Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So, Bob M @ $11.5 was pretty much spot on with the cap hit.

He had Marner at $10.

Makes it very interesting going forward for Toronto.

Bob did his Leafs roster at an $85 cap ceiling but only 20 roster players. He left them $1.2 million in cap space. So already he lost $134k of that. So now they have $1.065 million of cap space for replacement players per his model.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Don't like the contract as a Leafs fan. Think its either too short or too hit of a cap hit, however:
- Leafs apparently had zero leverage in this negotiation. If he made it to RFA status, he would be instantly offersheeted to a deal that the Leafs can't afford with losing someone important.
- This number, although high, is manageable as far as keeping Matthews/Marner/Nylander.
- No more stupid Matthews to Arizona nonsense.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
He's above Tavares, similar tier to Kane/Stamkos, below Crosby/McDavid.

Eichel signing for 10 million a year, based on what he's going to do, rather what he's done; really f***ed up the RFA market. But even then, sabres got term.

Eichel 13.33% for 8 years
Stamkos 11.66% for 5 years (off ELC)
Kane 15.22 % for 8 years.

11.6 is close to 14 % of the cap for 5 years.

R.F.A doesn't buy as much apparently and I think we're getting worked over a bit. Not a lot, but a little bit.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

webdev

Nov 3, 2017
McDavid for the cost of Marleau and Zaitsev.

Awful contract. Would be fair (maybe even a bit high) if it was an 8 year deal.

Not great but we can survive two years without him until Mcdavid comes home.

Oh and Marleau has one year left, how many more years will you have the pylon? Glass houses oilers fans....

Reactions: meng666

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
If Marner waits until the off-season and has a great playoffs (again) while Matthews underwhelms (again) it’s going to put Dubas in a very difficult spot.

No doubt in my mind Marner stays a Leaf. It just looks like these contracts are really going to cement the window of opportunity.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Your hate is directed at wrong person. Matthews is doing whats best for him..as anyone would.

Your GM blew this.

True I am also pissed at Dubas. He can draft, he can trade, but he sucks at negotiating contracts. However I am mostly pissed at Matthews for not stepping in like McDavid did and making it digestible. He just milked them.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
wew lad

enjoy having Marner hold out in the future because the Leafs offer him less despite being the far superior player
Rumor out there that Marner and his agent are now considering signing before the offseason.

benedictTavares

JT's PJ's'
Jan 15, 2013
Scottsdale
oh god its buyout proof also. LOL LOL LOL
giphy.gif

Reactions: dukeofjive

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Matthews is worth it but with the current core I really expected him and Marner to take discounts a bit.

Was thinking 10-10.5

Very curious to see what Marner gets.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Somehow the Leafs will still have enough money to sign Duchene and Panarin too

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Thats a dab deal... at 11.6M I expected at the very least 6 year deal

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I’m a firm believer core players should be locked up for max term, but there have been a ton of star players that signed for only 5-6 years on their 2nd deal.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He basically GOT 14M when you factor in term. HFmains were right, Matthews is a bum who doesn't give a **** about the city. **** him. Honestly glad I never got his jersey and got Rielly. Rather take the picks and I will boo him when I am in person later this week.

hahahahaa

Reactions: Filthy Dangles
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad