Value of: Top Dollar for Lafreniere

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
LaF has disappointed as a 1OA, but an honest assessment is his success has been restrained by inferior skating, which has improved from sub par to par. Between this and chemistry found with kid line of Chytil + Kakko, there is basis to believe my projection of him as another Steve Vickers level product.
He is a marketing coup for Canada based teams.

We should expect a premium return, but not a crazy overpay.
The other side must admit that we have no reason to deal him short of an offer too good to refuse, and do so in currency acceptable to NY.

At present, I believe the Oil, who want to max the McDrai years, would pay to add him as a foundation piece.

Rangers need to add some speed and youth. NY has not listened to bern, and done stupid win now rentals favoring vets over youth, and needs to compensate for this.

EDM can do
late 1st
Broberg
Holloway
McLeod
Lajoie

for

LaF
Jones
Leschyshn
Blidh
Belzille

Rs wi every aspect of this except for surrendering LaF, which is fine b'c it is a huge marketing coup to land LaF over Habs, Leafs, etc etc
and more importantly, LaF looks like he could trigger nicely w/McD/Drai.

Other pieces are a wince for Oil taking back less value in return, but they are expendable.

Until bread is dealt, Rs then get to do:
Ottman - Chytil - Kakko
Kreider - Zib - Holloway
Wheeler - Trocheck - Panarin
Cuylie - Goodrow - Pitlick

with other moves to follow

I think Rangers would do this, if you remove Leschyshn, but not with him included.

• Haha
Reactions: One Winged Angel

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I don’t think Lafreniere goes anywhere this season unless he asks out. If he has another mediocre year then the offseason at the soonest, and at that point who knows what the value will be.

Reactions: ole ole

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
If he was drafted anywhere outside the top 3, people would be happy with his progress. He's been a middle 6 winger who has consistently paced for close to 20 goals while starting in the NHL at 18. He also plays a hard nosed game and brings things away from scoring.

The problem is that he was hyped as a near-generational prospect, and it looks like he will simply be a very good NHL player. He still likely goes in the top 5-10 of his draft year in a redraft.

Given that he is now cost controlled for the next two years, I don't see why the Rangers trade him for anything short of a strong offer. Something like what Dach went for.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It is a fair pt to note OP posture is Rs are looking to unload LaF and what is the max NY can get in that scenario.
It is fair to counter w/the construct I posted.
LaF as emerging Steve Vickers type, and factually true NY does not need to unload.
So respect courtesy to OP, but his premise is flawed and we do not have to accept less.

As I said, for EDM it is overpay, but it is currency they can live with.
.None of the guys I specified are stars. They have potential, but can afford to cough up.
How is Lafreniere emerging as a Steve Vickers type? Vickers already had a top 10 goals finish by his 3rd season.

It's almost impossible how out of touch this sounds.

If things don't change soon, his value could be almost worthless by this time next year. He's not exactly a gamble at 2.3M and his 5v5 production rates have declined each year. This could be the last off-season where he could potentially return a promising young player / higher draft pick. That could put even more pressure on the rangers to trade him before his value falls any lower.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
It is a fair pt to note OP posture is Rs are looking to unload LaF and what is the max NY can get in that scenario.
It is fair to counter w/the construct I posted.
LaF as emerging Steve Vickers type, and factually true NY does not need to unload.
So respect courtesy to OP, but his premise is flawed and we do not have to accept less.

As I said, for EDM it is overpay, but it is currency they can live with.
.None of the guys I specified are stars. They have potential, but can afford to cough up.
The premise may be flawed, but it’s the OP’s premise to unload him for the best value they can get.

But to make sure I understand where you’re coming from, in your own words, Edmonton must overpay by giving up current (non) stars, but rather players who have the potential…for another (non star) player but also one who just has the potential?

The Rangers best bet is to probably hope another team still sees him as a potential future star and hope to get as high of a draft pick as possible from that team.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If he was drafted anywhere outside the top 3, people would be happy with his progress. He's been a middle 6 winger who has consistently paced for close to 20 goals while starting in the NHL at 18. He also plays a hard nosed game and brings things away from scoring.

The problem is that he was hyped as a near-generational prospect, and it looks like he will simply be a very good NHL player. He still likely goes in the top 5-10 of his draft year in a redraft.

Given that he is now cost controlled for the next two years, I don't see why the Rangers trade him for anything short of a strong offer. Something like what Dach went for.
His 5v5 scoring rates have dropped every year, and he was completely invisible in last years playoffs.

He's definitely not top 5 in a redraft, and probably outside a lot of top 10s at this point.

Stutzle
Sanderson
Mercer
Perfetti
Raymond
Drysdale
Reichel
Jarvis
Guhle
Lundell
Quinn
Evangelista
Faber
Peterka
Askarov
Byfield
Levi

He's probably around 12-14th, but a lot of the guys beneath him are trending better

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Stutzle was the best pick of the 3

Don't really blame the Rangers for picking Laf, he was the consensus #1. But the Kings picking Byfield over Stutzle was the real stupid pick
I only say Byfield because I think the Rangers depth on wing is fine compared to center.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Check out his backchecking last night. I know it’s preseason, but oof. I guess he missed the part where he’s not a star who can rest on his laurels.

That was Pierre Luc-Dubois - like effort. That'll get you bench'd.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Curious to see if Lafreniere’s early struggles can be blamed on the Rangers’ impotent 5v5 play, log jam at LW and coaching carousel and whether other franchises think he still has untapped value.

Wanting to see what’s the top value Laf could fetch. Or what you’d be willing to move if Laf came with a pick/another young player, etc. What’s the most he could bring back heading into D+4 right now.
Given no waiver exemption left…you are looking at rubles.

it’s a trade for another did not meet expectations/ change of s energy type of player

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The premise may be flawed, but it’s the OP’s premise to unload him for the best value they can get.

But to make sure I understand where you’re coming from, in your own words, Edmonton must overpay by giving up current (non) stars, but rather players who have the potential…for another (non star) player but also one who just has the potential?

The Rangers best bet is to probably hope another team still sees him as a potential future star and hope to get as high of a draft pick as possible from that team.
The pt is, setting aside public relations coup and $$$ bonanza for not playing 2nd fiddle to Habs, etc, is that the upside of LaF to potentially be superior with elite talent already there is worth the risk of lost potential on the pieces they give up.

For Rs, it is better depth, speed and upside on Broberg cause they are gonna have to deal Lindgren.

disagree
enough multiple pieces are better IF they have sufficient upside

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State

He plays a hard nosed game and bring things away from scoring???

No. Nada. Not Even Close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad