Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I'm sorry I didn't realize you were here arguing for 20 pages, I had other things to do. Sorry I wasn't able to read all 60 pages for your response.

Okay, 15-16M over what term?

Would you like me to quote all the replies you made to me 20 pages ago, as you pretend to be Mr. Important with huge bigly things to do? :laugh:

$15M - $16M accounts for the term. Feel free to scale in that range depending on it. :thumbu:

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Would you like me to quote all the replies you made to me 20 pages ago, as you pretend to be Mr. Important with huge bigly things to do? :laugh:

$15M - $16M accounts for the term. Feel free to scale in that range depending on it. :thumbu:
Never in my life have I seen "neutral fans" this dedicated to a thread of a team that they swear they don't care about :laugh:

I disagree.

I think he get's in the 11-12M range if he declines at the same rate as other superstars did after 30.
Haven't you figured it out yet!? Matthews at 34 >>> Matthews at 25

You'd be a fool not to realize that.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

Yeah post all my replies and the timestamps too. I literally am on a different computer at a different location than when I first posted in this thread today - so I don't know what you want me to say.

If it's 15-16M, it's going to be a 1 year contract at most. Which I don't think he wants - but I also don't think he get's 15-16M.

Obviously you feel Matthews is a 15-16M dollar player - doesn't that mean 13.25M is a good contract - what exactly are you arguing?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Never in my life have I seen "neutral fans" this dedicated to a thread of a team that they swear they don't care about :laugh:

Haven't you figured it out yet!? Matthews at 34 >>> Matthews at 25

You'd be a fool not to realize that.
You should probably talk to your buddy @Bohemian Waxwing about his Yzerman thread.

Also, Matthews wont be signing at 34, he'll be signing at 30. Not sure why Leaf fans keep talking about his value at 34.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
You should probably talk to your buddy @Bohemian Waxwing about his Yzerman thread.

Also, Matthews wont be signing at 34, he'll be signing at 30. Not sure why Leaf fans keep talking about his value at 34.
Probably because the contract you and all the other "neutral fans" are suggesting is a 8 year deal, that would end when he's 34, and he's currently 25 signed until 30.

Crazy that you guys believe Matthews will still be this elite 60 goal scorer worth $13.25M at that age, maybe you're right. Might end up being a better goal scorer than Ovechkin.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Yeah post all my replies and the timestamps too. I literally am on a different computer at a different location than when I first posted in this thread today - so I don't know what you want me to say.

If it's 15-16M, it's going to be a 1 year contract at most. Which I don't think he wants - but I also don't think he get's 15-16M.

Obviously you feel Matthews is a 15-16M dollar player - doesn't that mean 13.25M is a good contract - what exactly are you arguing?
You literally posted on the thread on the same page, less than 20 minutes after I said that.

But "I was too busy with bigly important things to do" is a bold statement from a guy who has posted 100 times now in this thread. :laugh:

Obviously you feel Matthews will be a $11M - $12M player in 4 years when the cap is $100M+. Does that mean he's not worth $13.25M now? What exactly are you arguing?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Probably because the contract you and all the other "neutral fans" are suggesting is a 8 year deal, that would end when he's 34, and he's currently 25 signed until 30.

Crazy that you guys believe Matthews will still be this elite 60 goal scorer worth $13.25M at that age, maybe you're right. Might end up being a better goal scorer than Ovechkin.
Crazy that you guys argue that the 4 year term is a must because the Leafs have to give Matthews whatever he wants rather than let him walk... But also claim that in 4 years they're going to be tough negotiators and insist that he takes a pay cut despite a 25% cap raise.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
There's no way he gets 14M for 7-8 years until 38 or 39. If he does, I hope it's not the Leafs paying him. At that age the Leafs are probably rebuilding anyway because Matthews is the youngest player in their core... unless they strike gold on the lottery or draft for a couple years.
Why not? 14M isn't the same 5 years from now when the cap goes up.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You literally posted on the thread on the same page, less than 20 minutes after I said that.

But "I was too busy with bigly important things to do" is a bold statement from a guy who has posted 100 times now in this thread. :laugh:

Obviously you feel Matthews will be a $11M - $12M player in 4 years when the cap is $100M+. Does that mean he's not worth $13.25M now? What exactly are you arguing?

I didn't come back and read all the pages I missed. I don't know if you assume I read all 60 pages - I didn't and I am not going to.

I didn't know "I had other things to do" was so offensive. I'm sorry that is offensive to you. I didn't mean to take a shot at your life, I just literally had other things to do. :laugh: I drove for over an hour in the time you were debating - so I must have missed it.

I'm arguing it's a good contract because Matthews is worth 13.25M today. You're arguing it's a bad contract because Matthews is a 15M-16M dollar player. It makes no sense. It's a good contract if Matthews is a 15-16M dollar player.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I didn't come back and read all the pages I missed. I don't know if you assume I read all 60 pages - I didn't and I am not going to.

I didn't know "I had other things to do" was so offensive. I'm sorry that is offensive to you. I didn't mean to take a shot at your life, I just literally had other things to do. :laugh: I drove for over an hour in the time you were debating - so I must have missed it.

I'm arguing it's a good contract because Matthews is worth 13.25M today. You're arguing it's a bad contract because Matthews is a 15M-16M dollar player. It makes no sense. It's a good contract if Matthews is a 15-16M dollar player.
It. Was. Literally. On. The. Same. Page.

By the way, I wasn't offended by it. I was laughing at you pretending you're not engrossed in this thread as you've replied 100+ times to it. :laugh:

Also, tell me where I said that Matthews is currently a $15M - $16M player. Quote that, please.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Why not? 14M isn't the same 5 years from now when the cap goes up.

Because when players get older, they don't get the same cap percentage as they do in their prime, no player has.

Not even Crosby didn't get the same cap percentage on his last deal, and he signed a 12 year deal.

So even if the cap goes up, Matthews can still earn less. You're assuming the cap goes up AND his cap hit goes up - which hasn't happened yet as far as I know.

It. Was. Literally. On. The. Same. Page.

By the way, I wasn't offended by it. I was laughing at you pretending you're not engrossed in this thread as you've replied 100+ times to it. :laugh:

Also, tell me where I said that Matthews is currently a $15M - $16M player. Quote that, please.

You said Matthews is going to make 15M-16M in 5 years. So are you saying Matthews is going to be a better player at 31 than he is today? If not, then he's absolutely a 15M-16M player today as well.

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Crazy that you guys argue that the 4 year term is a must because the Leafs have to give Matthews whatever he wants rather than let him walk... But also claim that in 4 years they're going to be tough negotiators and insist that he takes a pay cut despite a 25% cap raise.
Five years from now I guarantee that the same posters arguing this is a great deal will be cheering the loudest about Matthews next 8 year expensive deal with the Leafs. Be prepared to be inundated with posts about Ovechkin and Crosby being productive well past age 35. Lol.

Reactions: PainForShane

BillPrep

Jun 2, 2016
Because when players get older, they don't get the same cap percentage as they do in their prime, no player has.

Not even Crosby got the same cap percentage on his last deal, and he signed a 12 year deal.

So even if the cap goes up, Matthews can still earn less. You're assuming the cap goes up AND his cap hit goes up - which hasn't happened yet as far as I know.
if Crosby was the kind of selfish asshole some other players are he could've gotten it, or anything he asked for...he ain't, they are...

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Why would that concern anyone he's right lots can change in 3 years

It's not that it's not true - it's that why would you even say that to something 3 years away.

Even Tavares said I love it here and want to stay here in New York before he left - why say 3 years ahead of time - who knows what happens?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
if Crosby was the kind of selfish asshole some other players are he could've gotten it, or anything he asked for...he ain't, they are...

Name the other selfish players so I can look at their contracts for reference.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Is the cap going to be $83.5M in 5 years?

Jesus Christ dude this is embarrassing at this point. :laugh:

You said the cap would go up 25%, that would still mean a higher cap percentage for Matthews on a 15-16M AAV deal based on your own calculations.

Which makes this a good deal according to you, because he took a lower cap percentage than he's going to take in 5 years. You're now debating your own takes.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
You said the cap would go up 20%, that would still mean a higher cap percentage for Matthews based on your own calculations.

Which makes this a good deal according to you. You're now debating your own takes.
I actually said the cap was going to go up 25%, and even that is probably a low estimation. $15M of a $106.5M cap is just over 14% of the cap. $16M is just over 15%. So no. It's not a higher cap percentage than his new contact.

Keep. On. Swinging.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

15-16M in 5 years could be what 13.25M is today. But instead of getting Matthew for 13.25M in year 6, you have to resign him for that equivalent. Assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff. Not only that, he isn't even worth 13.25M today since Mack who is better is signed for 12.6M.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
15-16M in 5 years could be what 13.25M is today. But instead of getting Matthew for 13.25M in year 6, you have to resign him for that equivalent. Assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff. Not only that, he isn't even worth 13.25M today since Mack who is better is signed for 12.6M.
Essentially unless his play falls off a cliff, say they sign him for $15M/per in 5 years. They will have paid him $14.1M a year for 8 years while MacKinnon was getting $12.6M.

Obviously he took the 4 year deal intending to only get $11M/per on his next one though! :laugh:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
15-16M in 5 years could be what 13.25M is today. But instead of getting Matthew for 13.25M in year 6, you have to resign him for that equivalent. Assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff.

1.) him not falling off a cliff is an assumption. He has had multiple wrist injuries since 2029. His shot was no where near what it was. He was still a great player. But no guarantee he will not decline.

2.) Matthews in his prime has signed for 14-15% of the cap as the leading goal scorer in the NHL.
The cap is speculated to go uo
87.5, 92.5, 96, 100 (can only go up by 5% or something per year).

IF he stays at Auston Matthews current play. He would be looking at 15 million…. Maybe? Probably 14.14.5

If he decides he wants out (karlson) you can’t trade him with big term. Better to trade at 29.

How many 8 year ufa deals worth 14-15% of the cap worked?

Benn? Seguin? Bob? Price? Karlson? Toews?

I can’t think of a good one that wasn’t a now illegal deal like crosby.

At all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad