Confirmed Trade: [TOR/DAL] Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Not sure it will be a good signing if people are already talking about LTIR before he’s even signed. To go on LTIR there has to actually be a serious injury not just an agreement by the parties. See Luongo as an example who retired without going on LTIR.

I don't think many of us are expecting Tanev to play well into his 40's.

They're more/less giving him a guaranteed contract into retirement to keep the AAV load and to limit his cap hit.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
The irony is in the fact that I love Nylander and Matthews and a good handful of Leafs and wish they could get over the hump. If anything, I’m a Lear FANS hater, which is entirely due to the very point I’m trying to make - every team gives ill advised contracts to coveted vets. It happens. Only a Leaf fan would think that being criticized for it is unique to their franchise; every big contract given to a 32+ year old this summer will likely be scrutinized. Leafs fans like to believe that they’re somehow being targeted specially. They’re not. They’re just annoying.

It's because you are deliberately ignoring the very obvious plan

Reactions: Lilou

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Nothing wrong with strategic cap planning since its doomed to fail

I never said you were stupid out loud. Why are you involved anyway?
I never said that you said I was stupid - I said that people calling out your stupid and immature posts doesn’t make them sensitive, which is what you said.

It’s a message board, people are allowed to respond. Sorry you didn’t get the memo.

Reactions: Enniskillen

pedis

brochefs
Mar 14, 2014
mars
I don't want him to be in Toronto because I actually really like tanev and now the whole league is gonna hate on a great defensive defenceman because omg he's a leaf now. The absolute 180 already in this thread is ridiculous

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
I like Tanev just fine, he's an excellent defenseman. Giving term to a 34 year old players is almost never a good idea, however.

I can think of few examples. Brent Burns is still playing at a solid level, that's about it.

And MacKinnon isn't the team captain.

The thing is, if rumors are true he's garnering a long term contract that'll send him paychecks well into retirement in order to keep his AAV down, it makes a lot of sense strategically for both parties as he's under 35.

I don't think anybody expects Tanev to be playing hockey, let alone being productive into his 40's, but I think we should see the AAV before jumping to conclusions, with JT coming off the books next Season and the cap poised to continue rising the Leafs will finally have a legitimate opportunity to open up a competitive window for themselves if their management can be at least semi competent.

Ah yes, I actually forgot Landeskog is still technically an NHL captain, hope he recovers well.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
It's because you are deliberately ignoring the very obvious plan

“The very obvious plan” still relies on a 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 year old Tanev being healthy and not declining. Did he not just literally miss Dallas’ last few games when he would have been most needed due to injury? And again, there is no way to guarantee a player will honor an “illegal” handshake agreement. When it comes time to hang them up, if they don’t want to, you think you can go to the league offices and say “but when we signed him to an 8 year deal he promised us he’d only play 5 of it!! How else were we supposed to manipulate the cap?!!”

You thinking this would be some master stroke from a team that historically hasn’t really made any, because of intangible “agreements” made years earlier is fairly optimistic.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
True, it cannot be easy again for u to have that easy path in the playoffs against the teams with 3rd string goalies..Bobrovsky says hi
You should probably look at getting out of the first round before talking about other teams.

If the Oilers can fluke their way to the finals anything is possible
Hopefully you guys can fluke your way to round 2 one of these years.

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Could be great, could be horrible.

It all depends on what the term will be.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
“The very obvious plan” still relies on a 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 year old Tanev being healthy and not declining.

*sigh*

“The very obvious plan” still relies on a 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 year old Tanev being healthy and not declining. Did he not just literally miss Dallas’ last few games when he would have been most needed due to injury? And again, there is no way to guarantee a player will honor an “illegal” handshake agreement. When it comes time to hang them up, if they don’t want to, you think you can go to the league offices and say “but when we signed him to an 8 year deal he promised us he’d only play 5 of it!! How else were we supposed to manipulate the cap?!!”

So then they trade him to a cap floor team as a good vet as a cap dump for a 2nd 5 years from now. Point is, they are not signing this expecting him to not decline 5+ years from now and pretending that is even remotely being considered is why I am calling you a hater due to the mental gymnastics to just accept what is obviously the plan

You thinking this would be some master stroke from a team that historically hasn’t really made any, because of intangible “agreements” were made years earlier is fairly optimistic.

Except "Robidas Island" is a literal meme for them consistently doing exactly that?

Reactions: Lilou

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
worry about your team???

Everyone and their mother wanted Tanev a month ago and now hes shit and useless because he went to Toronto.

its the same old same old... at least change it up and be more creative
I'd like him in Vancouver. Problem is Brad sucks as, a GM when it comes to contacts, especially for guys he's got a hard on for. It will be an ugly contract but that's not a knock on Tanev, I just have very little faith in Brad.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Buyout is absolutely a normal thing. LTIR, that's a bit greasy but happens all the time.

Hell, did Utah make a tribute for Shea Weber? Pretty amazing to have a HHOF inductee in your roster!
Yeah buyout happens but it’s not something you plan to do when sign new contracts

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
The irony is in the fact that I love Nylander and Matthews and a good handful of Leafs and wish they could get over the hump. If anything, I’m a Leaf FANS hater (and I’d wager the same goes most of HF, honestly…) which is entirely due to the very point I’m trying to make - every team gives ill advised contracts to coveted vets. It happens. Only a Leaf fan would think that being criticized for it is unique to their franchise; every big contract given to a 32+ year old this summer will likely be scrutinized. Leafs fans like to believe that they’re somehow being targeted specially. They’re not. They’re just annoying.

You thinking this would be some master stroke from a team that historically hasn’t really made any, because of intangible “agreements” were made years earlier is fairly optimistic.
The fanbase bashing from a mod aside, this is clearly a high risk high reward play.

We don’t even know specifics of the deal yet so not sure why you’re so passionately dunking on the deal. Probably has something to do with your first post.

The Leafs have built a poorly thought out roster with imbalance on D. Without trading a core piece, they have to get creative. Going long term hypothetically brings down the cap hit for arguably the best DFD on the market. His extensive injury history and not being 35y/o+ mitigates some risk (ie LTIRetirement), but there’s no guarantees it goes to plan.

Based on rumours he’s 1/2 of Treliving’s UFA plan for the blue line. Need cap for the other move.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
*sigh*

So then they trade him to a cap floor team as a good vet as a cap dump for a 2nd 5 years from now. Point is, they are not signing this expecting him to not decline 5+ years from now and pretending that is even remotely being considered is why I am calling you a hater due to the mental gymnastics to just accept what is obviously the plan

Except "Robidas Island" is a literal meme for them consistently doing exactly that?

Everyone on Robidas Island had 3rd party doctor verified injuries, Tanev gets bumps and bruises from blocking shots. He doesn’t have a degenerative back problem or blown out hips requiring season ending surgery as a goalie. That might change in 3-4 years but for now he just has a slew of smaller non-chronic or degenerative injuries that rarely keep him out long enough to qualify for LTIR.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Yeah buyout happens but it’s not something you plan to do when sign new contracts
I mean the GM isn't doing his job properly, if he isn't trying to construct the contract in a way that benefits the team. As in, provides a possible way out of it.

But the player and his agent obviously have their say on it too. Some do this better than others. I guess for the Leafs, if there is one thing that I'm scared of, it's the fact that Jonathan Huberdeau basically got the most buyout proof contract that has ever existed in this league and it was signed by Brad Treliving.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Its totally idiotic to think LTIR is a long term strategy when negotiating contracts.

In which way is lowering the AAV on a players contract to give yourself more space to sign players to improve your club "idiotic" ?

They have JT and his 11 million coming off the books, and it guarantees Tanev a paycheck without accumlating anything of significance against the cap into his retirement years when his play inevitably drops.

You don't have to like it, but to act as if it doesn't make sense strategically is illogical.

Granted this is if they even go that route, there's no contract signed and this is purely speculation.

Reactions: Strangle

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Everyone on Robidas Island had 3rd party doctor verified injuries, Tanev gets bumps and bruises from blocking shots. He doesn’t have a degenerative back problem or blown out hips requiring season ending surgery as a goalie. That might change in 3-4 years but for now he just has a slew of smaller non-chronic or degenerative injuries that rarely keep him out long enough to qualify for LTIR.

Because eventually his body is not going to be able to perform at the NHL level and he will quit and take his millions

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
*sigh*

To WHAT effect? A meme about the Leafs burying players who can no longer be effective on LTIR is a MEME. Also known as a JOKE, which TML are the butt of. Talk about a lack of self awareness. If you’re going to brag about effectively using LTIR, maybe give TBL or VGK a ring. Toronto isn’t impressing anyone with Robidas island.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
To WHAT effect? A meme about the Leafs burying players who can no longer be effective on LTIR is a MEME. Also known as a JOKE, which TML are the butt of. Talk about a lack of self awareness. If you’re going to brag about effectively using LTIR, maybe give TBL or VGK a ring. Toronto isn’t impressing anyone with Robidas island.

Who is trying to impress anyone? You know what, I'll be the bigger person and move on here. You are clearly unhinged when it comes to the Leafs (for whatever reason being a Rangers fan living in Dallas? I don't get it).

Ad

Ad

Ad