Confirmed Trade: [TOR/ANA] Bernier to Anaheim for conditional 2017 pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Are we going to learn what the pick is? This trade will look a lot different if it's a 1st or a 7th...

I would assume it's almost nothing of value.
Sounds like Bernier is suppose to be part of the original deal with Andersen.
They just delayed it so ANA doesn't have to pay the signing bonus.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Okay look how long it is taking Oilers and let's face it the Oilers have better building block than leafs. You guy won't be competiing for at least 3 years and probably closer to 5 or 6 which would mean andersen would 33 and declining.

i think you have no idea what you are talking about

just because it took Edmonton a decade to ''build'' a team it doesn't mean that other teams will do the same

see Calgary, they basically blew the team up and improved the team the following year

Also, the Leafs have over $22m of expiring contracts by the end of the year

if they hit Free Agency with that much dough, they might be able to add 2-3 pieces enough to propel them into contention for a playoff spot

i think the Leafs are one season away from a playoff berth

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
He's weak mentally. Loses focus and let's in deflating goals that I could stop.

He has the physical tools, but his mental makeup will always limit him to backup duties, or in the case with Toronto, a number 1 on a last place team.

Okay play goal in the NHL for 1 game and see how you do

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007

just because it took Edmonton a decade to ''build'' a team it doesn't mean that other teams will do the same

see Calgary, they basically blew the team up and improved the team the following year

if they hit Free Agency with that much dough, they might be able to add 2-3 pieces enough to propel them into contention for a playoff spot

I agree with this. It's not like the division is hard. After TBL and FLA, everyone else isn't that much better than TOR.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

We have a lot of pieces in place.

Zaitsev transitioning into a 2nd pair defenseman

Getting our young guys experience

and somehow getting a top pairing defenseman (ideally right handed) to play with Rielly and we're looking good.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Okay look how long it is taking Oilers and let's face it the Oilers have better building block than leafs. You guy won't be competiing for at least 3 years and probably closer to 5 or 6 which would mean andersen would 33 and declining.

You do realize you're comparing this to an organization that was poorly run for the last decade?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He was for half a season over his Toronto tenure. Come on, this guy wasn't much maligned other than that, and by no fanbase more and more unfairly so than the Leafs own, out of some weird affection for an inferior goalie in Reimer.

Reimer was easily the better goalie last year. Bernier was awful for 3/4 of the season and only started playing good when there were no expectations or pressure on him to do well.

The season before last he was good, but I've always said he is too mentally weak to ever have success in Toronto. Primarily a cap dump for Toronto and Anaheim can have him backup Gibson for next year until his contract runs out and I'm sure Bernier will test the waters as a UFA in 2017.

Win/win trade.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Probably already been said, but amusing how LA's young goalies they moved out east have ended up right back in state on their rival teams.

CrazyDuck4u

Oct 14, 2006
Probably already been said, but amusing how LA's young goalies they moved out east have ended up right back in state on their rival teams.

Only problem Jones never actualy played out east lol. Bernier is a solid backup and gives the ducks a good tandem for just under 4million next year. Bargain bob at it again.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Reimer was easily the better goalie last year. Bernier was awful for 3/4 of the season and only started playing good when there were no expectations or pressure on him to do well.

The season before last he was good, but I've always said he is too mentally weak to ever have success in Toronto. Primarily a cap dump for Toronto and Anaheim can have him backup Gibson for next year until his contract runs out and I'm sure Bernier will test the waters as a UFA in 2017.

Win/win trade.

I'm not debating it's win-win. It is. Toronto gets cap room, Ducks get a useful guy on a very affordable remaining salary. It just works, and that's why so many people had a feeling this could go down.

I just didn't like the notion that Bernier is rated more highly now than before out of an anti-Leaf bias. I'm not saying that doesn't exist, but in Bernier's case, there never was a fanbase more harsh on him than the Leafs' own. Which was warranted for only half of last season, where he truly broke down mentally. Over the rest of his tenure, he was pretty damn good.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Shame he was never recognized for his talents in toronto ontario. He was the best goalie you guys had but was just never given the chance. This is a fantastic move by Anaheim and I'm sure he'll end up being the starter and put up great numbers there. And hey, maybe toronto ontario will be able to sign Russel to a long term mega dollars deal now?!

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Only problem Jones never actualy played out east lol. Bernier is a solid backup and gives the ducks a good tandem for just under 4million next year. Bargain bob at it again.

Didn't say he did. Just that they moved him out east to avoid having to play him as much and then he ended up right back in SJ.

Berube was another Kings goalie right? Maybe he ends up in SJ as backup :P :sarcasm:

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
The ****, we are still getting a backup? Why not just have Bernier as a backup?

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
not sold on either bernier or Anderson. Wouldn't surprise me if bernier put up better numbers this year.

When he puts up better numbers it will be funny.

Are Leafs going for another tank? Garrett Sparks becomes #1 at 40 game mark, I predict

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
Our D was horrendous last season, so Bernier may play very well with a better defence corps in Anaheim. I think we should have gotten a little more back than just a conditional pick

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm not debating it's win-win. It is. Toronto gets cap room, Ducks get a useful guy on a very affordable remaining salary. It just works, and that's why so many people had a feeling this could go down.

I just didn't like the notion that Bernier is rated more highly now than before out of an anti-Leaf bias. I'm not saying that doesn't exist, but in Bernier's case, there never was a fanbase more harsh on him than the Leafs' own. Which was warranted for only half of last season, where he truly broke down mentally. Over the rest of his tenure, he was pretty damn good.

I've been saying the same for years. If you're not a consistently great goaltender, you're going to have parts of the fanbase turn on you. And very, very few goaltenders live up to that. Decent goaltenders like Reimer and Bernier has tons of people who want to blame every misfortune of the franchise on them. It's a bit absurd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad