Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
It's honestly such a stupid contract. As great as Matthews is, if I'm a GM unless your name is McDavid there's 0 chance you get that money. I would rather have 2 elite players than 1 superstar. It's crazy to think that NJ has their young center duo in Hughes/Hischier for only a million more than Matthew's contract. As a GM would you rather have both Hughes & Hischier or 1 Austin Matthews?
There's no choice, you can't walk from it. Honestly, folks, you can't walk from that contract over some.. principle..(?). Those are different situations for different teams. Who would honestly walk from AM at 13.25 for 4? And I mean someone will say me, but that's not real. It's not.

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
Matthews was nowhere close to top 10 in PPG and Mackinnon never missed more than 17 games in single season. Makar was still 2nd i PPG amond D in his down season.
Sorry, should have been goals per game gpg, and you’re right. He’s tied for 12. In a down year, where he was clearly injured. Horrible though, right?

• Haha
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Winning a Stanley Cup with your hometown team should take priority over taxes. I'm fully aware AM isn't from TO, but MM pulls the same routine as AM. I feel like the locker room has a "f*ck you, pay me" attitude, the opposite of a winning culture.
I think cap culture exists but more so copying positive stuff like your leader taking a discount. They’re not straight up sheep so I won’t assume Marner will try the short term huge money thing, but you can’t fault him for going big money long term ie normal star route. At least there’s be the cap “savings” on the back half and a long deal would last through his prime without any of the declining years

Nylander will likely leave over money unless they trade Marner first, but honestly I wouldn’t fault him at all. He already drew the short straw the first time around while the other guys got their UFA money right after their ELC.

Putting myself in his shoes, after that and then seeing Matthews and (if) Marner going for big money yet again, “why should I take the discount?” You can’t ask other stars and depth to take discounts if the highest paid guys won’t.

If it’s true the team is trying to get Nylander around 9 mil then he is a saint if he takes that. On principle and because he could easily get at least $10+ mil as a UFA without a freaking doubt

Last edited:

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Sorry, should have been goals per game gpg, and you’re right. He’s tied for 12. In a down year, where he was clearly injured. Horrible though, right?

He was 17th, i would say around 3.6 roentgen. If he returns to previous year from im sure he will be back into debate for best player behind McDavid. Some playoff improvement would also help since all his main opponents have a lot of success there.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Matthews has a down season that is still stellar and top 10 in ppg, and he’s a leper. Mackinnon misses half the season and no one says anything. Makar down season and somehow still a top 3 player.

The logic on these boards with the Leaf hate is bordering on the insane.
MacKinnon missed a ton of games (3 more than Matthews) and still outscored Matthews in goals, and points by a good margin. He had the third best ppg of the top 10 scorers (Drai at 1.6, MacK at 1.563). Not sure why you’re comparing discussion around him to discussion of Matthews, even if I agree some people are overreacting to what’s probably just a down year by Matthews

Also Makar was legit a top 3 defenseman at least, in terms of quality of his play when he could actually play. Dude was injured but quite possibly wins the Norris or at least loses a tight race if he played 82 games. The fact he got as many votes as he did despite missing so many games wasn’t from nothing, he was a huge part of keeping his AHL team in the playoff race those rough weeks.
Matthews was nowhere close to top 10 in PPG and Mackinnon never missed more than 17 games in single season. Makar was still 2nd i PPG amond D in his down season.

Makar didn’t even really have much of a down season lol. His ppg was basically where it was the previous year and he’s much better defensively than some people who mostly watch highlights and score watch credit him for. Dude just couldn’t get healthy.

He had a slow start and that’s when the “down season” narrative started and even then he was generating chances at a higher rate than his team was finishing.

It’s not really the same thing as Matthews having a down year, though I agree with idea people are unfairly trashing the cap hit in here.

Matthews is absolutely worth 13 mil if we’re assuming last year was injury affected, it’s just from a team management perspective you don’t want to give that money on short term deal. But that’s just talking ideal; players of Matthews caliber to get basically the same cap % Matthews got so on a year by year basis it’s not awful if he recovers his form.

The cap hit in a vacuum probably isn’t bad unless his injury issue is much worse than realized, it depends on how the GM approaches the stars contracts collectively.

Last edited:
Reactions: authentic

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
If I was a leaf fan I'd be ecstatic to have Matthews for 5 years.
Comparing what I get is troublesome to guys like Pastrnak and MacKinnon.

pomx

May 15, 2014
This is a great contract for the Leafs. They now have their superstar locked up for the next five years of his prime. Odds look pretty darned good that group wins at least 1 Cup during that time too with AM leading the charge.,
Yeah the AM who is a no show in playoffs will lead the charge to first round exits

Reactions: Laus723

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
At 2 years younger I would say he absolutely is and being a Center definitely jusjustifiable
Pasternak is 1 year older.

I hope I didn’t hurt your feelings by calling it a good deal, bert. :laugh:

We know you’re a really big Leafs fan. You’re in every thread. #LeafsForever
Predictable response that made no sense with nothing to back up the post you quoted. Great job!

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What are you laughing at? He literally is the best goal scorer of the last 7 years. His gpg % is on par with Ovechkin. So what exactly doesn’t make him generational?
He's not a generational player not even close. Generational players come along once a generation. He isn't even currently top 5. You can make a debate that he is but its a debate. That's not generational.

There are 2 currently in the league Crosby and McDavid. It happens roughly once every 10 years.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
He's not a generational player not even close. Generational players come along once a generation. He isn't even currently top 5. You can make a debate that he is but its a debate. That's not generational.

There are 2 currently in the league Crosby and McDavid. It happens roughly once every 10 years.
You sure spend a lot of time talking about Auston Matthews. One might think you actually like him or something.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Sure, but are they worth their prime salaries?

Not to mention Matthews has missed a lot of time with back and wrist issues. I don't remember Ovechkin ever missing that much time with similar injuries.
Kopitar was considered made of glass early on in his career, then didn't have any major injuries again. We can't think about certain players like "they might get inured". They might not get injured either. His salary will be very manageable next season when the cap goes up.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Part of what has led to Ovechkin having as successful career as he's had is other-worldly durability. Dude has never had a major injury in his career and has barely missed any games due to injury.

Not saying Matthews can't have career longevity, but that kind of durability is rare in hockey. Pretty sure Matthews has already missed more games due to injury than Ovechkin.
True, Ovi is a beast. But again, we can't judge a player on if he will get injured again.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Big AAV but the cap is going to grow and taxes are high in Toronto. It's the cost of doing business when you have a top 5 player in the game. He's getting about 14-15% of the cap once it grows for 24/25. I'm expecting the cap to be around the $88M-$90M range.

The only issue with the 4 year term is once it's up, he's going to keep asking for 14-15% of the cap and by then, we are in the $90-$100M range. Never going to be any value contract that is for sure.

Last time the Leafs signed Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, they expected the cap to grow as well but then Covid came around and derailed inflation. Does something else come around this time? We will see but make no mistake, if this team improves around their core, they will need the cap to grow to do it.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Silver lining to mtl. Can’t give out big money, when no one deserves it.
Can't say you're wrong.

Chirps aside, do you think Tavares, Marner and Matthews all deserved 11M+ in their last contract, knowing what you know today ?

And back to Matthews, I called him Auston "Money" Matthews because it seems money his is first priority.

- Chooses to play his junior years in Switzerland (Smart, but money first move)

- Plays hardball with the Leafs for his RFA deal.

- Plays hardball again to make sure he signs for top dollar and at his terms.

I mean I respect the strategy, it's good for himself and uses his leverage. But usually the very best choose to get a little less in order to have a better team around them. It sucks for the Leafs IMO.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

genk

Nov 15, 2015
Last time the Leafs signed Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, they expected the cap to grow as well but then Covid came around and derailed inflation. Does something else come around this time? We will see but make no mistake, if this team improves around their core, they will need the cap to grow to do it.

If the cap stagnates again then the NHL might as well give up on trying to be considered a professional league.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
lol the whole “well this deal is actually good for the leafs” copium in the first pages is hilarious

LaCarriere

Contract seems backwards to me.

The leafs are giving him the opportunity to resign anywhere in the latter part of what should be his prime at age 30. Just for that Matthews should be leaving some money on the table, not becoming the highest paid player. The cap could be 15-20% or more in 5 years, and they are allowing him to benefit from that projected growth, instead of expecting him to commit longer term.

That being said the big 4 have been taking the Leafs to the cleaners for years now, so I'm not all that surprised that Matthews got both a favorable mid term bridge contract and AAV.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
It's honestly such a stupid contract. As great as Matthews is, if I'm a GM unless your name is McDavid there's 0 chance you get that money. I would rather have 2 elite players than 1 superstar. It's crazy to think that NJ has their young center duo in Hughes/Hischier for only a million more than Matthew's contract. As a GM would you rather have both Hughes & Hischier or 1 Austin Matthews?

I'm with ya. Not sure if it's a stupid contract but I would rather be in NJ's situation, by far. Not only will they have more money to put talent around them, but they'll also face less criticism over their contracts. I think that's something people overlook. Media pressure has to have an effect on the players, the team, and the fans.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Can't say you're wrong.

Chirps aside, do you think Tavares, Marner and Matthews all deserved 11M+ in their last contract, knowing what you know today ?

And back to Matthews, I called him Auston "Money" Matthews because it seems money his is first priority.

I mean I respect the strategy, it's good for himself and uses his leverage. But usually the very best choose to get a little less in order to have a better team around them. It sucks for the Leafs IMO.
Fair. Damn it. Haha.

Reactions: HabsQC

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Lol looking at a season when Matthews was clearly injured. Now do the last 4 years. Or 5, or 6, or 7…

Literally the best gpg avg of the last 30 years in the first 7 years of a career. What the hell are you even talking about?
A lot of players play injured, you Leafs fans act as if Matthews was the only player last season that was battling something

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Can't say you're wrong.

He's definitely money first but I see some things I disagree with here.

He definitely deserved the cap hit he got. He showed pretty significant improvement each year, he was a top tier goalscorer from day one. He was as advertised. No question he met the expected value of that new contract, winning plenty of hardware along the way.

The move to Switzerland likely had a lot to do with money, but it was also a significant step up in competition that likely secured his spot as the first pick.

Money is clearly his top priority. I don't love that, but I can't blame him and if he's not worth top dollar in this league I don't know who is.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Five years from now I guarantee that the same posters arguing this is a great deal will be cheering the loudest about Matthews next 8 year expensive deal with the Leafs. Be prepared to be inundated with posts about Ovechkin and Crosby being productive well past age 35. Lol.
“It was a discount because Friedman said the Sharks offered more!”

His next contract will be for 8 years and the same % of the cap.

I’ve always said Matthews will never leave Toronto. They overpay him and he doesn’t have to take any responsibility for his play or his contracts that handcuff the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad