Toronto Argonauts Thread

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Have always enjoyed the Canadian game! I live in Syracuse and would prefer to travel to see a CFL game than go to a Bills or Giants game! Better atmosphere, friendlier people, college vibe , nobody gets shot or molested , just some good natured ribbing from time to time! Hopefully your league keeps to it’s tradition and doesn’t get bastardized by ESPN and the like was a Ti-Cats season ticket holder till the covid, too much complication to get across the border now even though my wife and I are vaxed and fully boosted. Maybe when things get back to normal I can return. Good luck to the CFL!!
LOL!

Border restrictions from our side could be all gone by June or July.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Question for the old-timers that perplexes me at times. I swear I remember the Big Z placekicking both straight-on “square toe” and side winder. Am I living in an alternate universe or did I really see this? The man was also a great punter!

Reactions: Roadhog

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
I liked the Argos picks up until the 5th round. Also surprised to see the 8th round return, but than again I'd be good if the CFL, NFL, and NHL draft were 6 rounds and/or under.

I was hoping to pick either Pelehos or MacKellar, so I'm happy we got one of 'em, and I was pleasantly surprised to see the Argos draft both Knight and Adeboboye, as I thought they would have been gone by those picks.

Vince Magri has really done well at the Draft for the Argos the last few years, I wonder how long before he gets the Big Chair. In truth I'd love to see Pinball become team President next season, and Magri becoming the GM.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Basically stopped paying attention to the CFL about a decade ago, when I went to Uni.

Now? Not only could I not tell you which teams were good or bad, but I couldn't name you one single marketable star from the league.

It's just not a league that comes anywhere close to my circle of relevance.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
I go back to the earlier 70s with my fondness for the CFL. Always found the game fascinating! Looking back I remember,Thiesman, Leon McQuay,The Big Z, Lancaster,Jackson,Mosca, Sonny Wade, Rick Cassata: old Syracuse boy, Cutler,Wilkie, Reed,Moon and many many more!! Some of those guys definitely could have played in the NFL but It glad they didn’t. Except for Moon and McQuay. Lots of good football players in that league, and still has lots of good football players in it!!!!

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
What a total joke this Mickey Mouse league has turned out to be.So sad,ive always loved it.:(

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

The 49% ratio will be convoluted to manage but if the number of starters stay at 7 (my guess) then this will be mathematically pretty much what the owners are looking for.

Might be crazy enough to work

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Antonio Pipkin got the start at quarterback for the Argos, going 7 for 9 for 60 yards and one interception while sharing the workload with Chad Kelly, who went 7 for 12 for 78 yards. Austin Simmons also got in on the action, finishing 2 for 5 for 19 yards.

The Redblacks held a 7-3 lead at the half, but struggled to generate momentum in the second half until the final minute.

The Argos took a 10-7 lead early in the fourth quarter as Javon Leake ran in a four-yard touchdown and Toshiki Sato added the convert.

Trailing 10-7 to start the fourth quarter Adams threw an interception that was ran back for 58 yards by Jamal Peters. Sato added the extra point to give the Argos a 17-7 lead.

Adams was determined to turn things around and connected with R.J. Harris for an 11-yard touchdown pass to make it 17-14 with five minutes remaining.

The Redblacks defence pinned the Argos and forced them to concede a safety to make it a one-point game with 1:21 remaining.

Adams showed poise as he drove the Redblacks down field and ultimately punched in a one-yard touchdown for the win.

``Not only was I excited for that, but on those last two drives the offensive line blocked their butts off,'' said Adams. ``You could see some of the pain in their eyes going on that last drive ? all I did was call the play coach told me to call and then hand the ball off, really.''

At the time Argos head coach Ryan Dinwiddie felt he made the right decision in conceding the safety. He anticipated his defence shutting the Redblacks down, but in the end it proved to be a costly misjudgment.

``We did some decent things and we didn't do other things so well,'' said Dinwiddie. ``We couldn't get the right players on the field at the end.''

Dinwiddie admitted there was some confusion on the field and the sidelines and said both coaches and players had a hand in how things finished.

``It was a good learning experience for all of us and we'll be better next week.''

Roadhog

May 3, 2020
Toronto
Question for the old-timers that perplexes me at times. I swear I remember the Big Z placekicking both straight-on “square toe” and side winder. Am I living in an alternate universe or did I really see this? The man was also a great punter!
It appears he did both. This quote from CFLapedia:

While with UCLA, Andrusyshyn became famous for the strength of his leg. Anything inside the 50 yard line was fair game for the soccer style kicker, and in one game Andrusyshyn kicked fieldgoals of 57 and 62 yards - at the time the professional record was only 56 yards.

This field goal was kicked "square toe".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad