Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
In case you missed the news, Treliving is now the GM of Toronto. Dubas is in Pittsburgh.

You're forgetting about the one guy who's still there who's seemingly very committed to keeping all these guys together... he happens to be the guy in charge...

Unless I missed a big trade, the Leafs' three highest-paid players next year will still be forwards...

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
You're forgetting about the one guy who's still there who's seemingly very committed to keeping all these guys together... the guy in charge...
If Shanahan just wanted a puppet there were a lot of cheaper options than Treliving, he obviously has an input here.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He's bringing everyone back (Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander), no?
Also added Bertuzzi/Domi that are going to change the look of the team as well. Still a strong possibility Nylander gets moved for help on the blue line, or maybe walks as a UFA.

But point being Treliving historically likes big physical players and guys that play with an edge, he's added 3 guys to this roster that fit the description already. He clearly has an input here.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
honestly dont want him past 31 anyways. Keeps the fire in his belly working for the next contract - my mental gymnastics have turned this into a win for the leafs.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Ovie's was higher. They were both of their elc at the same point and Ovie had the higher aav on his deal.
I think one of them signed earlier than the other so Crosby could have been highest for a bit before contracts kicked in . But they both got more than McDavids percentage anyways

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It absolutely did just happen! Also... That $10M player was the highest paid on his team. On the Leafs he'd be 4th. :laugh:

Keep digging that hole, bud!

You’re right. We should just keep moving the goalposts. Now that a 10M player won the cup, let’s make it 11M.

An 11M dollar player can never win the Cup. Let’s write off the Leafs, Oilers and Colorado.

Or.. let’s be even more strict and make it 10.1M :laugh:

When salaries rise again, we’ll make it 12M, then 13M, then 14M - am I doing this right?

It’s a solid never-ending argument because it doesn’t account for inflation or a rising cap. Inevitable future players will make more than past players and if we keep raising the bar, you can’t use previous examples even if they made more at the time.

Reactions: AvroArrow

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Find me a star player over 30 who got paid more than his UFA deal in his 20’s.

You think Matthews and his agent have a crystal ball?

Well, there hasn’t been a UFA in his 20s take a short term deal to his age 31 season. So they haven’t gotten paid more or less, the example doesn’t exist! This will be a new situation, who knows either way what will happen in five years with AM

(And I’m talking about the modern NHL. I think you’ll find plenty of examples both ways if you go back 15 years )

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
You’re right. We should just keep moving the goalposts. Now that a 10M player won the cup, let’s make it 11M.

An 11M dollar player can never win the Cup. Let’s write off the Leafs, Oilers and Colorado.

When salaries rise again, we’ll make it 12M, then 13M, then 14M - am I doing this right?
You really like using the phrase, "Moving the goalposts" when you make terrible points that easily get knocked down.

I dunno what to tell ya my guy. You're taking a victory lap on Vegas winning the Cup with a $10M player like it supports the idea that the Leafs can win with their current cap structure. Vegas' top 5 players averaged $7.9M last year. Toronto's average $9.6M.

Sorry for "Moving the goalposts" again. Some call it using logic and numbers, but we'll go with your terminology to make you feel better!

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Well, there hasn’t been a UFA in his 20s take a short term deal to his age 31 season. So they haven’t gotten paid more or less, the example doesn’t exist! This will be a new situation, who knows either way what will happen in five years with AM

(And I’m talking about the modern NHL. I think you’ll find plenty of examples both ways if you go back 15 years )

Exactly, so the people arguing it’s a great deal for Matthews and bad for the Leafs could be wrong. No one knows.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Also added Bertuzzi/Domi that are going to change the look of the team as well. Still a strong possibility Nylander gets moved for help on the blue line, or maybe walks as a UFA.

But point being Treliving historically likes big physical players and guys that play with an edge, he's added 3 guys to this roster that fit the description already. He clearly has an input here.

Bertuzzi fits the description.

Domi and Klingberg are the opposite of physical.

Reaves won't dress in the playoffs.

No doubt Treliving has a lot of input. But would it surprise anyone if a condition of taking the job was "we're not moving on from any of Matthews, Marner, Tavares or Nylander" this summer? After all, Shanahan said as much in a press conference before hiring a GM.

It wouldn't surprise me. On any trade or contract related to those 4, Shanahan will be the one making the final call. That's a given.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You really like using the phrase, "Moving the goalposts" when you make terrible points that easily get knocked down.

I dunno what to tell ya my guy. You're taking a victory lap on Vegas winning the Cup with a $10M player like it supports the idea that the Leafs can win with their current cap structure. Vegas' top 5 players averaged $7.9M last year. Toronto's average $9.6M.

Sorry for "Moving the goalposts" again. Some call it using logic and numbers, but we'll go with your terminology to make you feel better!

So you’re saying it’s impossible for the Leafs to win the Cup. Is that your stance? Or are you just shifting your views to argue endlessly?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
MacKinnon has a crazy goal differential at ES (assuming it was the cup run).

Kucherov is also good.

McDavid and Draisaitl are both worse than Matthews, they put up points but get scored on a lot.

Most of the value for McDavid/Drai comes from the PP, they aren't really anything special outside of that, the game is not tilted much in their favor.

Putting up tons of points is useless when you are being scored on a lot.
LOL. See below.

I'm sure that Matthews is getting all that money because he's a defensive stalwart.
Over the last 3 playoffs:

McDavid has +12 goal differential at ES. He's put up 34 even-strength pts in 32 games.
Draisaitl has +1 goal differential at ES. He's put up 35 even-strength pts in 32 games.
Mathews has +4 goal differential at ES. He's put up 17 even-strength pts in 25 games.

McDavid and Draisaitl have drastically outperformed Matthews in the playoffs. They can make the case that they've been let down by poor goaltending.

Matthews cannot make that case. To this point, he and Marner have been the ones who've let the rest of their team down.
:thumbu:

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
It depends on whether or not he wants to squeeze every last nickel (ok, million) out of EDM, the success of the team as a whole, how they are treating him, and whether he feels McD is also going to re-sign.

Either way, he will be an even richer man... he is already doing fine. Not everyone is like Matthews, who wants to squeeze every last dollar out of his team, while refusing to acknowledge that will reduce the ability for his team to sign other significant players.

Mackinnon way outplayed his contract for years, then signed for a large, but not record breaking, long term deal, AFTER winning a Cup.

Bergeron played forever on a contract that underpaid him, but won multiple Cups.

Same with Crosby.

Even if Drai leaves a bit of money on the table, he will still be a very wealthy man once his next deal concludes.

I think you mistyped 60 Million.
I didn't mistype the number but I guess I should have added 4-8 years afterward. In any case, he's going to want quite a lot of money.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
So you’re saying it’s impossible for the Leafs to win the Cup. Is that your stance? Or are you just talking to talk?
Under their current cap build? I'd say this year is the best chance they have because they were able to capitalize on Bertuzzi and Domi not finding long term partners.

But yeah, they're pretty screwed otherwise.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Or.. let’s be even more strict and make it 10.1M :laugh:

It’s a solid never-ending argument because it doesn’t account for inflation or a rising cap. Inevitable future players will make more than past players and if we keep raising the bar, you can’t use previous examples even if they made more at the time.
I don't think the other numbers will matter till 15 or 20 . Humans are so arbitrary in the importance of certain numbers lol why 19.99 looks better than 20 flat

If matthews signed for 8 I think it would be fine and less people would be dunking on the Leafs but he had no reason to sign with them so I think it's a win for them .

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Under their current cap build? I'd say this year is the best chance they have because they were able to capitalize on Bertuzzi and Domi not finding long term partners.

But yeah, they're pretty screwed otherwise.

Until the cap rises, it happens all the time. Crosby did it though, so we already know it’s possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad