Proposal: Tor- Mon

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ledge And Dairy

sxv-wtf.gif

Well, that's a direct way to tell everyone that you don't know what you talk about

Giordano is still good, maybe even better, but Chiarot brings more important tools for the playoffs on the table. Toronto knows. And he's cheaper against the cap, by a lot, too. He's a good/not great brutish top 3/4 dman, and every team need those
He is certainly not a top 4 dmen on a contender. You are just biased as a Habs fan

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Respectfully disagree. He doesn’t move the needle much at all. Only if Matthews and Marner play at the level they are now, Leafs have a great shot. Chiarot or no Chiarot doesn’t matter.
You're the most pragmatic and respectful Leafs fan I've run into on this board. Agree with you on the core needing to get it done. Thing is Florida or Tampa is a very tough outing either way.

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Do you not get how LTIR works, if Muzzin is out until at least playoffs (which I consider likely) then no you don't need to move the cap out
Muzzin will be back before playoffs, did you see him on the ice ? Looks good and said feels good . Leafs can sign who they want but need to be under or at the cap , include Muzzin plus leafs need him back by April to get ready for playoffs. So who do leafs move to sign ? No forwards , maybe Holl and Dermott , 3.5 mil to spend .

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I agree about the number of 1st... but if Chiarot dont get a 1st, he will get the value of a 1st (prospect)

Doubtful, and almost certainly not in the form of a single-asset.

He's likely the 5th or 6th most desirable defenceman likely to be available at the deadline (Lindholm, Manson, Giordano, Chychrun, Klingberg).

Plus, you look at some other less exciting names likely to be available (Justin Braun, Colin Miller, Nick Leddy, PK Subban, Nick Leddy, Calvin De Haan, Rasmus Ristolainen); and there really is no reason to give up premium assets for a defenceman.

edit: Add Mayfield & Staal to list as well.

Last edited:

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Doubtful, and almost certainly not in the form of a single-asset.

He's likely the 5th or 6th most desirable defenceman likely to be available at the deadline (Lindholm, Manson, Giordano, Chychrun, Klingberg).

Plus, you look at some other less exciting names likely to be available (Justin Braun, Colin Miller, Nick Leddy, PK Subban, Nick Leddy, Calvin De Haan, Rasmus Ristolainen); and there really is no reason to give up premium assets for a defenceman.
Could be but the cap hit is good and he would pair up good with Muzzin and the Sandin Holl , Rielly Brodie . The forwards stay as is . 4 lines that can play

Ledge And Dairy

Muzzin will be back before playoffs, did you see him on the ice ? Looks good and said feels good . Leafs can sign who they want but need to be under or at the cap , include Muzzin plus leafs need him back by April to get ready for playoffs. So who do leafs move to sign ? No forwards , maybe Holl and Dermott , 3.5 mil to spend .
And this is where we disagree on Muzzin. I do not believe they rush him back.

Reactions: Just a Fan

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
He is certainly not a top 4 dmen on a contender. You are just biased as a Habs fan

He's top 4 on the Leafs too, especially if Muzzin is hurt.

He's top 3 on the Oilers lol

Good for you if he's top 6 on your team. He would still beat the f*** out of your forwards

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Could be but the cap hit is good and he would pair up good with Muzzin and the Sandin Holl , Rielly Brodie . The forwards stay as is . 4 lines that can play

I'm not saying a "hard no" to Chiarot (although I can certainly see why somebody would, his advanced stats are absolutely awful, and Dubas likes advanced stats), simply trying to temper expectations as to what his realistic value is.

This year features a major buyers market. It's a combination of a lot of UFAs, a nonexistent playoff race in the east, and some of the higher seeded teams in the west not necessarily viewing themselves as "ready yet".

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
And this is where we disagree on Muzzin. I do not believe they rush him back.
It’s not a matter of rush , they need doctors approval that he’s not ready until playoffs. It would be nice for him to stay out and leafs add 2 players but it all depends on what doctors tell leafs in the next week or so . 2 months is a long time off , he skated off the ice on his own . Watching him at practice he looked good . Tavares started work outs after a month and skating , that was bad .

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Respectfully disagree. He doesn’t move the needle much at all. Only if Matthews and Marner play at the level they are now, Leafs have a great shot. Chiarot or no Chiarot doesn’t matter.

The core can go crazy in the playoffs and play amazing and they can still lose cause of the average Defence. He isn't Hedman or anything but Chiarot is an improvement on your 2nd pair for sure.

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Colorado, Tampa, Florida, Carolina, arguably Calgary but the other 4 are clear contenders
Good list. I’m a Leaf’s fan, adding Chiarot and or Fleury doesn’t make them a contender….could they go on a run? Sure….but nobody would call them a contender.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The core can go crazy in the playoffs and play amazing and they can still lose cause of the average Defence. He isn't Hedman or anything but Chiarot is an improvement on your 2nd pair for sure.

Just because he's an improvement, doesn't mean he's worth trading a 1st round pick for. Lindholm, Manson, Giordano, Chychrun, Klingberg, Justin Braun, Colin Miller, Nick Leddy, PK Subban, Nick Leddy, Calvin De Haan, Rasmus Ristolainen, Scott Mayfield & Marc Staal would all be improvements in one context or another.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Colorado, Tampa, Florida, Carolina, arguably Calgary but the other 4 are clear contenders

Calgary is the team I pick to get out of the West because they bland talent, depth and toughness really well. They are IMO an improved version of the Habs last year, with a bit less depth but more high end talent up front.
Colorado got their lunch stolen last year by a much more physical team and the same for the Leafs, who choked when it got tough. I don't see Florida or Carolina doing any better.

Playoffs hockey is a different beast and soft teams gets exposed.

Last edited:

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I'm not saying a "hard no" to Chiarot (although I can certainly see why somebody would, his advanced stats are absolutely awful, and Dubas likes advanced stats), simply trying to temper expectations as to what his realistic value is.

This year features a major buyers market. It's a combination of a lot of UFAs, a nonexistent playoff race in the east, and some of the higher seeded teams in the west not necessarily viewing themselves as "ready yet".

Avanced stats you need to know how to use it and nhl team dont count those stats the same way

Last playoffthis season
Ice time2nd49th
Hits3rd72th
Entry zone delayed1st63th
1v1 battle won1st11th
Defensive zone pass blocked1st43th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Toronto
Hits 30th
Entry zone delayed 27th
Defensive zone pass blocked 27th

JustAHabFan

Apr 8, 2008
Calgary is the team I pick to get out of the West because they bland talent, depth and toughness really well. They are IMO an inproved version of the Habs last year, with a bit less depth but more high end talent up front.
Colorado got their lunch stolen last year by a much physical team and the same for the Leafs, who choked when it got tough. I don't see Florida or Carolina doing any better.

Playoffs hockey is a different beast and soft teams gets exposed.
This. People talked about Leafs chance when Mathews & Marner go crazy in the playoff. Since when Mathews & Marner went crazy in the playoff? They are soft like butter in the playoff. The Leafs will get exposed when teams play tough in the playoff.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
This. People talked about Leafs chance when Mathews & Marner go crazy in the playoff. Since when Mathews & Marner went crazy in the playoff? They are soft like butter in the playoff. The Leafs will get exposed when teams play tough in the playoff.

LOL. They're not 22 or 23 years old KIDS anymore. But you go ahead & cling to whatever you need to cling to. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad