Weekes: [TOR] G Joseph Woll to sign extension 7/1 (3 years, $3.5-4M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Love it. Yes injuries are a concern no doubt but this dude is still young and a stud. Can easily be our #1 moving forward. He's shown that when healthy

Lot of of his injuries have been just unlucky. Here's hoping he stays healthy

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
That's good to hear. He's shown he's a more than capable goalie, just needs to stay healthy and get to 50ish games and this contract will be more than fair. Certainly better than most of the shit goalies this team has spent money on lately

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
i like the player but that cap hit is higher than i thought it would be.
Extension won't kick in for over a year. Theres a legitimate scenario where Woll starts 50 games this year and does well, in which case he'd be worth way more.

On the other hand, he could be poor or injured, but that's less likely.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Both sides hedging their bets by signing early after such a small sample size.

Leafs concerned if he stays healthy and plays well, especially with the rising cap, that he'd cost ~4.5-5M+. Woll concerned if he's injured or inconsistent, that he'd only get ~$1.5-2.5M.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
There’s definitely some risk there with that small sample size. Let’s not forget that he really struggled in his first two years in the AHL, I know that some goalies are late bloomers but it’s rare. There’s potential for that to end up a bad contract and cost an asset to get rid of but I don’t think there’s any options between the pipes that don’t come with risk.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Both sides hedging their bets by signing early after such a small sample size.

Leafs concerned if he stays healthy and plays well, especially with the rising cap, that he'd cost ~4.5-5M+. Woll concerned if he's injured or inconsistent, that he'd only get ~$1.5-2.5M.
Leafs trying to keep the cap hit low and Woll gets guaranteed money.

Reactions: Daeavorn

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Can’t really rag on them for this. Woll has mostly been very good when healthy. Availability is a huge concern but I think unless you have the cap to go all in on one of the better goalies in the league, this is a better move than trading assets for a more veteran mid-tier goalie who is on the hook for longer and more money.

Getting a steady eddy top notch backup has to be a priority though. You can’t move forward with Woll and pair him with guys like Samsonov and Jones. That…would be the mistake.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I love it. Woll is clearly something. Worst case, with a near 100M cap when it kicks in that is the going rate for a backup goalie which he has already proven he is capable of being.

If he finds his potential, that is going to be such a massive boost to their cup chances having their starting goalie that cheap until he is 30. Basically the entire Matthews contract

There’s definitely some risk there with that small sample size. Let’s not forget that he really struggled in his first two years in the AHL, I know that some goalies are late bloomers but it’s rare. There’s potential for that to end up a bad contract and cost an asset to get rid of but I don’t think there’s any options between the pipes that don’t come with risk.

His first two seasons in the AHL? Who gives a crap. He had a .927 his last season there, and followed that up with a .915 NHL sv% and a .933sv% in the playoffs over the last 2 seasons.

Sure not a lot of games, but this is clearly a legit goalie and not someone with 15 good games

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
They don't really have much choice.

While the Leafs' options are indeed limited, I suppose they could have waited to see how he does this season before extending.

I'm a huge Woll fan (both in terms of how much I like him and my own personal size). I think the talent is there but the injuries make this a bit of a gamble.

Not necessarily a full blown criticism, but I admit to being a bit worried.

Of course that works both ways and if he has an absolutely incredible season, they may have saved themselves some long term cash.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad