Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] F Auston Matthews signs extension with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $13.25M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Crazy good deal for Matthews. He's setting himself up to be one of the highest career earners ever in the NHL. Barring serious injury, his next contract is likely where he goes after term along with AAV.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Pretty much no one was saying he was going to sign for 8 years. But sure believe whatever you want.
He didn’t leave after his current contract like so many of you said he would he probably won’t after the next one either.
Also it’s 5 years not 4 before he could leave. He still has 1 year left on his last deal, will Arizona even have a team in 5 years?
Because in 4 years you’ll need to go through this again, you’re not going to let his contract run out , without a trade or extension by waiting 5 years.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
That would be an absolute disaster signing Draisaitl when he’s 30 to an 8 year deal.

McDavid just switched to the same Agent as Matthews. He’s not taking anything under 16 mill a year especially when the cap will have gone up.
"especially when the cap will have gone up" I believe it when i see it.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Are you prepared to lose Marner for nothing? He also has a NMC and doesn't sound like he wants to be traded. So... either Toronto gives him what he wants, tries to convince to waive (and deal with whatever destination he picks, deprecating his value) or he walks for absolutely nothing in two years.

It's not Marner who's f***ed in this scenario, it's Toronto.
If he wants 13.5 million a year? Yes.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Lmao no they won't he's 25...4 years takes him right to his prime for a huge payday.
They have him for the next 5 years ( including this one ). Takes him to 30 I believe . So bit past but I agree most wanted 5 or 6 (I was one who was on the 5 year train due to injury concerns ) .

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You pay Mackinnon money and don't even get a player as good at Mackinnon.

Okay.

Matthews has more individual accomplishments than MacKinnon. MacKinnon won a Calder and Lady Byng in his career and he's older.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
It's more likely that Matthews wins multiple Rocket trophies in his 30s than for him to not even make it to 30.
It's more likely that Matthews wins multiple Rocket trophies in his 30s than for him to not even make it to 30.
it’s quite possible. It’s also quite possible he doesn’t. I was referring to his wrist still being elite at 30. With his history of wrist injuries I’m not confident it will be there into his 30’s.

Reactions: Belos

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
That’s true of every player … Mcdavid is in his own tier ..

Right, so why was the narrative "Matthews should set the new bar for AAV"?

Pastrnak was a much better comparable, and he just signed for $11.25M. $11.5M would have been fair for Matthews on a 4-year deal, considering the much shorter term (but factoring in him playing the premium position).

$13.25M is bad.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
HFBoards: Long-term contracts are the dumbest thing that GMs can do!

Also HFBoards: Ha ha, only a four year contract!

I don’t think this is true. I think we can go to any team’s thread on signing a star player to 8 year deals and there will be mainly praise

People critisize long term deals to older UFAs. I haven’t seen anyone do that for superstars in their mid 20s.

Unless you had an example?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I guess this is better than the 13.5M/3yr that was rumored, but yeesh.
I wonder if that was leaked just to make the eventual actual deal seem good.

"Look Nylander! Matthews gave an extra year and lowered the AAV!"

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
HFBoards: Long-term contracts are the dumbest thing that GMs can do!

Also HFBoards: Ha ha, only a four year contract!
The best part is that 4 years in pretty much any other sport is long term. 8 year deals are pretty insane tbh, rarely ever work so the whole narrative is kinda funny. HF really is Twitter lite.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This contract is fine for Toronto. It's the next one that will be the long term problem. Realistically, Matthews can extend for 8 years after this and get paid until he's 38 at tip top dollar. At 30 absent some sort of freak injury he's almost certainly still a top player.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I wouldn't really want anyone past 31 at that cap hit anyway, so I think I'm ok with 4 years?

Yes but you have to be willing to walk away in four years or hope Matthews signs a team friendly deal…because someone will be willing to give him a bad deal when this is up.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
A lot of money and little term for a guy to pad his stats.

Dubas' influence is still flowing through to the Leafs (Pens are in for a world of hurt with him when the core ages out) even on this deal so I give Treliving somewhat of a pass on this as his hands were tied to an extent.

Really makes that Tavares contract age more and more like milk; such an uninspiring captain with an NTC contract which means Nylander has to be the one that gets traded out if the Leafs want actual defense depth and at least justify paying Mathews.

Then again this is Toronto.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Kings are gonna snap up Matthews and Draisaitl in a few years lol
5 years is a few years?

I like this extension because Matthews might be doing us a favor if he continues to have wrist and back problems.

Not saying he's injury prone but he seems like he could become that.

I'm just happy to have him for another 5 years, he's a blast to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad