Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Kings are gonna snap up Matthews and Draisaitl in a few years lol
How pray tell do you think LA has the cap or the sway to get Draisaitl? Very good chance he stays in Edmonton vs going to LA, a team that gutted their winger depth for a middling 2nd line center named PLD.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Why do people keep mentioning McDavid when talking about Matthews' value?

The two players aren't in the same stratosphere.

Matthews is comparable to Pastrnak. Why did he so easily get $2M more?

Austin Matthews is a better overall player than Pasta and 2 years younger. You likely haven't even seen the best of him yet as his best is yet to come.

Pasta and AM are right there with the top goalscorers in the league though

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Anyone still posting regularly here in July has bigger problems than that

Bro ….

You have almost 40k posts

Austin Matthews is a better overall player than Pasta and 2 years younger. You likely haven't even seen the best of him yet as his best is yet to come.

Pasta and AM are right there with the top goalscorers in the league though

He’s just imagining all those Hart trophies and rocket trophies pasta hasn’t won

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Really limits Leafs window to win down to three years, if there will ever be one.
This year is more than likely a write-off with the cap problems, no D ,and an odd collection of forwards.
They get some cap relief next year and 11 million more when JT retires. They need to acquire 4 really solid D in and have 2 yrs to do it.

Oh and Buffalo and Ottawa…..

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Right, so why was the narrative "Matthews should set the new bar for AAV"?

Pastrnak was a much better comparable, and he just signed for $11.25M. $11.5M would have been fair for Matthews on a 4-year deal, considering the much shorter term (but factoring in him playing the premium position).

$13.25M is bad.
He was never going to take less than his previous contract . Common get real . Especially with the cap rising .

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
The Leafs held no barginaining power. He could have asked for 14 million.

Your options were doing the deal he wanted, or he could walk and you have to trade him beforehand....and become a much worse team.
I would rather be a rebuilding team than overpay a premadonna an amount he doesn’t deserve. Mark my words he and the TML will win nothing so long as we have him on the team. I would trade him one goal behind Sundin’s all
Time TML goal record just to ensure he has no legacy here.

Start moving this group out and start the rebuild!!

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
4 years, lol Matthews is all about the money. Never any discounts and always shorter terms. Usually franchise players signs for at least 7 years... he does not care about winning.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
A lot of money and little term for a guy to pad his stats.

Dubas' influence is still flowing through to the Leafs (Pens are in for a world of hurt with him when the core ages out) even on this deal so I give Treliving somewhat of a pass on this as his hands were tied to an extent.

Really makes that Tavares contract age more and more like milk; such an uninspiring captain with an NTC contract which means Nylander has to be the one that gets traded out if the Leafs want actual defense depth and at least justify paying Mathews.

Then again this is Toronto.

Pittsburgh's core was ALWAYS going to age out, Dubas or no Dubas. His moves simply are about whether they go out with a spectacular bang or with a whimper.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Our organization should be ashamed. We basically said to any player who is coming up that you run the show not us. What has this guy ever done to deserve 13.25 million a year……answer nothing.

Um …. Hart trophy and some rockets

Reactions: Tripod

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Leafs fans coping SO HARD right now :laugh: Some of them ACTUALLY believe Matthews will be making less than 13,25M on his next deal.

It depends on the term. And it depends on the cap.

The fact is that he won’t be making as much of a percentage of the cap on his 30+ deal. The dollars are irrelevant, the only thing that matters is how much cap he takes up.

On his next deal he 100% guaranteed will take a lower cap percentage

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
He’s just imagining all those Hart trophies and rocket trophies pasta hasn’t won

Lots of players win the Hart. Winning the Hart means you were deemed to be the most valuable player in that particular season by a small group of media members. Kudos to him for that.

It doesn't mean you should be paid significantly more than someone else in the future.

Last 4 seasons:

Pastrnak: 169 goals, 333 points in 272 games (1.22pts/game)
Matthews: 188 goals, 337 points in 269 games (1.25pts/game)

Seems pretty similar.

Matthews plays the premier position but Pasta signed for 8 years not 4. With that factored in, I don't know why Matthews is getting $2M more moving forward.

It's even worse when comparing it to the M.Tkachuk contract.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Get players a year away from free agency FAR AWAY FROM TREVLING! I can imagine that interview…

Toronto: hey a big thing we have upcoming is AM’s contract runs out in a year. You have any recent experience in situations like that?

Trevling: oh yeah! Just a year ago I had Johnny hockey and Tkachuk!

Toronto: and you were able to successfully navigate that situation?

Trevling: oh god no! I couldn’t get them signed. Disaster. But now I learned, you just gotta pay them whatever they want

Toronto: what about how every other team get their stars signed to comparable deals?

Trevling: huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad