Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV) Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
With the way the Tavares situation played out - does it change how teams deal with their impending FA stars?

Can see teams setting a hard, team imposed deadline to allow a trade window to gain assets.

I have to believe Ottawa is paying alot of attention

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Are you implying that you're going to criticize him if he's not the best player in the league next year? Because he doesn't even have to be the best player on his team. And I'm pretty sure he will avoid any criticism if he posts a 75+ point season.

I think it's more a case the media will eat him alive the second he starts playing like an 8M dollar player

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think it's more a case the media will eat him alive the second he starts playing like an 8M dollar player

Isles fans will recall, some including myself who was just following Barzal's Calder rookie season last year criticized Tavares play in the 2nd half last season. And this was at only 5.5M not 11M or 15.9M to be precise. He's in Toronto now. Things will be 1000x more magnified. I agree the media will eat him alive if he does not play to that 11M or almost 16M pay cheque next season.

Reactions: PWJunior

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
If he didn't expect that coming into the contract then that's his fault.

The flip side to that is he will be praised as a hero if he plays like a superstar or leads the Leafs into a long playoff run.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Isles fans will recall, some including myself who was just following Barzal's Calder rookie season last year criticized Tavares play in the 2nd half last season. And this was at only 5.5M not 11M or 15.9M to be precise. He's in Toronto now. Things will be 1000x more magnified. I agree the media will eat him alive if he does not play to that 11M or almost 16M pay cheque next season.

I don't think they will care about the pay check and anybody who does is only looking for a reason to complain(Steve Simmons), but I do think if he doesn't play up close to that caphit(i'll give him a couple million leeway that's when the piranhas will start coming out)

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
Why can't all be blamed?

From a management perspective if it looked like they forced Tavares out the backlash against them(and the team in general) would be bad. In the case of Tavares while you can argue he owed the management nothing, he at least owed the fans a little more honesty stringing them along

I understand your point but respectively disagree. When managing a team, you do not make decisions based on what the fan base may feel or the potential backlash to the team. You make decisions that are best for the team. Period. Isle management should have taken control and forced Tavares hand to make a decision. They could have done it nicely but firmly. They could have done something like this in the summer of 2017...

"John we know you like it here and are not ready to make a decision yet. Firstly, know that we want and need you here. Having said that, we cannot take a chance that you leave the organization for nothing. That would be a disaster for this organization and potentially set us back years. It would also not be fair to the team to have this level of uncertainty for the entire 2017-18 season and have this be a potential distraction to you, us and the team. We need to either have you sign an extension this summer (summer of 2017) or we will have to move forward and trade you to eliminate the risk of losing you for nothing."

To me, Snow / Ownership should have recognized John was not 100% onboard with the Isles and should have forced a decision on John.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
With the way the Tavares situation played out - does it change how teams deal with their impending FA stars?

Can see teams setting a hard, team imposed deadline to allow a trade window to gain assets.

100% agree. I think this does change the landscape for how teams handle high end UFA's.

Finnish your Czech

Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Patrick Marleau got 47 points with a 8.5 million dollar paycheck last season. How come he wasn't eaten alive by the media?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I don't think they will care about the pay check and anybody who does is only looking for a reason to complain(Steve Simmons), but I do think if he doesn't play up close to that caphit(i'll give him a couple million leeway that's when the piranhas will start coming out)

I just think, infact I know how this market works. If players like Bozak and JVR were under a microscope for earning 1/4 of what Tavares will be next year as the 16M $ man and they were criticized often for their play at just 4.2 M and 4.25M per year during their tenures, these next 7 years are going to be interesting. Even Kessel who went onto win 2 Cups was chased out of town at what looks like a discount now at 8M per and 6.8M with 1.2 retained by the Leafs for the rest of his contract.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I just think, infact I know how this market works. If players like Bozak and JVR were under a microscope for earning 1/4 of what Tavares will be next year as the 16M $ man and they were criticized often for their play at just 4.2 M and 4.25M per year during their tenures, these next 7 years are going to be interesting.

Look at it this way over the life of Weber's contract do people view him as a guy making 14M or 12M or a 7.8M Caphit? Now that he "only" makes 6M is he a 6M player or a guy who gets a 7.8M caphit

Reactions: Kelly

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Look at it this way over the life of Weber's contract do people view him as a guy making 14M or 12M or a 7.8M Caphit? Now that he "only" makes 6M is he a 6M player or a guy who gets a 7.8M caphit

Weber, Perry, even Toews. One thing in common these with Big, long contracts have, there comes a time they will be questioned. It has happened to all players, the good, bad and mediocre.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
100% agree. I think this does change the landscape for how teams handle high end UFA's.

In addition, I can see the next labor negotiation also address the signing bonus to salary ratio. NOT that Tavares contract is the first or only in this nature. But it will be the example oft cited.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
In addition, I can see the next labor negotiation also address the signing bonus to salary ratio. NOT that Tavares contract is the first or only in this nature. But it will be the example oft cited.

In all Reality is it any different if I give a contract of

8-8-4-4

or

1-1-1-1 with bonuses of 7-7-3-3 every July 1

The only difference bonuses will make is if their is a lockout or strike. Maybe the league can change it for the future that bonuses don't get paid out till the start of the season. I also believe if a player goes on LTIR during the season, the team gets screwed since insurance will only cover the base salary not the bonus

Cotton

May 13, 2013
I just think, infact I know how this market works. If players like Bozak and JVR were under a microscope for earning 1/4 of what Tavares will be next year as the 16M $ man and they were criticized often for their play at just 4.2 M and 4.25M per year during their tenures, these next 7 years are going to be interesting. Even Kessel who went onto win 2 Cups was chased out of town at what looks like a discount now at 8M per and 6.8M with 1.2 retained by the Leafs for the rest of his contract.

You have no idea how this market works, lol. You are, in all seriousness, the Steve Simmons of HF, Tavares is your new target and you won’t be able to back up the nonsense you post so you’ll run away - like Simmons.

For example, neither Bozak or JVR were under the microscope, Kessel wasn’t chased out of town, Tavares isn’t making $16M (he isn’t even making $16 in bonus money).

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

What if he doesn't check Twitter or The Athletic? Will he notice if he doesn't bother looking? I think TOR insulates enough that players don't worry. Look at Kadri. Plenty has been said about him and the League Disciplinary Office too. Do you think that actually affects him? You think it would, but I don't think Kadri has had a self-reflective moment in his life.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The NHL is so balanced these days. Leafs are clearly a top 5 team and a Top 1-2 D from being a Super Team. They are also a major injury to Tavares, Reilly Or Anderson in game 3 of the season away from potentially missing the playoffs.
Stunning observation. You can say that about every team in the league. Btw, if Tavares goes down, the Leafs can just run with Matthews, Kadri and Nylander/Marleau down the middle which is still better centre depth than over half the teams in the league.

Hyman Matthews Brown
Marleau Kadri Marner
Johnsson Nylander Kapanen

Still a damn impressive top 9

Reactions: leospaceman3434

member 300185

Media can suck a duck egg. Doesn't matter what the media does, the fans will love him and thats what counts.

Finnish your Czech

Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
JVR and Bozak were barely criticized. It's Toronto, every player will get criticized. So the Leafs shouldn't have signed Tavares because he will get criticized at some point in his contract?

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
JVR and Bozak were barely criticized. It's Toronto, every player will get criticized. So the Leafs shouldn't have signed Tavares because he will get criticized at some point in his contract?

From a Leafs perspective, worst case scenario is that contract doesn't work out they probably can trade him(even with his NMC) by year 4, so it would be stupid to say it was a bad move for the Leafs.

Now in the case of Tavares himself I am not sure his low key personality and the Toronto media circus will mesh well if things aren't going as good as some people expect(I would put that line somewhere in the low 70s/high 60s)

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
In all Reality is it any different if I give a contract of

8-8-4-4

or

1-1-1-1 with bonuses of 7-7-3-3 every July 1

The only difference bonuses will make is if their is a lockout or strike. Maybe the league can change it for the future that bonuses don't get paid out till the start of the season. I also believe if a player goes on LTIR during the season, the team gets screwed since insurance will only cover the base salary not the bonus

Reportedly, Bettman warned teams prior to this FA period from making these kind of contracts. Most teams did it any way. Why? because it has become almost a requirement to get any FA of worth to even consider a team.

So the argument that it’s the organizations fault for giving such contracts kind of falls flat in reality. Because there is no way to do such business without relying on such a deal.

As for your question. Is there a difference mathematically? Not really. But the structure clearly favors the player and disadvantages the organization.

Based on past practices... any of these unforeseen loopholes have been addressed by previous negotiations. Ie. Contract length, recap penalty, 35+ contract etc. Can’t see how this will be any different.

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
The NHL is so balanced these days. Leafs are clearly a top 5 team and a Top 1-2 D from being a Super Team. They are also a major injury to Tavares, Reilly Or Anderson in game 3 of the season away from potentially missing the playoffs.

One injury wouldnt really change much imo. I think the leafs would be pretty fine even if 2 of their important players got injured. Maybe andersen and rielly both getting injured long term would be concerning but even then i think the leafs make the playoffs. A tavares injury would be pretty insigificant in terms of playoff hopes bc the leafs have amazing depth.

Reactions: Atomos2

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Based on past practices... any of these unforeseen loopholes have been addressed by previous negotiations. Ie. Contract length, recap penalty, 35+ contract etc. Can’t see how this will be any different.

If I had to guess changes, they will only allow 50% of any season salary to be non performance bonuses. They will not allow bonuses to be buyout proof plus they will find a way to make bonuses not be paid in an event of a strike or lockout.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Tavares said it perfectly. If you can't handle the pressure of playing in a big market, perhaps playing in the NHL is not right for you.

BTW, why does @The Winter Soldier keep bringing up his salary? Are you paying it? His cap hit is 11M. Who cares what he makes. He counts for 11M on the cap and he took a 14-22 million dollar discount to play for his hometown Toronto Maple Leaf team. That's awesome.

Woll Smoth

Mar 17, 2010
Mississauga

For someone warning about the microscope Tavares will be under if he under performs, you sure do like to narrow in on the year 1 salary of his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad