Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV) Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
I mean, it was just a dream until it happened. Are you trying to pretend you knew all along he'd come to Toronto? I love it as much as anyone, but realistically I thought he'd stay in NYI.

This gloating doesn't help

You cant really be surprised by ppl gloating after being mocked for 9 yrs.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
All I know is because of the whole "super team" aspect that is now in Toronto other teams are gonna play them as such so we will see how it works out. They are going to get a lot of teams best games.

I do think they Leafs have to finish 1st in the Atlantic because I think getting past ONE of the Bruins or Bolts is possible, both not so much.

Of course maybe Clark Kent has some moves left and that changes things but even on paper right now, I just can't see it.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
All I know is because of the whole "super team" aspect that is now in Toronto other teams are gonna play them as such so we will see how it works out. They are going to get a lot of teams best games.

I do think they Leafs have to finish 1st in the Atlantic because I think getting past ONE of the Bruins or Bolts is possible, both not so much.

Of course maybe Clark Kent has some moves left and that changes things but even on paper right now, I just can't see it.

Toronto always gets a team's best.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I mean, it was just a dream until it happened. Are you trying to pretend you knew all along he'd come to Toronto? I love it as much as anyone, but realistically I thought he'd stay in NYI.

This gloating doesn't help

Any fanbase would gloat. People forget that everyone said he would not come to Toronto, even all the Toronto media daily.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015

This is one thing no one other than leaf fans seem to grasp on these boards. A home game for the Leafs is also a home game for usually about 3-5 players on the team they are playing, because they are from there and they have all of their family and friends in the crowd. They play like they are in the Stanley Cup finals. We always seem to get a lot of teams best games, which is something that can cost you points during the season. Tavares in the line up will be no different, except for maybe when we play the Isles.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

Disagree with that sentiment. I think Toronto is just built differently, they're not even close to bordering on the whole "super team" aspect like the NBA has. Was Pittsburgh a super team? I'd say no. Plus a lot of teams seemed to like playing against the Leafs already so that won't change much. ;)

I do agree that the Leafs goal now is to finish with home ice advantage for the playoffs above Boston or Tampa. It's one of the toughest roads through the playoffs imo. They've got to help themselves through that with getting that home ice. Won't be easy but that's a very top heavy division with Tampa, Toronto and Boston.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Disagree with that sentiment. I think Toronto is just built differently, they're not even close to bordering on the whole "super team" aspect like the NBA has. Was Pittsburgh a super team? I'd say no. Plus a lot of teams seemed to like playing against the Leafs already so that won't change much. ;)

I think the Pens were a bit of a super team once they got Kessel, and the results showed it. Especially in 2016 with Letang playing like one of the better D in the league.

Oh and the two best centers in the league are on the same team so there is that. ;)

Reactions: Liminality

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
This is one thing no one other than leaf fans seem to grasp on these boards. A home game for the Leafs is also a home game for usually about 3-5 players on the team they are playing, because they are from there and they have all of their family and friends in the crowd. They play like they are in the Stanley Cup finals. We always seem to get a lot of teams best games, which is something that can cost you points during the season. Tavares in the line up will be no different, except for maybe when we play the Isles.

#kevinweekes.

roosterman

Feb 4, 2008
Wow... today is the first time I've come back in the Tavares thread since early July and I'm surprised by the level of hostility STILL on this thread. I don't blame the Isle fans on being upset. I would be upset as well if I lost a prime time player for nothing. That hurts a lot.

Who should be blamed? Tavares? Snow? Ownership? I think ultimate blame is with the Ownership and Snow. They should have pushed Tavares more for an answer over a year ago. They should have said either you sign an extension one year in advance OR we trade you one year in advance. It appears Tavares was torn with this decision but the Islanders should never have taken the approach they did. They should have taken a hardlined approach the summer of 2017. Had they done that I suspect Tavares would have resigned with the Isles as he never would have had a chance to see presentations and start to really visualize the options elsewhere. At a minimum, the Isles would have received a good return for him.

I think this signing potentially changes the landscape for how NHL teams handle their pending star UFA's. Before Tavares, it was very rare for a star player to leave their team. Is Tavares an anomaly or does this start a trend of high end UFA's leaving?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
It's true that landing JT doesn't guarantee that the Leafs will be a "Super Team" and win 90% of all their games. They might fall well below expectations. I wonder what will be said then? :)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Who should be blamed? Tavares? Snow? Ownership?

Why can't all be blamed?

From a management perspective if it looked like they forced Tavares out the backlash against them(and the team in general) would be bad. In the case of Tavares while you can argue he owed the management nothing, he at least owed the fans a little more honesty stringing them along

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Tavares thread #3, Perhaps we can now move onto his hockey expectations this year from a league perspective, He will be making double what he previously did at 5.5M per, he is now the highest paid player this upcoming season at 15.9, 2.4 more than McDavid. And is no longer a bargain with the 2nd highest cap hit next year at 11M. Tavares went from the safety of a small market to the danger of under a microscope of one of the largest markets in the league. Any slump will be magnified when you are a normal player playing in this market, but as the highest paid player in tbe NHL. He will literally have to be the best player in the league to earn that 15.9 next season or the critics will be out that he is another overpaid free agent that was signed on July 1 for the next 7 years.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Any fanbase would gloat. People forget that everyone said he would not come to Toronto, even all the Toronto media daily.

To be perfectly honest I am surprised Tavares choose the Leafs because he seems like a really private kind of guy. I figured if anybody would want to stay away from a media circus it would be him.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
It's true that landing JT doesn't guarantee that the Leafs will be a "Super Team" and win 90% of all their games. They might fall well below expectations. I wonder what will be said then? :)

The NHL is so balanced these days. Leafs are clearly a top 5 team and a Top 1-2 D from being a Super Team. They are also a major injury to Tavares, Reilly Or Anderson in game 3 of the season away from potentially missing the playoffs.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Tavares thread #3, Perhaps we can now move onto his expectations this year from a league perspective, He will be making double what he previously did at 5.5M per, he is the highest paid player this upcoming season at 15.9, 2.4 more than McDavid. And his the 2nd highest cap hit next year at 11M. Tavares went from the safety of a small market to the danger of under a microscope of one of the largest markets in the league. Any slump will be magnified when you are a normal player, but as the highest paid player in tbe NHL. He will literally have to be the best player in the league to earn that 15.9 next season or the critics will be out that he is another overpaid free agent that was signed on July 1 for the next 7 years.

Very true. If he isn't stellar right from the beginning, hyenas like yourself will pounce without hesitation. But what else can you expect from pea brained hyenas?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Very true. If he isn't stellar right from the beginning, hyenas like yourself will pounce without hesitation. But what else can you expect from pea brained hyenas?

Do you know the frequency of many what is wrong threads that pop up on the Main board? Your over sensitivity is noted here. But if you do not wish to participate on the main board when and if this happens. You can post on the team board or just press the ignore threads function. Your name calling or whining will not stop NHL fans from discussing if a player is worth x amount of dollars as we do each and every year on the main board.

Tavares is the highest paid player next year at 15.9, and the 2nd highest cap hit. Posting about his performance relative to this on the main board is a discussion worthy topic.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Do you know the frequency of many what is wrong threads that pop up on the Main board? Your over sensitivity is noted here. But if you do not wish to participate on the main board when and if this happens. You can post on the team board or just press the ignore threads function. Your whining will not stop NHL fans from discussing if a player is worth x amount of dollars as we do each and every year on the main board.

You just posted a load of barely readable gibberish.

Are you calling me oversensitive for criticizing your Jim Matheson/Mark Spector/Steve Simmons levels thoughts? Who's oversensitive again?

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
With the way the Tavares situation played out - does it change how teams deal with their impending FA stars?

Can see teams setting a hard, team imposed deadline to allow a trade window to gain assets.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Tavares thread #3, Perhaps we can now move onto his hockey expectations this year from a league perspective, He will be making double what he previously did at 5.5M per, he is now the highest paid player this upcoming season at 15.9, 2.4 more than McDavid. And is no longer a bargain with the 2nd highest cap hit next year at 11M. Tavares went from the safety of a small market to the danger of under a microscope of one of the largest markets in the league. Any slump will be magnified when you are a normal player playing in this market, but as the highest paid player in tbe NHL. He will literally have to be the best player in the league to earn that 15.9 next season or the critics will be out that he is another overpaid free agent that was signed on July 1 for the next 7 years.
Are you implying that you're going to criticize him if he's not the best player in the league next year? Because he doesn't even have to be the best player on his team. And I'm pretty sure he will avoid any criticism if he posts a 75+ point season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You just posted a load of barely readable gibberish.

Are you calling me oversensitive for criticizing your Jim Matheson/Mark Spector/Steve Simmons levels thoughts? Who's oversensitive again?

Are you implying that you're going to criticize him if he's not the best player in the league next year? Because he doesn't even have to be the best player on his team. And I'm pretty sure he will avoid any criticism if he posts a 75+ point season.

Incase you missed it. Read closer and with better comprehension.
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/148190971/

FelixPotvin29

Oct 21, 2012
Do you know the frequency of many what is wrong threads that pop up on the Main board? Your over sensitivity is noted here. But if you do not wish to participate on the main board when and if this happens. You can post on the team board or just press the ignore threads function. Your name calling or whining will not stop NHL fans from discussing if a player is worth x amount of dollars as we do each and every year on the main board.

Tavares is the highest paid player next year at 15.9, and the 2nd highest cap hit. Posting about his performance relative to this on the main board is a discussion worthy topic.

Content vs Context... keep it in mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad