Confirmed Trade: [TOR/DAL] Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
This is such a stupid idea. Reeks of the days when they gave out bad contracts to Robidas, Marleau, etc. and instantly regretted it for the cap space they took up. Leading to even more bad decisions down the road.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I don't know how he's going to do in the near future, neither do you.

The issue is you attempting to portray this guy as already "falling off a cliff" as of this moment is completely and totally unfounded, downright absurd.

The man ate some of the toughest minutes in the entire league against Jack Eichel and the leagues MVP in the playoffs and was on the ice for ONE 5 on 5 goal against.

ok, lets see

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Because you can keep the AAV down, and just buy out the rest of the deal when there isn't much left and cap is up to a gazillion anyway. Or he retires, or he goes to LTIR.

This used to be much more common before the NHL capped contracts to 8 years.
Don’t make LTIR and buyout like a normal thing

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
This is such a stupid idea. Reeks of the days when they gave out bad contracts to Robidas, Marleau, etc. and instantly regretted it for the cap space they took up. Leading to even more bad decisions down the road.

Perhaps we should actually see what the deal is before judging it.

Tanev is under 35, a long term deal with a lower AAV would make a lot of sense strategically.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
hehyyrmbn7r71.jpg
Avs fan, friend. Don't need Tanev and I've been alive to see them win three Cups.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Don’t make LTIR and buyout like a normal thing
Buyout is absolutely a normal thing. LTIR, that's a bit greasy but happens all the time.

Hell, did Utah make a tribute for Shea Weber? Pretty amazing to have a HHOF inductee in your roster!

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not sure it will be a good signing if people are already talking about LTIR before he’s even signed. To go on LTIR there has to actually be a serious injury not just an agreement by the parties. See Luongo as an example who retired without going on LTIR.

Reactions: inthewings

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
He was horrific against the Oilers. Every goal against when Tanev and Lindell was on the ice the Benny Hill theme kept coming up in my head.

And McDavid was utterly shutdown by Barkov 5 on 5 in the cup finals, what's your point? One meh series doesn't eliminate two great ones.

Tanev was absolutely dominant against the league MVP and Jack Eichel head to head in the first two rounds of the playoffs.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Not sure it will be a good signing if people are already talking about LTIR before he’s even signed. To go on LTIR there has to actually be a serious injury not just an agreement by the parties. See Luongo as an example who retired without going on LTIR.
Nothing wrong with strategic cap planning since its doomed to fail

Calling out stupidity isn’t being sensitive.
I never said you were stupid out loud. Why are you involved anyway?

Reactions: dukeofjive

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Now you disliking Tanev makes a lot more sense.

You think you'd be happy seeing him leave after shutting down your captain.
I like Tanev just fine, he's an excellent defenseman. Giving term to 34 year old players is almost never a good idea, however.

I can think of few examples. Brent Burns is still playing at a solid level, that's about it.

And MacKinnon isn't the team captain.

Reactions: dukeofjive

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
And there it is. Leaf hater as I thought. Next.

The irony is in the fact that I love Nylander and Matthews and a good handful of Leafs and wish they could get over the hump. If anything, I’m a Leaf FANS hater (and I’d wager the same goes most of HF, honestly…) which is entirely due to the very point I’m trying to make - every team gives ill advised contracts to coveted vets. It happens. Only a Leaf fan would think that being criticized for it is unique to their franchise; every big contract given to a 32+ year old this summer will likely be scrutinized. Leafs fans like to believe that they’re somehow being targeted specially. They’re not. They’re just annoying.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I like Tanev just fine, he's an excellent defenseman. Giving term to a 34 year old players is almost never a good idea. I can think of few examples. Brent Burns is still playing at a solid level, that's about it.

And MacKinnon isn't the team captain.

The Leafs are not expecting him to play the later years of the deal. Get a reduced cap hit the first few years when you need the cap savings, then he is no longer an NHler he goes off into the sunset on LTIR

Reactions: Enniskillen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad