Proposal: TOR - CHI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Leafs have a major concern in net. We all know Matthews contract is expiring and the Leafs need to make the most of it. Tavares' is only getting older and will decline, I feel like our window to really contend is right now. We cannot afford to waste any more prime years of Matthews/Marner without giving them a good chance to compete/contend for a cup and Matthews is also having a career year. We will most likely be playing Florida/Tampa in the first round and I don't think this current roster, especially goal tending is good enough to get it done against either one. We need to address the blue line as well, but that is pointless without stability in net first.

Proposal is for Fleury, please make counter offers if this does not address Chicago's needs. Dubas needs get a deal for MAF done, we desperately need a goaltender and I'm really not confident going into the playoffs with this tandem.

To Toronto

Fleury with 50% retention (3.5M)

To Chicago

1st rounder (2022 or 2023 CHI choice), 3rd rounder 2024, Mrazek (3.8M)

Is that enough for MAF ? He's 37 and most likely will not re-sign here, pure rental but a good one at that. We'd have to send Mrazek for cap purposes.

I'd have a lot more confidence in a tandem of Fleury/Campbell

EDIT: Changed the 3rd round from 2023 to 2024, as Arizona has the choice between 2023 3rd or 2025 2nd.

everyone's contract is expiring, that is how contracts work, same with life/death.

MAF should not get a 1st rounder at his age, regardless of retention, and even if he's the best goalie available.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
everyone's contract is expiring, that is how contracts work, same with life/death.

MAF should not get a 1st rounder at his age, regardless of retention, and even if he's the best goalie available.

Maybe a bit of a panic by me but I think with teams like Washington, Colorado and possibly Edmonton all looking for a goaltender, his price will inevitably go up.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Leafs have a major concern in net. We all know Matthews contract is expiring and the Leafs need to make the most of it. Tavares' is only getting older and will decline, I feel like our window to really contend is right now. We cannot afford to waste any more prime years of Matthews/Marner without giving them a good chance to compete/contend for a cup and Matthews is also having a career year. We will most likely be playing Florida/Tampa in the first round and I don't think this current roster, especially goal tending is good enough to get it done against either one. We need to address the blue line as well, but that is pointless without stability in net first.

Proposal is for Fleury, please make counter offers if this does not address Chicago's needs. Dubas needs get a deal for MAF done, we desperately need a goaltender and I'm really not confident going into the playoffs with this tandem.

To Toronto

Fleury with 50% retention (3.5M)

To Chicago

1st rounder (2022 or 2023 CHI choice), 3rd rounder 2024, Mrazek (3.8M)

Is that enough for MAF ? He's 37 and most likely will not re-sign here, pure rental but a good one at that. We'd have to send Mrazek for cap purposes.

I'd have a lot more confidence in a tandem of Fleury/Campbell

EDIT: Changed the 3rd round from 2023 to 2024, as Arizona has the choice between 2023 3rd or 2025 2nd.

Someone read Simmons' column and felt the need to start a thread on it.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Not so sure about that.

Chicago is going to have to get somebody to play goal for them next year. They aren't going to be high on Darcy Kuemper, Pavel Francouz', or even Marc Andre Fleury's list.

There aren't really any goalies out there today on the UFA market that a team like Chicago should be building around... and if all of the mediocre guys on the market want 3+ year deals to go to Chicago, then Mrazek could be an ideal option given that he doesn't have 3 years worth of commitment.

I'm not saying Mrazek has any sort of material value, but he's probably a better option than shopping in UFA for the Hawks.

But why not just wait and then acquire him in the off-season when the Leafs might include a sweetener just to get rid of him?

Reactions: Space umpire

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I get MAF is desired but anyone could have had him in the off-season for basically nothing, I don`t see the 1st price tag.

He got traded in late July. There weren't many teams at all that could take on his cap hit without sending out any cash (a requirement for Vegas) so no, he certainly wasn't available to everybody in the off-season for nothing.

He is *much* more valuable now that his contract is expiring and the cap space required for him is much smaller and he's with a team that could take on salary if need be. The market for Fleury is dramatically different now.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
There are probably maybe 3 who could looking for a goalie

Edmonton who probably looking for a long term option.

Washington and maybe toronto and i dont think 1 of those 2 team will be as desesperate to give a 1st pick

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Surprised there isn't a value of MAF thread up, probably get a better feel of what fans would offer. I think at least Edmonton/Toronto/Washington would be interested.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The Leaf and fans are the joke ,stop listening to your media Nick Robertson is a star,,,,,Jeremy Bracco is a star,Out to Leafs lunch
Yea yea...I remember hearing the same thing years ago when posters were like "stop listening to the media, Matthews ain't a star, lol Marner ain't a star, Nylander ain't a star" forgive us if we don't just take your advice on that.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Once again, if they’re anticipating a rebuild, they wouldn’t necessarily be focused on a “better” goalie.

Once again, you've ignored the question.

Who do you think is a better option for the Hawks?

Not neccessarily "better goalie" -- but better option / preferred route.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
But why not just wait and then acquire him in the off-season when the Leafs might include a sweetener just to get rid of him?

Because he might end up elsewhere, and you might end up having to dip 3+ years into the UFA pool to get a competent goalie.

Overall, I don't think teams approach every single deal as "when is the best time to get him?", "when can we save ourselves, or get ourselves, a 6th round pick".

If Chicago feels that Mrazek can be a competent goalie for them, and looking at the UFA pool, they're all likely to be less attractive with either inferior goaltenders and/or longer term deals; then they'll jump at the opportunity to take Mrazek and knock something off the "to do list".

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Because he might end up elsewhere, and you might end up having to dip 3+ years into the UFA pool to get a competent goalie.

Overall, I don't think teams approach every single deal as "when is the best time to get him?", "when can we save ourselves, or get ourselves, a 6th round pick".

If Chicago feels that Mrazek can be a competent goalie for them, and looking at the UFA pool, they're all likely to be less attractive with either inferior goaltenders and/or longer term deals; then they'll jump at the opportunity to take Mrazek and knock something off the "to do list".

Let's agree to disagree. I don't think anyone is "jumping" at the chance to get Mrazek and I don't foresee the goaltending shortage that you think there will be. There will be many options to plug the crease in the short term.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Yea yea...I remember hearing the same thing years ago when posters were like "stop listening to the media, Matthews ain't a star, lol Marner ain't a star, Nylander ain't a star" forgive us if we don't just take your advice on that.
Knock yourself out !!!!!!!!! 1st rd exit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,again

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Good luck to the Hawks in the 1st round as well....
Well Thanks but we've had our 3 Stanley's Cups and long playoff runs. Our players aged, got beaten up, and got Paid. Maple Leaf players got paid and should be a fresh as a VACHON pastry .

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Let's agree to disagree. I don't think anyone is "jumping" at the chance to get Mrazek and I don't foresee the goaltending shortage that you think there will be. There will be many options to plug the crease in the short term.

Who'd you rather have in goal for the Hawks next year?

Just a Fan

Feb 22, 2022
Well Thanks but we've had our 3 Stanley's Cups and long playoff runs. Our players aged got beaten up and got Paid. Maple Leaf players got paid and should be a fresh as a VACHON pastry .
Well i guess they are good to go then!!

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
One thing I am curious about: last summer he was traded for next to nothing as the vezina trophy winner, now he is worth picks and prospects? What changed?

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
One thing I am curious about: last summer he was traded for next to nothing as the vezina trophy winner, now he is worth picks and prospects? What changed?

- $3.5m vs $7m.
- Teams may have LTIR space to hold him for the remainder of the season.
- Some teams may have had goaltenders that have not panned out as hoped.

Personally, I don't think those factors make him worth a 1st.

- Kuemper & Francouz really haven't been bad for Colorado; and they don't have their 1st.
- I don't think Edmonton is good enough to where it makes sense to trade their first for a rental / 37 year old goalie.
- Washington will have cap challenges fitting him in if they expect Mantha back, and probably don't want to risk losing Samsonov or Vanecek to waivers.
- Toronto got burned big time last year in trading for rentals. I think their "premium assets" are being reserved for guys with some term.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Whether this deal makes sense or not will depend a ton on how the next 3 weeks go... but at this point, you've gotta assume the Leafs would rather shore up elsewhere before they shore up in net. Can't see the Leafs parting with their 1st rounder for a guy who might step on the ice in the playoffs.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Good question ! My understanding is that the Blackhawks were the only Team that was willing to take his cap hit and at the same time had the space and the need ,they lucked out really.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Who'd you rather have in goal for the Hawks next year?

As a stop gap place holder?

Pavel Francouz
Vitek Vanecek
Joonas Korpisalo
Casey DeSmith
Braden Holtby
Mikko Koskinen
Martin Jones
Jack Campbell
David Rittich
Brian Elliott
Anton Forsberg
Anton Khudobin
Jaro Halak

As a longer term solution?

Darcy Kuemper
Ville Husso

Plenty of options and plenty of better ways to spend $3.8 million of their cap and less of an injury track record on pretty much all of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad