Confirmed with Link: Torey Krug (7 years @ $6.5m)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
No hope for Parayko growing into that role? I would argue he’s a reasonable #1D. He won’t be asked to carry as much of the offensive load as Pietro did. There are plenty of other places for see that production come from on D.
Parayko is certainly #1 D on the defensive side, but I just don’t see him there on the offensive side. At best he is a bottom end #1. For a Cup contending team, that just isn’t enough. But as a #2 D? The guy is about as perfect as they come.

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Colt is a good player but he can't hold Petro's jock. The Blues D as a whole went from being one of the best in the NHL with Petro to one of the worse without Petro.

Petro is a is a #1D and a top 5D and you are replacing him with a top 30D. Colt is a very good #2D but he isn't a #1D Sorry i disagree with you.

Your man crush is getting to be just a little bit excessive there bud.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
It matters because before FA Pietrangelo doesn't know if the Blues offer is the best one on the table. After FA opens, he does.

It kind of seems like important information that might drastically affect the dynamics of the conversation.
Ehhh I get what you're saying, but I just don't think that's how high stakes contract negotiations like this work. This is pure speculation on my part, but I think the most realistic scenario is that Armstrong and Pietro had a conversation Thursday night where a contract was offered and rejected and both sides fairly amicably said to the other "door isn't closed, but we are going to explore options in free agency." Then both sides did just that.

Trying to put myself in Pietro/his agent's shoes, if I got a call from Armstrong Friday afternoon saying basically, "we have another player we are going to sign, what's Pietro's deal?" I would probably take it as a sign of weakness and think he was bluffing. :dunno:

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Elsewhere, I've explained (I think more than once) how one can say something that's factually true but not an accurate reflection of the situation. Read that, re-read "it wasn't about structure" and then ask yourself how that can be factually accurate but still be an improper portrayal of talks between the two sides.
Because what you're implying is that the structure of the deal, the actual dollars and bonuses per year, couldn't be worked out, but that the salary cap hit could've been agreed upon. That, just based on how GMs and others talk about contract negotiations, are things that are of little importance when compared to just a base line salary per year, or at least this is what I'm gathering reading your posts (if I'm wrong I apologize).

What you're saying about the contract negotiation I guess could be true theoretically, but if both sides have agreed on a pretty sweetheart deal for the Blues (assuming it's anything less than 8 mil), then I have to imagine that they would've gotten the deal done. Based on comparables, AP should get 9.5, but he probably wont. If they agreed at something like 7.75, your difference there is 1.75 per year, for 8 years thats 14 mil lost on the table. I think at that point, Armstrong could've/would've looped that difference in performance bonuses, etc, but given the team the flexibility to add other players.

Inevitably we'll see how the situation played out and he'll either be a Blue, in which case we probably wont care about the negotiations, or he'll be gone and those negotiations will get leaked.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
What’s interesting to me is that, it’s not like Krug is really much of an adequate defender and Pietrangelo is a significantly better offensive play driver at 5 on 5.

Krug started 70% of his shifts in the o-zone last year, yet still has relatively underwhelming 5 on 5 offense (and tbh, he always has).

People might wonder why the Bruins had no interest in retaining him, it’s because he has all the makings of a player that will fall off a cliff, just like Faulk. These players rely a lot on physical tools, not necessarily on high IQ. Krug especially, given he ‘plays bigger than his size’ which really, really ages poorly.

With Pietrangelo, you deploy him on the offensive side of the puck at 5 on 5, because he’s incredible at it and Parayko is in turn your main shutdown defender. And Pietrangelo was good enough in his own zone and in transition to carry a mediocre defender alongside of him. The Blues never needed to invest money into a LHD to play with Petro because he didn’t need a good partner to dominate.

Now, your left with Faulk, who has been inadequate at 5 on 5 his entire career, while being heavily reliant on a system revolved around him to produce. As any smart person could have anticipated, his play fell when the system didn’t revolve around feeding him one timers on the PP (and subsequently putting up a relatively underwhelming 30-35 points when you look at his deployment comparable’s). And Krug, who also only adds significant value on the PP. But you aren’t on the PP all game and when your not, Krug is hardly above replacement level. This is all while receiving favorable zone starts and having Carlo to mitigate his defensive deficiencies.

If the Blues utilize Parayko in the way Boston did with Carlo, it won’t work. They had McAvoy/Chara to deploy as a shutdown pairing. Who is there to stop the other teams top units for us, Scandella? Scandella has been sub replacement almost his entire career, and brings hardly any value. His defensive game isn’t elite, he’s horrible in transition. So pairing him with Faulk is a recipe for disaster, because you don’t have a defender that’s good enough at creating zone exits to keep them from getting caved in all game. The reason Scandella and Parayko worked is because Parayko is extremely good at zone exits, and obviously at defending.

Playing Krug and Faulk together is also just not going to end well. Their defensive value will most certainly be negative and neither are that great at play driving 5 on 5 offense.

Also, this pretty much ensures Dunn is gone. Which, when Krug and Faulk are both albatrosses in two years (Faulk was the moment it was signed), I promise you they’ll wish they had Dunn. I’m a big Dunn fan. His defensive metrics are very good and his offensive play driving is fantastic. A few rough playoff games doesn’t mitigate what he’s done for 3 seasons.

All in all, it’s flustering because Petro should’ve been priority #1 from July 1st 2019 and for some stupid reason he wasn’t. Instead, DA signed a number of guys into their late 30s who aren’t nearly of the caliber and now the Blues are significantly worse both in the short and long term outlook.
Absolutely excellent evaluations of both Krug and Faulk. I could not agree with you more. I have also lost all faith in Doug Armstrong, particularly in the area of player evaluations. I am also really questioning the abilities of our professional scouting staff.

Reactions: Vollie27

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
It matters because before FA Pietrangelo doesn't know if the Blues offer is the best one on the table. After FA opens, he does.

It kind of seems like important information that might drastically affect the dynamics of the conversation.
Out of curiosity. How much do you think the lack of a window for other teams to talk to pending UFAs has affected the situation?
If that window was there, do you think Petro might have simply pulled a Stamkos, or do you think it’d have played out the same way?

Reactions: EastonBlues22

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Absolutely excellent evaluations of both Krug and Faulk. I could not agree with you more. I have also lost all faith in Doug Armstrong, particularly in the area of player evaluations. I am also really questioning the abilities of our professional scouting staff.

Me too Simon. I've lost faith in everyone

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Out of curiosity. How much do you think the lack of a window for other teams to talk to pending UFAs has affected the situation?
If that window was there, do you think Petro might have simply pulled a Stamkos, or do you think it’d have played out the same way?
It's a good question, but it's hard to know, especially because we have no idea of what degree of back-channeling is happening.

It's certainly possible that it might have changed the outcome, because it's hard to imagine that Pietrangelo wouldn't have had more information earlier in the process to one degree or another, but it ultimately that would have depended on what that information turned out to be.

We might be able to make an educated guess when we see what he ultimately signs for and if any other contract offer details leak, but right now it would just be shooting in the dark.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I probably sound like a broken record but it doesn’t seem like we lost Pietrangelo because of anything we couldn’t match, at least based on my interpretations of the situation. Seems like Armstrong drew his line and held it, simultaneously while signing bad “replacement” contracts in the background. Instead of just realizing he had the elite exception to the rule defenseman right in front of him all along.

With the attitudes of a lot of people on here I'm excited that my line to the pisser this coming season will be a lot shorter.
People being pissed off about the Petro/Krug dealings may not be the only thing limiting the numbers of fellow Blues fans at the games unfortunately.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
People being pissed off about the Petro/Jrug dealings may not be the only thing limiting the numbers of fellow Blues fans at the games unfortunately.
I still haven't heard a peep from my ticket rep. I saw that my next payment has been moved off from 10/15 to 11/15 so I guess they are playing it by ear. I've already got over $2.4K sitting on my account already, I hope I don't have to carry that all over to 2021-2022.

Reactions: Ranksu and mk80

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I probably sound like a broken record but it doesn’t seem like we lost Pietrangelo because of anything we couldn’t match, at least based on my interpretations of the situation. Seems like Armstrong drew his line and held it, simultaneously while signing bad “replacement” contracts in the background. Instead of just realizing he had the elite exception to the rule defenseman right in front of him all along.

Yup Armstrong screwed the pooch!!

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I am still holding out for a happy ending. Pietrangelo circles back and accepts the Blues offer.
  • Krug - Pietrangelo
  • Scandella - Parayko
  • Mikkola/Gunnarsson - Faulk
  • Bortuzzo
Dunn traded. Not perfect, but I could live with it.

Last edited:

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I am still holding out for a happy ending. Pietrangelo circles back and accepts the Blues offer.
  • Krug - Pietrangelo
  • Scandella - Parayko
  • Bortuzzo
  • Dunn traded

I love your optimism Simon. Yeah I'm hoping too, I really am. But I don't see it happening. We can hope.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Or maybe Petro told them he’d give the Blues a chance to match any offers given to him before he signed anywhere, and was still hoping in spite of his disagreements with Army that he could still work a deal out. Which would explain his surprise when the Blues didn’t give him a chance.

Hey, if you others are gonna make up shit to fit your narrative, I might as well do it too.

Except your assumption makes no sense. He knew exactly what the Blues position was, he chose to test the market. The Blues gave him a chance, not sure what you're talking about. Sounds like he wanted multiple chances while he talked to other teams at the same time. I wish Petro was coming back but it's clear that coming back to STL wasn't his top priority.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Army's hesitate move will help Vegas to sign Pietro and even lower price what it was offered here.

Vegas will thank Army. Worse case is that Vegas become now real Stanley Cup Contender. Pietro will crush us down so heavily vs Blues games.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Army's hesitate move will help Vegas to sign Pietro and even lower price what it was offered here.

Vegas will thank Army. Worse case is that Vegas become now real Stanley Cup Contender. Pietro will crush us down so heavily vs Blues games.

The Blues never did great against Vegas. Vegas with Petro on it against the Blues. Ouch.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I noted earlier that who is going to take Pietro's PK icetime away? Noting Krug and Dunn aren't PK'ers. '

Interesting that there hasnt been talk about this discussion. What about Pietro's heavy load of 5on5? Who's going to carry that? Faulk?

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
The Blues never did great against Vegas. Vegas with Petro on it against the Blues. Ouch.
I'm not buying that Vegas left side is deep enough,Martinez isn't my book legit top4 dmen even talking about top2, but maybe Pietro can carry him like he did with Gunnar. I think Vegas will upgrade also their left side too.

#1 Pietro and 2#Theodore one two punch is going to be leathal for years.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I still haven't heard a peep from my ticket rep. I saw that my next payment has been moved off from 10/15 to 11/15 so I guess they are playing it by ear. I've already got over $2.4K sitting on my account already, I hope I don't have to carry that all over to 2021-2022.
You guys have chance to make a influence not paying and send a message Pietro leaving makes difference I'm not going to pay.

That would make a mark on front office that it does matter what fans, community and legacy means.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
  • Krug - Pietrangelo
  • Scandella - Parayko
  • Bortuzzo
Dunn traded. Not perfect, but I could live with it.
And if he does accept the Blues offer, then Bozak and Dunn are gone for a bag of pucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad