Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Ive also been here for 15 years. If youre still talking all day in a hockey forum in July-Aug, you need to seek help, or atleast other hobbies.

Or if you’ve posted 40k times in 15 years … you’re living in a glass house and shouldn’t throw stones.

You’ve been here about the same amount of time as I have, man.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I’m happy to take a shot with this core for the next four years then plan on retooling if it doesn’t work out.

I don’t need to see Matthews in blue and white for his whole career. He’s never felt like the kind of team-first player or captain material that I’d hate to see walk.

We’ll have him for his prime, and if he doesn’t win a cup with us, we’ll get a lot of good hockey out of it and playoffs every year at minimum.

Could be a lot worse.

That said, it’s not like Treliving is a big step up on Dubas at the negotiating table, which is a bit disappointing.
5 *

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
And escrow repayment is why it’s been stagnant. The cap will rise, or is that now the string hfb will cling to now in order to say the leafs are screwed
Stagnant/ escrow lol, was never brought up, you said the cap has been rising by 3-5% a year, I said that was mostly because of the escalator, and you replied with a different topic lol.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Lots of players win the Hart. Winning the Hart means you were deemed to be the most valuable player in that particular season by a small group of media members. Kudos to him for that.

It doesn't mean you should be paid significantly more than someone else in the future.

Last 4 seasons:

Pastrnak: 169 goals, 333 points in 272 games (1.22pts/game)
Matthews: 188 goals, 337 points in 269 games (1.25pts/game)

Seems pretty similar.

Matthews plays the premier position but Pasta signed for 8 years not 4. With that factored in, I don't know why Matthews is getting $2M more moving forward.

Pasta is a good player, but he’s never won any rockets, no art Ross’s, no harts, nothing.

Matthews has a hart and multiple rockets.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
everybody take 8!!!!! just not auston he can do whatever he wants, sick of it
He's an ufa he didn't have to sign at all.

Happy to all you leaf fans at least he was willing to stay even if he is gonna take market value .

Reactions: Smif

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
So wait.... He's a leaf for another 5 years......
Thought he wanted out asap. Main boards fail once again.

Reactions: Smif

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
It’s not about me being happy. It’s about me watching sports for a long time and I dont recall a team’s star player ever doing something comparable. Especially not in hockey.

It’s just interesting, and slightly humorous as a non-Toronto fan (I’m a Sabres fan, there’s just as much funny stuff about my team, if not more).

Let me ask you, are you happy your best player just demanded and got a million more than every other star contract…and wouldnt go more than four years unlike literally every other top contract
Pretty sure it was eichel that created the trend of signing for 8 years in a cap world. Could be wrong Though. signing these 8 year contracts also handcuffs the teams long term. it works both way. Guys sign max term withless average or guys signing short term with more average. The 8 year contracts haven’t been around long enough to fully see how they will affect teams in the long term.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Lots of players win the Hart. Winning the Hart means you were deemed to be the most valuable player in that particular season by a small group of media members. Kudos to him for that.

It doesn't mean you should be paid significantly more than someone else in the future.

Last 4 seasons:

Pastrnak: 169 goals, 333 points in 272 games (1.22pts/game)
Matthews: 188 goals, 337 points in 269 games (1.25pts/game)

Seems pretty similar.

Matthews plays the premier position but Pasta signed for 8 years not 4. With that factored in, I don't know why Matthews is getting $2M more moving forward.
Because he is younger and a better overall player.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
The reality is that this is not great, but not that bad. He could have walked to free agency and gotten that or more. If matthews hits free agency, especially with a higher cap, he gets this easy.

So, he chose to stay and he gets what he would have gotten. It's not great but it's not bad. 5 more years of matthews including next year is a-ok for me.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
The AAV isn’t bad. It’s 1.6M more than his previous deal. That’s not a big raise. Especially with projected cap increases

It’s the term that leaves a sour taste

Little bit of dramatics in this thread.
I totally agree. AAV isn’t bad, it’s the term. If this was 8 years, it would be way better. We’re happy Nate settled for 8 years at $12.6M.

Reactions: MoreMogilny

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
The best part is that 4 years in pretty much any other sport is long term. 8 year deals are pretty insane tbh, rarely ever work so the whole narrative is kinda funny. HF really is Twitter lite.
Uh, yes they do for superstars that sign in their younger years. Show me a few superstars in recent memory that signed 8 year deals when they were 25 or younger where it didn't work out

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I do not understand the hand wringing over this. Toronto has to pay him, you can't play hardball with a player of this calibre. Him leaving your franchise is infinitely worse than "overpaying" him. What's more, I don't even know that they're really overpaying him. He makes slightly more than Mackinnon and McDavid, it's not like he set the new AAV record by 4-5 million dollars. It's less than a 3 million dollar raise fromvhis RFA contract. I think all of those guys are so valuable that even if they were given the max AAV the cap allows they would still be worth it.

Additionally, it's obvious based on his post ELC deal and now this one that Matthews is trying to maximize his earnings. Friedman (?) said his camp was unwilling to go longer than 4 and even pushed for 3. IMO they were never going to budge on that, so I think you just be happy he's not headed to UFA potentially ending any contention window the Leafs have.

I hate the Leafs but I'm not going to clown them for paying what they had to in order to keep one of the NHL's best players.

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Or if you’ve posted 40k times in 15 years … you’re living in a glass house and shouldn’t throw stones

I love talking about hockey. I and many others leave when the season ends. The people still in here talking about players astrological signs in the middle of summer are not representative of any fanbase.

Reactions: Taswell

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
what is the current maximum cap hit allowed for one player? isnt it around 16?

and where could i find this info for future reference?

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Cap jumps next year just in time for Marner. I'm guessing he goes for $13.75x8 giving the Leafs a discount adjusting for inflation, cap hit, yadayada

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Really limits Leafs window to win down to three years, if there will ever be one.
This year is more than likely a write-off with the cap problems, no D ,and an odd collection of forwards.
They get some cap relief next year and 11 million more when JT retires. They need to acquire 4 really solid D in and have 2 yrs to do it.

Oh and Buffalo and Ottawa…..

Why is that? Is matthews going to retire after this contract or something?

What are you even talking about? When a contract expires does the hockey player turn into a pumpkin?

Reactions: Summer Rose

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would rather be a rebuilding team than overpay a premadonna an amount he doesn’t deserve. Mark my words he and the TML will win nothing so long as we have him on the team. I would trade him one goal behind Sundin’s all
Time TML goal record just to ensure he has no legacy here.

Start moving this group out and start the rebuild!!
Lol...you are delusional.

There is no timeline in existence where Tre cones in, and trades everyone off. They may not win it all, but they make money for MLSE. And that matters. They are entertaining to watch. And that matters.

wanting to rebuild right now is such a loser attitude. You must be young because clearly you have not had to live thru the awful Ballard years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad