Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Chris Tanev signs extension with the Maple Leafs (6 years, $4.5M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
so its going to be a buyout in 2 years
LTIR more than likely. I suspect that's the secret plan in Treliving's head. The odds are good that Tanev doesn't stay healthy enough to finish the last few years of his contract.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
This just reaffirms my belief that the poll section of this site could outperform the average NHL GM.

Have you ever actually been in the HFboards poll section? Lmao

Or are you one of the posters who constantly votes wrong on polls concerning Leaf players?

Either way, your opinion is hilariously ill-informed

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal

Or are you one of the posters who constantly votes wrong on polls concerning Leaf players?

Winning individual polls isn't the same as winning real life games on a hockey team , Leafs have 4ppg forwards and can't win more than a round in a decade , its not suprising that they lose polls to worst players , they are viewed as losers league wide

Reactions: dukeofjive

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Winning individual polls isn't the same as winning real life games on a hockey team , Leafs have 4ppg forwards and can't win more than a round in a decade , its not suprising that they lose polls to worst players , they are viewed as losers league wide

I don’t think you understood the post I was responding to

But you do you, hope the habs can figure out how to make the playoffs, losers

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
More blatant cap circumvention than this you have to look for. It's obvious this deal was only signed to get the AAV down and then ltir him and get rid of the cap hit for the last 3 years.
It's basically like all the frontloaded long term deals signed a decade ago to get the cap hit down.
There is a significant difference. Money paid from LTIR contracts comes from the players' 50% share of HRR. The dummy year contracts were designed to pay more than 50% HRR. And that's why there were cap recapture penalties, to get that extra money back on books to the players' share.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
He is a great player. IMO one of the more underrated defensemen of his time. I guess Leafs know he'll be on the LTIR a lot during this contract. If they're fine with that, then it's a good deal for them. He can teach their younger defensemen so much.

Reactions: DitchMarner

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
6 years of playing how injured is Chris Tanev for the Leafs

He's still one the most technically proficient defenders off the puck, I don't think you lose that with age. But the miles were really starting to show when he was with the Flames last season. Good luck trying to LTIR the guy, played with one arm in 2022. Might be alright for a year or two but good lord 6 years is a long time.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
Leafs being the Leafs I guess. I wouldn't have offered anything over two years of Tanev. Love the guy, but he's already nearing the end of his career. Six years is darn near inconceivable from an NHL GM.

Sep 18, 2009
More blatant cap circumvention than this you have to look for. It's obvious this deal was only signed to get the AAV down and then ltir him and get rid of the cap hit for the last 3 years.
It's basically like all the frontloaded long term deals signed a decade ago to get the cap hit down.
Would be funnier if it went even longer
This guy going to LTIR

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
LOL 5 YEARS.

After Muzzin being injured out of relevance, Tre doubles down on an even higher injury risk in Tanev.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Idk how to feel about Tanev tbh. He's a good deadline pick up when he's having a healthy effective season, but this guy is going to be 35 2 months into the season, has a sizeable injury history, and there's just no telling when the wheels are going to fall off. I think he'll be useful this year, and maybe next, but I don't see it past that point.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011

Love the player, but it's a bad contract. My condolences.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Idk how to feel about Tanev tbh. He's a good deadline pick up when he's having a healthy effective season, but this guy is going to be 35 2 months into the season, has a sizeable injury history, and there's just no telling when the wheels are going to fall off. I think he'll be useful this year, and maybe next, but I don't see it past that point.
I think he can be good for a couple years and serviceable for a third. Then I think the plan is to hope the NHL doesn't change how LTIR works and have him spend a couple seasons in LTIRetirement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad