Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Pastrnak won the Rocket in 19/20.

Last 4 seasons:

Pastrnak: 169 goals, 333 points in 272 games (1.22pts/game)
Matthews: 188 goals, 337 points in 269 games (1.25pts/game)

Seems pretty similar.

Oh he did, I forgot that. Must be why he’s even as close as he is to matthews AAV.

Point is, however Matthews has multiple rockets and a hart trophy. So, he has more accolades than pasta, and he’s a better hockey player than pasta.

Not that hard to understand

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
That shiny Hart Trophy from last year says hi. Hopefully he isn’t injured this year so he’s back in the discussion again this season
Hmm he only won because scoring 60 was historic . When McDavid beats him in points yet again he already proved he can score 60 I can't see matthews winning another unless a couple guys are hurt

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I get why people wanted 8 but honestly, at his age I would rather the four. The way the game is changing these 8 year contracts into a players mid 30's are a team issue.

Reactions: Ciao

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
No order necessary but quite easily McDavid, MacKinnon, Makar, Draisaitl, etc.
Mcdavid that's it. With MacKinnon you have arguments but AM is younger.

Draisaitl no way. You put Matthews on the same team as McDavid and you see it open up for him.

And then your throwing defenders in there?

Quit talking yourself around it. He's a top 3 player in the league

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Mcdavid that's it. With MacKinnon you have arguments but AM is younger.

Draisaitl no way. You put Matthews on the same team as McDavid and you see it open up for him.

And then your throwing defenders in there?

Quit talking yourself into it. He's a top 3 player in the league

Plenty of desperate validation of Matthews in this section.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021
How many years till these smart people start talking about him going to Arizona Kings again?

AAV is kinda high tho, MacKinnon and pasta signed wayyy better contacts for team considering Mack is better and pasta might be just as good

Reactions: HairyKneel

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
I thought he was going to Zona, New York, Los Angeles ...

Ohhh nooo here come the AAV kings and queens to complain about the money. Go focus your energy on that min wage job you got
Good luck winning a cup when all your star players refuse to take any sort of discount deals. Look at what Crosby did for Pittsburgh.

• Haha
Reactions: JadedLeaf

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
Oh he did, I forgot that. Must be why he’s even as close as he is to matthews AAV.

Point is, however Matthews has multiple rockets and a hart trophy. So, he has more accolades than pasta, and he’s a better hockey player than pasta.

Not that hard to understand

He's not $2M better on a shorter-term deal.

They're in the same tier of players.

McDavid
--
Draisaitl
MacKinnon
Makar
--
Matthews
Pastrnak
Kucherov
Etc.

Matthews fair value is $11.25-$11.75M. The Leafs just screwed themselves with his last deal. Of course he expected a raise. But Treliving's position should have been that he wasn't the one who signed that deal. So either take less short-term or sign for 7/8.

He, just like Dubas, got neither term nor savings.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
And escrow repayment is why it’s been stagnant. The cap will rise, or is that now the string hfb will cling to now in order to say the leafs are screwed
Don’t quote me then, if your going to talk about something, totally different , sheesh, address the quote or not.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why is that? Is matthews going to retire after this contract or something?

What are you even talking about? When a contract expires does the hockey player turn into a pumpkin?
I suppose they could overpay him again.

The bigger issue is they’re on the back end of the Matthews era and they still dont have a competitive D, nothing in the minors, and no draft picks to help rebuild.

Astonishing.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
How many years till these smart people start talking about him going to Arizona Kings again?

AAV is kinda high tho, MacKinnon and pasta signed wayyy better contacts for team considering Mack is better and pasta might be just as good

Should be talking about it now. Beyond obvious it's happening.

If Arizona weren't playing in a college arena and a complete disaster of a team he probably would be walking next summer to go there.

Makes sense for him to spend the next 4 years on a potential contender and go down south in his 30s for the remainder of his career.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Matthews, unlike, those players, has been talked about as being the second best player in the game
Kane has more hardware than Matthews and was the best player in the league for a short period. Those talks are also closed. Matthews is at best the fourth best forward. Even by pace he was 17th in the league in scoring last year which most top 3 players don't have seasons like that. Even if you count the past three seasons, which includes the two best of Matthews' career, he is 6th in scoring and 5th in pace.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Hmm he only won because scoring 60 was historic . When McDavid beats him in points yet again he already proved he can score 60 I can't see matthews winning another unless a couple guys are hurt
A healthy Mcdavid should win it again this year but I did say in the discussion for Auston if he’s healthy all year. It’s very possible he’s back in the top three finalists again.

60 goals has won the last two the last two Hart trophies so let’s call this season the tiebreaker ;)

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
On the surface, the AAV and term are disappointing, but that is 100% Kyle Dubas' fault.

Treliving inherited a situation wherein he literally had zero leverage. Under the circumstances, I think he did as well as can be expected.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Good luck winning a cup when all your star players refuse to take any sort of discount deals. Look at what Crosby did for Pittsburgh.
15.9% of the cap% is more than fair, if not a discount. Everyone gets fixed on the number and not the cap%. This deal has nothing to do with deals signed between 17-21.

Reactions: MasterofGrond
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad