Confirmed with Link: Torey Krug (7 years @ $6.5m)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
It is to the advantage of both sides to communicate this sort of thing. The player wants to make sure every party has made their final offer before making his choice, which means keeping everyone at least somewhat in the loop as to what's going on, and it benefits the team to let the player know if they have a time limit on the offer or are chasing other options, because that puts a little pressure on the player and gives them a chance to actually take your offer before you move on.

Pietrangelo being "caught unaware" should never happen, and it smacks of Armstrong and Pietrangelo's camp not doing their jobs. Not sure if that's because of their previous history or what, but it sure feels like things got personal here and it threw a wrench in the works.
Eh. We’re talking about a timing where Armstrong literally just made his best and final offer. It was rejected. The door was left open, but it was left open for a situation like Pietro calling to say he has reconsidered. The offer was the offer.

In the UFA frenzy market, I don’t see what reasonable expectation there could be for Armstrong to sit on his hands as the best players to address the hole left by Pietro get snatched up.

The team owes respect to players like Krug and his agent as well. It’s hard to woo a guy and then when he agrees to what you propose, say “Hang on a moment while I make sure if my old girlfriend is available first.”

I have zero sympathy for Pietro being “caught off guard”. It’s like he crossed the Rubicon when he rejected the offer and didn’t realize it.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Krug with no Petro is way better than no Krug and no Petro
it sure looks like Army believed from year plus of negotiating with the Petro camp that was were the Blues were at
given the moves he has made since being here I am inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt
particularly given Newports reputation and how our negotiations went on Petro’s first contract

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Sure. My point is that if the Blues had the best offer on the table and Pietrangelo couldn't get better elsewhere because the market just wasn't there, then Armstrong effectively walked away from getting a much better player on his terms because he could't bother to wait a day or two for an answer.

It is stupid to play hardball, take the risk of letting Pietrangelo test the market, and then walk away at the very moment that gamble actually pays off and you find yourself in the negotiating driver's seat.
Has he walked away though? That’s the real question. He said he hasn’t. I have a hard time seeing how we make Petro fit now, but it sounds like Army thinks he knows a way. He admitted it’s less likely. But Army is usually pretty coy, so who knows if he is up to anything. I don’t think any of us saw the ROR move coming after Bozak. These are different situations obviously, but we know Army can be bold and play a situation in his favor. Whether that works out or not is yet to be seen and I certainly have less confidence in us signing Petro now then before the Krug signing.

Or maybe Army was just paying lip service. But the whole discussion about LITR suggests there was some thought given. Maybe not enough, but some.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
The hyperbole lives loudly within you.

Seattle may not be interested in Faulk, but you make it sound like he’s not an NHL player. He’s arguably overpaid a bit, but if you’re not against the Cap that’s less of an issue. From Seattle’s point of view, they aren’t just trying to take every guy with the best contract. They have to build a roster out of this, including defense. It’s harder to get Top 4 defenders in an expansion draft where most teams will protect their 3 best guys. And they also have to get to the salary cap floor.

I highly doubt Armstrong is banking on Faulk being drafted. Frankly, I think he’ll protect him, Parayko and Krug. But if he dies get exposed, Faulk would certainly be a strong consideration for Seattle WITH the current contract.

Bolded: I think Army has to protect Faulk at this stage no matter what. We cant afford to lose Faulk how Army played his cards. If we dealt Faulk to Seattle who would be guy behind of Parayko, Bortuzzo, Reinke?

Wouldn't be stupid first acquire semi high price Faulk and then trade/expansion draft give a way Faulk freelly to Seattle, or in worse case scenario pay to Seattle to take that contract? We have accept with what Army has done and live by it.

Hopefully Chief will give Faulk 2nd powerplay if Krug is 1st guy at powerplay. That would boost Faulk's point produce and that contract would not be that bad and would make maybe it interesting to other teams.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Sure. My point is that if the Blues had the best offer on the table and Pietrangelo couldn't get better elsewhere because the market just wasn't there, then Armstrong effectively walked away from getting a much better player on his terms because he could't bother to wait a day or two for an answer.

It is stupid to play hardball, take the risk of letting Pietrangelo test the market, and then walk away at the very moment that gamble actually pays off and you find yourself in the negotiating driver's seat.

I agree 100% with Easton. Army completely screwed the pooch on this because he didn't bother to wait for an answer. If he chose to wait we still would have Pietrangelo whether you want to admit it for not. This is on Army.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
It’s obvious to me that if Petro and Vegas don’t come to terms, he comes back to DA.

If that happens, I could see what was offered still being on the table. DA could play hardball and offer less, but I can’t see DA doing that. The challenge will be for DA to make it work.

Two very good players who we like will need to be moved to bring Petro back. Not fun. That causes other problems.

These next few days should be interesting. Odds are that he signs with Vegas.

Reactions: mk80

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I agree 100% with Easton. Army completely screwed the pooch on this up because he didn't bother to wait for an answer. If he chose to wait we still would have Pietrangelo whether you want to admit it for not. This is on Army.
Based on what? He could just as easily have signed in Vegas and Krug couldn't have been expected to wait another 48 hours while we were dancing with someone else. Then we end up with neither.

Dude, you seriously need a break from this topic. You're 101% emotional and there isn't a shred of logic to be found right now. Take a walk or something. I don't know where you are but it is a beautiful day here in STL.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Eh. We’re talking about a timing where Armstrong literally just made his best and final offer. It was rejected. The door was left open, but it was left open for a situation like Pietro calling to say he has reconsidered. The offer was the offer.

In the UFA frenzy market, I don’t see what reasonable expectation there could be for Armstrong to sit on his hands as the best players to address the hole left by Pietro get snatched up.

The team owes respect to players like Krug and his agent as well. It’s hard to woo a guy and then when he agrees to what you propose, say “Hang on a moment while I make sure if my old girlfriend is available first.”

I have zero sympathy for Pietro being “caught off guard”. It’s like he crossed the Rubicon when he rejected the offer and didn’t realize it.
Exactly. The idea that DA is to blame for not doing his due diligence and acting of desperation is crap. He did his due diligence by continuously keeping the door open, sitting down to negotiate repeatedly, and waiting all throughout to give AP time to come back with an answer. DA's obligations were fulfilled the minute AP went to free agency. We can only speculate, I just hope AP's agent didn't talk him into screwing himself.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Yet we've another problem too. Krug wasn't used at PK at all in career in Boston.

So Scandella, Parayko, Faulk and Bortuzzo (Gunnar) are the only guys who can play at PK. Dunn and Krug need to be sheltered or they are forced to play PK. You have to find away somewhere to cover Pietro's PK icetime. Mikkola is one guy who could be 3rd pair with Bortuzzo and he can play PK so that would help. It also means that Dunn should be off the table.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I think we all need to take a back seat and relax. We know Armstrong is difficult to negotiate with, but he is fair. Petro wants the Karlsson money despite not winning a Norris, but he did bring a cup here. Ok, you can slide that into bonuses I guess. We have to be cognizant of the situation and realize every team is going to have issues with cap because of Covid, except for maybe Colorado.

Unless Petro gets a lucrative deal with the Aves, I don't see how he doesn't at least come back to the Blues and give them an ultimatum. I mean, we will have Tarasenko and probably Steen on LTIR (roughly 13.3 mil), so technically we COULD sign Petro and be ok at the beginning of the season. This gives you time to work out trades for some players and keep your captain on the team while also having Krug in the mix. Obviously the Faulk deal really hurts, but maybe you could structure a deal with Petro now so that he makes 8 mil for 1 year, the Seattle draft happens (ideally they take Faulk), and then you already have a structured deal for the next year where he makes 10 mil, and we can relax knowing Petro retires here. There HAS to be a creative way to keep him here.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ

Where was it reported that Pietrangelo rejected it?

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Well said.

The part about Pietrangelo being reportedly "caught off guard" by the Krug signing is odd to me as well. Shouldn't his agents have explained this was a very real possibility? Maybe he just thought the Blues were bluffing and would cave like they did on his demands in 2013?

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Well, yeah, there are plenty of morons out on the internet. I’d like to know how they feel about 8x8 for Petro now that we’ve paid 45.5 for Krug. Petro is definitely worth the 21M more than Krug.

Edit: Im bad at math.

there were people who thought letting Pujols go was the Cardinals just being too cheap and that those who thought we were offering him too much were (insert favorite derogatory term here)
the its too much crowd wound up to be right, and the pay him crowd wound up being wrong

since the Blues were willing to pay Petro 21M more than Krug, the Blues agree with you that he is worth that much more
but apparently the Petro camp wanted more than the 64M
how much more? we don’t know at this point, but if it was close we wouldn’t be talking about Krug

Reactions: TruBlu

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Where was it reported that Pietrangelo rejected it?
Wait, are you suggesting Pietro hadn’t responded to the offer? I think the burden is on you to show your work in that case. I think allowing the 8th year to fall off IS the response. Whatever that offer was became obsolete when an 8 year term was no longer possible. That equates with Pietro rejecting the offer. You interpret that differently?

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
funny story, I actually went to school to be a math teacher. Calculus, discrete math. Took all those classes and I here I am haha.
I started college almost 40 years ago as a Chemical Engineering major. I graduated with a Business Degree and now I'm in Finance. Sometimes things work out differently than we imagine.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I agree 100% with Easton. Army completely screwed the pooch on this because he didn't bother to wait for an answer. If he chose to wait we still would have Pietrangelo whether you want to admit it for not. This is on Army.
I have a signed pietrangelo jersey I'd like you to have. I just need for you to hold your breath until I get back with you. I promise I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I just have to talk to a few people before I give it to you, but I assure you my word is golden.

Reactions: DoubleK81

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Wait, are you suggesting Pietro hadn’t responded to the offer? I think the burden is on you to show your work in that case. I think allowing the 8th year to fall off IS the response. Whatever that offer was became obsolete when an 8 year term was no longer possible. That equates with Pietro rejecting the offer. You interpret that differently?
This seems correct. The offer before FA was likely the discussed 8x8. (Maybe not though)

If that was the case then even if he didn’t say the words “I reject”, he did so by going to FA. The offer was rejected because the offer had a predetermined timeline. Inaction is therefore action. We cannot give 8 years after the predetermined time.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Well said.

The part about Pietrangelo being reportedly "caught off guard" by the Krug signing is odd to me as well. Shouldn't his agents have explained this was a very real possibility? Maybe he just thought the Blues were bluffing and would cave like they did on his demands in 2013?

I can see why Newport isn’t liked.

Reactions: mk80 and TheDizee

MissouriMook

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
I have a signed pietrangelo jersey I'd like you to have. I just need for you to hold your breath until I get back with you. I promise I'll get back to you as soon as I can. I just have to talk to a few people before I give it to you, but I assure you my word is golden.
I laughed out loud at this because I actually do have one of those. Let me know if you need me to bail you out on this. ;)

Reactions: TruBlu

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
This seems correct. The offer before FA was likely the discussed 8x8. (Maybe not though)

If that was the case then even if he didn’t say the words “I reject”, he did so by going to FA. The offer was rejected because the offer had a predetermined timeline. Inaction is therefore action. We cannot give 8 years after the predetermined time.

if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad