Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV) Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Wasn't it awkward for the Islanders to hire Lamoriello from the Leafs, and the next thing Tavares leaves for Leafs. Did Lamoriello tell Tavares to go play for Toronto?

I assume Lamoriello tried to sell Tavares on such moves as giving Leo Komarov 4 years and 12 million, and Ross Johnston a 4 year deal, and bringing back Matt Martin for 2 years and 5 million, and then bringing a guy like Valteri Filppula to bolster the offense and how great of a 1-3 down the middle that would be, with Tavares, Filppula and the kid who won the Calder. That would surely convince Tavares to dedicate another 8 years to a franchise that has shown zero ability to build around an Elite Center.

Actually, the move to Toronto kinda seems obvious.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
I assume Lamoriello tried to sell Tavares on such moves as giving Leo Komarov 4 years and 12 million, and Ross Johnston a 4 year deal, and bringing back Matt Martin for 2 years and 5 million, and then bringing a guy like Valteri Filppula to bolster the offense and how great of a 1-3 down the middle that would be, with Tavares, Filppula and the kid who won the Calder. That would surely convince Tavares to dedicate another 8 years to a franchise that has shown zero ability to build around an Elite Center.

There were certainly some clues:

When I saw that interview, I knew something was up. Being a Canadian living in the US, for some reason it really resonated with me. I swear I use some of the same terms when thinking of moving home.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
There were certainly some clues:

When I saw that interview, I knew something was up. Being a Canadian living in the US, for some reason it really resonated with me. I swear I use some of the same terms when thinking of moving home.

I could see this coming a year ago. Once the Leafs were on the upswing, I knew he would follow his heart and come home. Each passing day where he didn’t sign just confirmed it.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Tavares is going to light it up in Toronto playing with Marner. Good god...this is incredible.
John Wick Tavares is a man of focus, commitment, sheer will. He once killed a man in a bar with a pencil

Reactions: glue

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

But yet, everyone said he'd stay in Long Island. What a complete disaster Lou has been since July 1st.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Marleau Matthews Nylander

Hyman Tavares Marner

Johnsson Kadri Brown

Just a reminder that is not a fantasy top 9 you build in NHL 19 that's real

John Tavares is a Leaf fans and the rest of the NHL you are kind of screwed

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

tell that to the 95% of non leaf fans that were saying "dream on leaf fans"

lol

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Marleau Matthews Nylander

Hyman Tavares Marner

Johnsson Kadri Brown

Just a reminder that is not a fantasy top 9 you build in NHL 19 that's real

John Tavares is a Leaf fans and the rest of the NHL you are kind of screwed

The wild cards are Johnsson and Kapanen. If they take big steps this year it could be an unstoppable top 9. The third line will be extremely sheltered, and with a very good center in Kadri passing the puck to them I expect big things.

Feb 24, 2017
No idea. In theory you'd go the big 4 and Rielly or Gards. But then who plays the front of the net role? I think they'll probably go the big 4 minus Nylander and put Nylander/Kadri as the go to guys on PP2 with Marleau, and Johnsson/Kapanen but not sure who's going to be the 4th forward on the top PP.
“Big 4” now?! Geez.

I was ready to accept the term “big 3” now that they signed Tavares.

Matthews yup
Tavares yup
Marner leaning towards yup after last year

Then you have Twinkie the wonder ghost as 4? That severely drags down the other 3.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
“Big 4” now?! Geez.

I was ready to accept the term “big 3” now that they signed Tavares.

Matthews yup
Tavares yup
Marner leaning towards yup after last year

Then you have Twinkie the wonder ghost as 4? That severely drags down the other 3.
Man, the Leafs are living in your head rent free. You comment more on Leafs threads than your own team.

Feb 24, 2017
Between Benning and Linden I always assumed there was plenty of bong ripping going on.
I’m not one to care about who does what with their individual legacies. It’s their legacy, not mine. I don’t blame old players for hanging on “too long”, etc. But man is linden’s second(or third, since he played here twice) act as a Canuck whittling away at the good he did here as a player.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
tell that to the 95% of non leaf fans that were saying "dream on leaf fans"

lol

I mean, it was just a dream until it happened. Are you trying to pretend you knew all along he'd come to Toronto? I love it as much as anyone, but realistically I thought he'd stay in NYI.

This gloating doesn't help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad