Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Marner is a stud and Tavares is a ppg guy at his worst. They got 4 forwards who finished in the top 30 for points last year. This isnt an honest debate imo.

Choice:

Option A: Pay Matthews

or

Option B: Dont pay matthews? Let him walk? Trade away your generational face-of-franchise player at age 25?

Id be super happy my team gets a prime Matthews for the next 5 years.

Option B would depend on what the package coming back could have been.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
You don't understand why the rumors 15M x 8 isn't preferred over 13.25x4 given the cap isn't rising by any meaningful amount the next few years to make that palatable, while the Leafs have their biggest cap crunch next season?
No I understand. Which is why I said years ago that the Tavares signing would be a problem but you assured me it wouldn’t.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
No I understand. Which is why I said years ago that the Tavares signing would be a problem but you assured me it wouldn’t.

I mean, flat cap and shit kind of happened so if you did it was by complete fluke.

Besides, Tavares has 2 seasons left. See my comment above, cap problems with the core are a non issue outside of that 1 season

• Haha
Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I mean, flat cap and shit kind of happened so if you did it was by complete fluke.

Besides, Tavares has 2 seasons left. See my comment above, cap problems with the core are a non issue outside of that 1 season
No. I knew and many others stated that the Tavares contract would come back to bite them. If the cap would have risen then Matttews demands would have just increased. The flat cap is a red herring.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017

A lot of TML issues rn is unfortunately do to unforseen circumstances, draw it up like it *should have* gone (no covid etc) and things are different.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
He isnt as good as Mcdavid or Makinnon yet is making way more money than both of them without anywhere close to similar levels of playoff success. If you think this is a good deal for your team and their 1 playoff win in his tenure with the team then have at it. It’s too bad he doesnt think at all like Crosby. If everyone just takes a little bit less then you have a chance to win. He is taking a little bit more, he is overpaid relative to all comparables. Gonna be really hard to win anything with him making this much and whatever Marner and Nylander end up getting here.
crosby signed a 12 year deal 10 years ago. Which would be over 12 million Today. Now factor in that those contracts aren’t allowed anymore, how much do you think he would sign for today? On an 8 year deal.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
A lot of TML issues rn is unfortunately do to unforseen circumstances, draw it up like it *should have* gone (no covid etc) and things are different.

Yup. Leafs sign 40+ million in contracts the season before the league shuts down. Shit happens. But had the cap kept going up, they could have kept guys like Hyman and have more assets as they wouldn't have needed to pay so much for extra cap like with Marleau's deal and for retention

Strangle

May 4, 2009
He has to play 82 games though, which he's done once. Until then, he averages 43 goals a season.

Kind of difficult to do that when there are no games to play though.

You’re playing a really stupid game here.

Matthews - scores 41 goals in a 52 game season

Grim Reaper on HFboards - “Only 41 goals? What a scrub. Should have scored more than that. 41 goals brings his average to 43 per season. He needs to play more games”

What an embarrassment of a take lol

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Marner is a stud and Tavares is a ppg guy at his worst. They got 4 forwards who finished in the top 30 for points last year. This isnt an honest debate imo.

Choice:

Option A: Pay Matthews

or

Option B: Dont pay matthews? Let him walk? Trade away your generational face-of-franchise player at age 25?

Id be super happy my team gets a prime Matthews for the next 5 years.

Calling Tavares a PPG guy at worst is tough considering this past season was his first reaching PPG levels in 4 years.

Also doesn't quite mean much when there are about 40 PPG players... Or when you consider that half of his points came on the PP, and 5 on 5 he's tied for 86th in the league.

Doesn't quite get you close to be deserving of Top 10 highest paid players in the league.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Shouldn't you be worrying about McDavid re-signing instead of the how overpaid the Leafs stars are (who signed with the team)?

Who are you even talking to?

No, I’m not worried, already signed McDavid long term once (when Leafs fans like yourself said he wouldn’t sign, or play for Edmonton). And unlike your inferior player, he’ll be signed long term.

You’re acting like some gotcha thing when it’s not relevant to the topic of Auston Matthews shitty contract lol. Just classic deflection.

And of course you make a shitty thread that was quickly shut down.

Massive L.

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyVirus

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Matthews is 7 years into his career and you still need to use pace to justify his production. At what point do you just have to admit production is production and the goals you don’t score because you are constantly injured don’t count.

41 goals in a 52 game shortened season is why traditional stat keeping is skewed.

to be able to properly put across how amazing of a goal scoring season that was, you don’t just get to say ‘he had a 41 goal season’. Because that’s misleading, he had 41 goals in a 52 game season.

His missed games aren’t mostly due to injury, they are league shut down games that he missed the most of.

Don’t be disingenuous

This is quite the narrative considering there were multiple reports that the Leafs wanted him to sign for longer...

MacKinnon has 100 points in 77 playoff games and a Stanley Cup. Matthews has 44 points in 50 playoff games and has won one single series.

Also, this entire thing is kind of misleading because we don't know what Matthews will be doing from 31 to 35. He could go UFA to a new team. He could sign a max term deal with the Leafs. Or he could sign a short term deal with the Leafs. If he signs a short term deal with the Leafs, you're probably looking at $15M+...

Hey @Golden_Jet check this out. Another poster saying Matthews next deal at $15m+.

Do you get it yet?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I think we disagree here. I don't think Toews gets 10.5M 4 years into the deal. I also don't think Tavares gets 11M 4 years into his deal. If the Leafs had the option of giving Tavares 11M X 4 or 11 X 7, I think the majority of them would sign up for the 4 years.

They think if Tavares only signed for 4 years when he came to Toronto that he’d be getting paid $15m on this deal by now.

Because they are trolls

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
Shouldn't you be worrying about McDavid re-signing instead of the how overpaid the Leafs stars are (who signed with the team)?

Matthews has enough money to buy the Coyotes and McDavid is going to leave Edmonton

Business is about to pick up

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
crosby signed a 12 year deal 10 years ago. Which would be over 12 million Today. Now factor in that those contracts aren’t allowed anymore, how much do you think he would sign for today? On an 8 year deal.
Considering Crosby's obsession with the number 87, why would you assume it would change much? There's a reason both of his post ELC contracts average out to $8.7 million per year or did you think that was just a weird coincidence?

At most, Crosby would have opted for an $87 million contract over 8 years, for an AAV of 10.875 million per year so he could maintain some weird tie to the number 87.

Reactions: shortfuze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad