Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV) Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Beat writer Andrew Gross's tweet said Tavares requested not to be traded. It's been stated numerous times. I don't know why people continue to deny it.

This isn't to excuse management. You don't let the inmates run the asylum. Malkin screwed up.

Hmm, that's interesting, first time I've seen that. Still, there's no direct quote so I'm left wondering how reliable this Gross guy is (not saying he is or isn't, I just don't know). If Tavares actually requested that he not be traded, wouldn't that have been widely reported?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
it's only unverifiable to you. because you are not informed. anyone of long standing even loosely connected to the team knows.

How else would I have known it was possible in february.

The fact is that it was a subject of discussion but Tavares down played it by repeatedly saying he wanted to be and Islander . Which he said several times and by going to ownership and requesting he not be traded. Why do you think several long term islanders posters are all in agreement with this as betrayal? Don't you think they've talked to the same sources i have?

All the long term guys have I'm sure of it. Stan Fischler almost have him self a stroke over it
Everyone knew it was possible in February, when the Isles had apparently already offered him an 8x$10 mil contract and he didn't re-sign. I mean your management/ownership took an awful risk with their biggest asset, not treating that as warning sign that he was going to want to possibly test the market. The guy played the season with $80 million on the table, and risk of career ending injury during that time. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that he was likely going at least to the listening period. Your management/ownership took the risk, the franchise/fanbase bears the consequence of it. That is not on Tavares. He was within his right as a player who earned after 9 years of putting the Isles first (look at the sweetheart 6 year deal he gave you guys), the right to go to free agency if he pleased. Please tell me what the team did to make him want to stay, other than changing management at the 11th hour and creating even more uncertainty with the Isles direction/situation.

Honest questions, put your fandom aside.

If you worked for a company/employer that squandered your talent for almost a decade (and during that time did nothing dramatic to improve), would you feel comfortable extending your employment (keep in mind you are locked in) for 8 more years, when you have competing companies/employers with better situations on the table?

And further, one of those companies/employers with the better situation is in your hometown and your fiancee's hometown where your family (especially parents) resides, and you are getting married and likely starting a family, and this company is what motivated you to pursue your career path.

Should your loyalty to your current employer/company supersede what is better for you personally and your family?

The fact that this decision was even a tough one for him should tell you something about his integrity and character.

Reactions: Kelly and Mach85

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
I am not sure what it is you wish me not to believe. I am pointing out how asinine it is for you to offer up as proof "how could I possibly know in February" when the entire world knew 7 years ago it was possible? I mean, as far as predictors go, that one doesn't exactly make you the Oracle of Delphi.
no it wasn't that he would leave it was that his fiance was actively pushing for it. That wasn't on cap friendly as far as I know rants. If you know differently then state it.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Hmm, that's interesting, first time I've seen that. Still, there's no direct quote so I'm left wondering how reliable this Gross guy is (not saying he is or isn't, I just don't know). If Tavares actually requested that he not be traded, wouldn't that have been widely reported?

That tweet also doesn't actually say he requested not to be traded, it said it was his right to do so.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Beat writer Andrew Gross's tweet said Tavares requested not to be traded. It's been stated numerous times. I don't know why people continue to deny it.

This isn't to excuse management. You don't let the inmates run the asylum. Malkin screwed up.

There seems to be some some competing narratives concerning this.

Tavares himself has said Snow came to him and said he wasnt trading him.

How about this source:

Id actually like to hear from Snow himself what happened but I doubt he will be talking.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I'm just going to keep posting this.

That's fair- though he's only mentioning it in passing, after it's been rumoured. Was there anything at the deadline, or in the lead-up about that?

And in any case, I think the rest of my post still stands.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That tweet also doesn't actually say he requested not to be traded, it said it was his right to do so.

Yes I noticed that too. There is the sentence: "But JT's no-trade request did #Isles no favors." which implies that he asked not to be traded but I would expect something a bit more concrete than one tweet which "implies" before taking it too seriously.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Also not Oracle of Delphi stuff. Engaged last summer. Fiancee from GTA.........

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
There seems to be some some competing narratives concerning this.

Tavares himself has said Snow came to him and said he wasnt trading him.

How about this source:

Id actually like to hear from Snow himself what happened but I doubt he will be talking.

You do realize that Snow saying he won't trade Tavares could be for 101 reasons. I am guessing one of them is not Tavares indicates he most likely will leave the team and the Islanders will keep him anyway despite their slim playoff hopes

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
This Gross guy is the same beat writer that said he was locked up a week earlier and looked extremely foolish when he wasn't.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
First time here with HFB. I guess i'm in the wrong place since I'm not a leaf fan and what I'm reading I don't think anyone wants to hear me or anyone say something negative about JT.

And your point? Nobody said this was a Leafs centric sub-thread. Welcome to the real world, where there are more Leaf fans than most other teams combined.

Most people show up, get their digs in, and peace out anyway.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I mean after 8 years of promising to be the isles joe Sakic or steve yzerman he should've signed an extension last July with out hesitation

People take wedding vows. Circumstances change. I'm divorced and that was a life-changing decision. I love my current partner. I see myself with her forever. Could that change? Could she leave for cause? Life happens.

Reactions: teleman

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
This notion that Tavares was being dishonest or unethical by not requesting a trade at the deadline is downright laughable to be honest. He was the captain of the team in the midst of a playoff race, why would he ever request a trade? You don't see Leafs fans displaying the same contempt for Bozak or JVR for not demanding to be sent out the door at the deadline. The fact that JT is a far better player than either of them has no relevance; he served his time in New York, and did everything he could to help the franchise succeed, and then left as a free agent.

You can see why the players would feel slighted watching their captain leave, but at the end of the day it's a business and you have to do what's best for you and your family. Nothing dishonest about it.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I'm still curious about that meeting he had with Lou. I can't help but wonder if Lou was some sort of compensation/networking opportunity to ease the blow of losing Tavares. We're taking your captain, but here, we're giving you a Hall of Fame GM that wants to rebuild your franchise. Non-Zero Sum FTW!

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Funny how his contract wasn't a problem when the Islanders were offering him 8 years on the same cap hit of $11 mill. But now when he's signed with the leafs, it's suddenly a contract that might be a problem.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
This Gross guy is the same beat writer that said he was locked up a week earlier and looked extremely foolish when he wasn't.

All this stuff just makes the nutty Islander fans (the nutty one, not that all isle fans are nutty) look worse and worse.

I could at least respect them if they were just pissed off from being rejected. But this “he screwed us, he lied” BS is pure lies. And they’ve used it to go after him and his fiancé with no evidence... just a feeling that it’s somehow justified.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
There is a whole locked thread here the Winter Soldier started based on the tweet I mentioned.
Have a link? That sounds like pure gold as far as I'm concerned. Can't bump it either due to it being locked.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY

I have no reason to question him. He's been a good writer and has good insight since taking over for Staple who is now at the Athletic. I'm more apt to trust him at the point than Staple. Staple was telling everyone how he thought Tavares was staying and kept stating that his sources from around the NHL all thought he was staying as well. Of course if it is all leaked from Snow, what good is it? I put it all on Malkin/Ledecky not Snow or Tavares. Snow is a boob and Tavares is a player under team control. Well within their rights to trade him. Hopefully Malkin learned a lesson, as costly as it was.

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Everyone knew it was possible in February, when the Isles had apparently already offered him an 8x$10 mil contract and he didn't re-sign. I mean your management/ownership took an awful risk with their biggest asset, not treating that as warning sign that he was going to want to possibly test the market. The guy played the season with $80 million on the table, and risk of career ending injury during that time. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that he was likely going at least to the listening period. Your management/ownership took the risk, the franchise/fanbase bears the consequence of it. That is not on Tavares. He was within his right as a player who earned after 9 years of putting the Isles first (look at the sweetheart 6 year deal he gave you guys), the right to go to free agency if he pleased. Please tell me what the team did to make him want to stay, other than changing management at the 11th hour and creating even more uncertainty with the Isles direction/situation.

Honest questions, put your fandom aside.

If you worked for a company/employer that squandered your talent for almost a decade (and during that time did nothing dramatic to improve), would you feel comfortable extending your employment (keep in mind you are locked in) for 8 more years, when you have competing companies/employers with better situations on the table?

And further, one of those companies/employers with the better situation is in your hometown and your fiancee's hometown where your family (especially parents) resides, and you are getting married and likely starting a family, and this company is what motivated you to pursue your career path.

Should your loyalty to your current employer/company supersede what is better for you personally and your family?

The fact that this decision was even a tough one for him should tell you something about his integrity and character.
First off what sweetheart deal. At the time he was still on his ELC and bridge deals were way less than 5.5m so come off it.

Second I have said it was in his right to sign where he wanted several times. My only point is he didn't need to lie to do it.

He asked not to be traded. He said time after time after time I want to be an Islander. each time it was unforced and unsolicited.

He chose to do it.He wasn't just some player.He was the captain.. He spoke as captain of leadership, loyalty and commitment several times year after year. Again unsolicited again of his own coloration no body made him say those things

As a leaf fan you have every reason to make excuses for him. And you have but it doesn't make his actions any less shady. Again, He didn't have to ask not to be traded. again he didn't need to say I want to be an islander. Several times. He was the captain Islander brass had every reason to trust his word

Just like leaf fans have every reason to make excuses for him. I doubt you'd be doing so if he signed with the sharks

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

He asked not to be traded. He didn't say he was going to stay.

The Islanders could have traded him if management felt it was the right move for the team, which it would have been. They decided to keep him and roll the dice, without a contract in place.

That's mismanagement.

So again, is Tavares the scum of the earth like Isles fans are making him out to be? Or was this just another example of many of mismanagement by the Islanders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad