Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
I disagree. History tells us that for elite players it’s generally the opposite.
And that is why Leafs management (wanting 8 years) pushed for a longer deal and Matthews and his agent (originally wanting 3 years) pushed for a shorter deal.
With the cap going up in 5 years he will get a long term rich deal after this one expires. The only real risk for him is injury or decline in play but as an elite player the decline in play is much less of a risk.
Define elite, Does it include players like Karlsson, Price, Tavares, Doughty, Toews, Kopitar?
I would definietly prefer for my team to not commit for players in 32+ range
Also only injury/decline risk is pretty funny statement. Whole point is to avoid commiting to declining players.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Would love to see what the armchair GMs in this thread would've done.

Not sign him? Like Jesus, hes a top player who wants to stick around. Maybe 8 years would've been better but they're still keeping him for another 4 years on top of this year. Its not like he signed a 2 year deal.
Put a gun to his head and make him sign for 8 years obviously :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Voight

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He does, but @Hockey Outsider has a good breakdown of how Matthews pays as little as possible in taxes due to having Arizona as his primary residence.

Except
It’s not nearly as easy as that. It has been covered ad nauseum by NHL players agents GMs accountants and media.

You can’t just declare arizona as your primary residence. And living there (us) 183 days a year is t enough. You have to demonstrate greater financial ties to the us
Than Canada

That includes sponsorships property leasing/owning kids in school etc.

And then you are just avoiding double taxes. Have to lock your money up in an rca which just DEFERS your taxes until you take it out (still pay) and have to move to a tax friendly place and take it out in drips.

Say he has it in an rca and bieber wants him to invest in some company. He will get taxed Canadian money when he takes it out. He doesn’t just not pay taxes. He defers his taxes temporarily and has a lower standard of living in limited environments to try to save taxes at a later date

Also. They can still go aftet
You any time in the future for owed money.

Look at Bautista. He has been gone for what 8 years? The government is going after him NOW for their money. For playing for the blue jays in like 2015

Canada is a high tax country. The government is getting there money one way or another.

People can write fancy articles all they want. Just like nutritionists can claim they can have a diet that out performs steroids.

“Natural bodybuilding works with my system”.
It’s just not reality.

Reactions: TS Quint

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Define elite, Does it include players like Karlsson, Price, Tavares, Doughty, Toews, Kopitar?
I would definietly prefer for my team to not commit for players in 32+ range
Also only injury/decline risk is pretty funny statement. Whole point is to avoid commiting to declining players.
Thanks for proving my point.
The Hawks won a cup in part because the long term deals to Toews and Kane drove down their cap hit. Kopitar at $10 million is still a point per game player in the Selke discussion after winning two Selkes under his contract (in fact he just signed an extension for $7 million per two years and probably could have got more on the open market) and Karlsson just won the Norris.
I’ll give you Price and Tavares though.
On Tavares, I would never go long term on a player with poor skating. That’s a recipe for disaster.
And those are just the deals you think are poor. I’d bet that all of McDavid, Draisaitl and McKinnon are all elite into their mid 30’s just like Crosby is. Patrice Bergeron won a Selke at age 37. Victor Hedman will be 34 when his contract is up and his team won 2 Cups under it.
Where teams generally run into trouble is giving long term deals to goalies as injuries are much more common as they age. See Price, Luongo and even Bob.

Last edited:

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Except
It’s not nearly as easy as that. It has been covered ad nauseum by NHL players agents GMs accountants and media.

You can’t just declare arizona as your primary residence. And living there (us) 183 days a year is t enough. You have to demonstrate greater financial ties to the us
Than Canada

That includes sponsorships property leasing/owning kids in school etc.

And then you are just avoiding double taxes. Have to lock your money up in an rca which just DEFERS your taxes until you take it out (still pay) and have to move to a tax friendly place and take it out in drips.

Say he has it in an rca and bieber wants him to invest in some company. He will get taxed Canadian money when he takes it out. He doesn’t just not pay taxes. He defers his taxes temporarily and has a lower standard of living in limited environments to try to save taxes at a later date

Also. They can still go aftet
You any time in the future for owed money.

Look at Bautista. He has been gone for what 8 years? The government is going after him NOW for their money. For playing for the blue jays in like 2015

Canada is a high tax country. The government is getting there money one way or another.

People can write fancy articles all they want. Just like nutritionists can claim they can have a diet that out performs steroids.

“Natural bodybuilding works with my system”.
It’s just not reality.
This is wrong and it doesnt take much effort to find the correct information. He's not a Canadian resident and RCA has nothing to do with it. Use google

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
How do you avoid the pace argument when Matthews scored 41 goals in a 56 game season?

And 47 goals in a 70 game season.

The NHL missed approx 38 games due to covid shortened seasons.

Seriously? How do you avoid that? The only way to make sure that accomplishment is understood in the stats is to use pace.

It makes no sense to say Matthews has averaged 43 goals ‘per season’ when everyone compares and contrasts that to an 82 game season.

Matthews has missed some games due to injury, of course. But that’s not why pace is a better metric here.

If you pro-rate the shortened seasons only, and don’t touch the other 5 years of his career, what does that do to his average?

Better yet, who has scored the most goals in the NHL since matthews came into the league? Well, that would be Matthews.

So the misleading stat here is the ‘43 goals per season’ average number. Due to covid shortened seasons.

The non-misleading way to describe Matthews is that he is the best goal scorer in the NHL.

Better than McDavid
Better than Draisaitl
Better than Ovechkin
Better than Mackinnon
Better than Pasternak
Better than Crosby
Better than anyone

(Pssst …. He also crushes the entire league in 5v5 goals over the past few seasons too. By like 20%)

PLAYOFFS.

AM doesn't do enough in the playoffs to help himself (and his team) get on this list - Active NHL Players - Playoff Points per Game Leaders

Reactions: mkatcherin00

LPHabsFan

Jul 14, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The AAV is what it is. We know McDavid took less money than was actually being offered and that's his prerogative. We also know that with the cap going up, he'd probably sign for more if his contract was up this year. Another factor that plays into depending on how the negotiations go is place in that particular market. He is the best and biggest name playing for the team that makes the most money in the NHL. He has leverage that way that other players don't necessarily have.

Most rational people who have issues with this contract are because of the length. You're going to get paid the most money in the NHL, and you're not going to offer the team the type of security that other similar players who got similar contracts gave the team.

So here's the question though that I've been asking. If this is what it took to get him to sign for just 4 years, what was he asking for on an 8 year deal that would give the team that type of security?

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
The contract itself is perfectly fine value wise. The problem is the optics of having your franchise player sign for only 4 years with a focus on maximizing his earning potential and not giving an inch to a club that has basically bent over backwards for him since being drafted.

Reactions: mkatcherin00

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
What people are not realizing, according to Chris Johnston, is that Matthews wanted a 3 year deal and the Leafs wanted a 5 year deal. Rather than the cap hit going down as term increased, it sounded like the cap hit increased as years increased.

Given Matthew's injury history and lack of playoff performance, I am fine with 4 years (5 including next year). For his next deal, when he is no longer in his prime, let another team over pay for his crap playoff performance on a long term deal.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
Judging by what was said on here a month or so ago, I assume Leaf fans are gonna be LIVID
Nope! We have him for five more years, the most productive of his career. I'm also very happy that hf is having a hard time coping. Everyone said he was leaving, in fact they all said he was bad out one side of the mouth and also said, prayed he was leaving out the other side...

bwahahah *dx chops hf*

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The AAV is what it is. We know McDavid took less money than was actually being offered and that's his prerogative. We also know that with the cap going up, he'd probably sign for more if his contract was up this year. Another factor that plays into depending on how the negotiations go is place in that particular market. He is the best and biggest name playing for the team that makes the most money in the NHL. He has leverage that way that other players don't necessarily have.

Most rational people who have issues with this contract are because of the length. You're going to get paid the most money in the NHL, and you're not going to offer the team the type of security that other similar players who got similar contracts gave the team.

So here's the question though that I've been asking. If this is what it took to get him to sign for just 4 years, what was he asking for on an 8 year deal that would give the team that type of security?
It doesn't sound like he had any interest in 8 years. Why that is, only he knows.
Most are happy with the 5 years they now have with him going forward.

Nope! We have him for five more years, the most productive of his career. I'm also very happy that hf is having a hard time coping. Everyone said he was leaving, in fact they all said he was bad out one side of the mouth and also said, prayed he was leaving out the other side...

bwahahah *dx chops hf*
This place definately doesn't cope well for anything positive coming out of Toronto.
The envy is a bad but hilarious look.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
Oh boy, can't wait to see all of the Leafs fans turn on Treliving for losing the negotiation with Matthews like they did with Dubas.
I'm sure there will be a few dumb ass leaf fans but it's always been the mains who for some reason who bring up leafs contracts.
And you guys will be doing the same when McDavid chooses not to go to Toronto in a few years.
Nope, we'll be too busy eating popcorn watching the edm board because he's def going somewhere else, anywhere else

All this thread really says is how under rated Matthews is on HF. People really hate he is a Leaf.
ding ding ding, that's a bingo!!!!

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
I'm sure there will be a few dumb ass leaf fans but it's always been the mains who for some reason who bring up leafs contracts.

Nope, we'll be too busy eating popcorn watching the edm board because he's def going somewhere else, anywhere else

ding ding ding, that's a bingo!!!!
You'll be a ghost the week he resigns in Edmonton, as will a lot of Leafs fans on here.

Don't worry, we'll keep receipts

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Thanks for proving my point.
The Hawks won a cup in part because the long term deals to Toews and Kane drove down their cap hit. Kopitar at $10 million is still a point per game player in the Selke discussion after winning two Selkes under his contract (in fact he just signed an extension for $7 million per two years and probably could have got more on the open market) and Karlsson just won the Norris.
I’ll give you Price and Tavares though.
On Tavares, I would never go long term on a player with poor skating. That’s a recipe for disaster.
And those are just the deals you think are poor. I’d bet that all of McDavid, Draisaitl and McKinnon are all elite into their mid 30’s just like Crosby is. Patrice Bergeron won a Selke at age 37. Victor Hedman will be 34 when his contract is up and his team won 2 Cups under it.
Where teams generally run into trouble is giving long term deals to goalies as injuries are much more common as they age. See Price, Luongo and even Bob.
That is quite of rewriting history. Chicago won all cups before Kane/Toews contracts kicked in and since then they won 0 rounds(i think). Karlsson had one great season in 5 years with Sharks, Kopitar probably had one season worthy of 10m and it was 6years ago, Hedman just turned 32 and had pretty bad season, let see how it looks going forward.

Obviously there are opposite examples like Bergeron, Crosby, Ovi, but i would say at best it is 50/50 even for elite players.
There is reason most UFA push for max term. Matthews is exception and i assume it is beacuse of combination of expected increase in Salary Cap and him wanting to go to US for his final contract.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
Does Matthews not care about the cup?

That's basically what you're implying
No, the money isn't the issue. The issue for mcd is he's surrounded by dog shit. Aside from the guy he turned into a hart Winner it's pretty thin...

Matthews contract is fine from a cap percentage point of view. Mcd is stuck in the mud hauling an 18 wheeler of dogshit up a frozen hill... Its admirable but useless. He's gotta get out of there like yesterday

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010

bwahahah *dx chops hf*
IMG_1748.gif
IMG_3797.gif
IMG_3796.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad