ideal stadium, but surely they can build one while playing out of something temporary in the interim. Gosh they don't need anything world class.... just something basic will do. CFL is begging for a team there. HAs been for years.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
There sure was alot of hate in that game yesterday!!

Seemed like there was some pent up history between those two fellas yesterday. Surprised neither one got an ejection.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Can they please expand into the maritimes already?!

I get that no one has the ideal stadium, but surely they can build one while playing out of something temporary in the interim. Gosh they don't need anything world class.... just something basic will do. CFL is begging for a team there. HAs been for years.

Came here to swing by and say great win for the Argos and saw this one.

I think the expansion is inevitable but it'll take time for a few reasons.

1. COVID completely f***ed everything up. There is just no way around it. People gotta remember what normal is first.

2. I think the CFL is going to want to work on drawing interest from existing markets. Like if the Argos go to BC and you've got like 17,500 people that's a bit of a problem. Like I'm pretty sure the Canucks get more than that for a stadium 1/2 or 1/4 the size. I'm pretty sure High School games in TX get that.

-With the world waking up again I think too many people may be too busy. Almost like a "more people = more problems" scenario and I'm interested to see how much money the CFL actually makes

3. Will another team dilute the talent on the field?

4. On #3, you can solve that issue with more American crossover. I know there are Americans playing. But BELIEVE ME. There's more. Dozens of NFL camp cuts could play in the CFL tomorrow but don't because something like $100,000 to play in a huge city like Toronto doesn't have enough return on investment.

-The Greedy American stereotype can't be ruled out here imo. And I say that as an American knowing what we are

5. People get on cities like Regina and Winnipeg out of banter and it's kinda funny most times. But the rest of the CFL feels like a niche or even a bit of a cult following in comparison. I think the Bombers had close to 30,000 their last game. That is phenomenal. You want that every game. The Tiger-Cats getting 26,000 last December and setting a Tim Horton's Field record is a GREAT start. Now just get all the markets doing that ya know? If the CFL is to expand, a market like Hamilton's got to keep doing that. I'm not saying they don't. I'm saying the stadium is only so big because the demand is only so big. More demand = more money

I could go on, but I (clearly) have long enough. I think the CFL needs to just keep growing before it gets to a place like Halifax. Another team is a huge responsibility and the (positive) snowball effect will grow the game as the league grows in size under the right conditions. I don't know how the economic climate of Canada is at large but I'd be careful of expanding during a recession.

Have some games in the Maritimes no differently than if you put the NHL Winter Classic in Regina on New Year's day. Hopefully in about a decade it won't be a dream anymore

PS- Nah brother, I very politely disagree. You have to build a stadium that can be expanded to 40,000 for a Grey Cup game with all the bells and whistles. You have to give the best football talent in Canada the best they can get. If guys feel like they're playing in a glorified cow pasture like it's old Taylor Field in the 50's, they're not going to see the CFL as a bonafide career opportunity. You could get away with it back then but not as much anymore

Reactions: KapG and fancy lad

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Argos gonna walk out of Saskatchewan with a W after the Roughriders fumbled outside their end zone. And with that all Toronto Summer teams won this weekend. Nice.

It's too bad they needed a comeback because Argos were the better team throughout but a win is a win.
Another good game by MBT. Just needs to avoid the bad play. That INT he threw in the first half was embarrassing. Looking for your target with 3 Riders in front of you. You're not Ricky Ray MBT. Run game hasn't been great so far but Harris showed today he can still pull off big games whenever even though he has clearly declined as a player not surprisingly.

Argos just need more consistency in all facets and they should be fine. I know Riders were missing players both games but you still need to play and Argos took care of business. Any game in Mosaic is tough so credit to the Argos. Once again defence making a big play in the end which is a theme.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It's only fair if I mention Dinwiddie's decision to kick a 61 yard FG at the end of the 1st half. I get why but it's a terrible decision and gave all the momentum to the Riders who returned it for the TD who were completely outplayed in the half. It didn't cost the Argos a win but this is a game Dinwiddie should throw out from a coaching perspective.
I think overall he's a good coach but he can't make those errors.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
I think Thompson is very capable, seems comfortable throwing out of a moving pocket. I’d like to see a few more rollouts. Harris was absolute beast last night!

Reactions: fancy lad

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
yeah i gotta say i like bethel thompson as QB. He's looked very capable most of the season and yesterday was on point more often than not. Harris has been an awesome signing.

The argos have been fun to watch this year. i'm gonna take the family down to BMO for one of the hamilton games. Looking at ticket prices, Argos are for sure the best sports value in the city.

WeaponOfChoice

Jan 25, 2020
But the problem is how many cities in Canada are there that have the population to support a team that don't already have one? The plan is for a team in the Maritimes (Halifax IIRC) but other than Quebec City where else could you put a team? The league tried putting teams in non NFL American markets and it was a disaster so that's not an option.
Baltimore worked

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
I was a Speedy Banks fan, still am but he just doesn’t seem to have it this year. Old age perhaps? Or new surroundings, maybe I’m impatient!

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Baltimore worked
It did, the problem was that they also went into a bunch of other markets that flopped bad. Putting a team or two into markets that got screwed by the NFL is/was a good idea (St Louis would've been ideal but the XFL snapped it up). But I must also note that as big a fiasco as it was that the expansion fees did in fact keep the league afloat and allow it to survive.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Losing to Ottawa is embarrassing. Corey Mace continues to show he shouldn't have a key job in this league. Opposing coaches are eating up his play calls when they execute.
Evans outplaying MBT shows how much Pinball is a joke to even have him as a starting QB. He had a good 2 games before going back to being MBT we know.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Losing to Ottawa is embarrassing. Corey Mace continues to show he shouldn't have a key job in this league. Opposing coaches are eating up his play calls when they execute.
Evans outplaying MBT shows how much Pinball is a joke to even have him as a starting QB. He had a good 2 games before going back to being MBT we know.
Bethel-Thompson is not a good quarterback, never has been. Can’t hit open receivers, zero IQ, and no mobility.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

The clown is at it again. Pinball's days are done as coach. Jim Barker? Barker was awful here.
Again the discipline issues are on Dinwiddie but replacing him as coach should not even be on the table. The guy has shown he's a good coach. Give him a better than average QB(not easy), he will do well and already is. I've seen enough to see he's a good play caller

Reactions: hockeywiz542

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Too many drops, too much undisciplined play. Needs to be cleaned up! Ottawa exploited the middle of the field.
Argos are terrible. That was an absolutely brutal effort against Ottawa and they deserved the result.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Footwork and play fakes are very important to any QBs success. Evans is proving that tonight so far.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Great 2nd half by the Argos. Aside from a drive, Hamilton's offense struggled big time. Argos offense moved the ball well too. The first Q was a complete disaster on both sides of the ball though, but there were clearly adjustments made because Argos were the better team afterwards.
Special teams came up big in the 4th.
Defence again with a big play with the game on the line. I'm not convinced this defence can stay afloat against better competition which is why I go after Mace a lot, but more often than not they have been good. Of course Hamilton isn't a bad team even though they have played like it.

Offense after the first Q was good. Running game is still inconsistent but shows flashes. MBT was fine. No major mistakes and made the passes he should. Thats all I ask.

Shoutout to the crowd. Argos get criticism for lack of support but the fans were fantastic today. The fact they were booing the Argos after a 3rd straight 3 and out in the first Q shows they care. If you do a good job promoting the team, there is enough fan fare for the Argos to do well here. I'm not buying fans don't care. This game showed they do.

Reactions: Cournoyer12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad