Value of: Top 6 scoring winger to the Leafs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
If this is true you guys are in waaaaay bigger trouble than I imagined. A billion dollars on 4 top end scorers and scoring is an issue? wow

Yeah they aren't scpring like they usually do despite having a top 10 PP.

The PK and goaltending have been amazing

The main issue is Nick Ritchie has 0 goals, I wasn't expecting 30 from him but you can't have 0 goals 20 games in.

Not when Kase has 6, Kampf has 3, Bunting has 4 or 5

Ritchie and Engval are black holes offensively

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I don’t want to mess with the Canes Mojo and you always want an injury backup plan but with Jarvis looking like a slam dunk to stick with the big club a forward could come available.

Canes could make Nino Neids available but Canes are in win now mode so needs to be something decent coming back.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
If this is true you guys are in waaaaay bigger trouble than I imagined. A billion dollars on 4 top end scorers and scoring is an issue? wow
I’ll never understand why people offer opinions on stuff they clearly have no idea about lol.

How are you going to contribute to a discussion when you very clearly haven’t watched the leafs this year? Or last for that matter? They’ve had top 10 statistics the last 2 seasons defensively and lost in 7 games to Montreal, who only scored 14 times in those 7 games.

The big 4 are off to a slow start. That’s it. But the leafs are very solid defensively.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
I’ll never understand why people offer opinions on stuff they clearly have no idea about lol.

How are you going to contribute to a discussion when you very clearly haven’t watched the leafs this year? Or last for that matter? They’ve had top 10 statistics the last 2 seasons defensively and lost in 7 games to Montreal, who only scored 14 times in those 7 games.

The big 4 are off to a slow start. That’s it. But the leafs are very solid defensively.

If the big 4 are off to a slow start you dont need more scoring. you just need patience

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
I think the leafs best bet is just to build chemistry and stop trying to hit home runs during the trade deadline. If anything, they should a few smaller moves since last year they tried to go all in

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think the leafs best bet is just to build chemistry and stop trying to hit home runs during the trade deadline. If anything, they should a few smaller moves since last year they tried to go all in

They Didn't come anywhere close to going all in last year.

All in is what the Rams are doing in the NFL trading ALL the future to win now.

The Leafs didn't do that and have never done that under Shanny.

Yes they traded away a few picks but not a single prospect was traded, Amirov, Robertson, Niemla, Sandin, Lilly were all kept.

If the Leafs truly gone all in the cupboard would be completely bare but It's not

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
The Leafs need more scoring? Dont see it. Any moves by the Leafs should be made to help prevent goals against.

To be fair, the Leafs are presently the 2nd best team in the league from a GA/GP perspective, slightly ahead of the Hurricanes, and a good half a goal better than Pittsburgh who's 6th best. They are 17th when it comes to GF/GP.

That being said, the suggestion that the Leafs can upgrade by simply trading Engvall is incredibly flawed. If the Leafs get fully healthy, they will be $783k over the cap with a 22 man roster (13f, 7d). They can solve this short term by sending Liljegren to the AHL and running 6 D, but that is certainly not a sustainable solution. Even if they move Engvall, they do not have enough cap space to replace him with somebody making league minimum.

Ultimately, the Leafs do need to "figure something out" on the left side. Bunting's been as good as one could possibly ask for at $900k, but he's a passenger. If he's in your top 6, then it should result in a having a bigger force on the 3rd line. Kerfoot has been solid, but again, is more of a passenger who's biggest value is that he can be the #2C if somebody gets hurt. Ritchie has been a massive disappointment and squandered the potential career-making gift of playing in the Leafs top-6. Mikheyev hasn't played a game yet, and Engvall is more of a utility forward than a difference maker.

Realistically, the Leafs will wait until Mikheyev comes back to see what they have in him before making a move to upgrade the LW. If he doesn't work out, then you'll likely see him move to create the cap space to bring in somebody else. Maybe Dermott in favour of a more physical presence too, or Ritchie, but I suspect the Leafs will be looking for size if they move Ritchie.

Last edited:

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Is this a joke or sarcasm?

We have given up the third fewest goals in the league
the defense sucks, and leads the league in giveaways. just because it hasnt cost us games lately, doesnt mean it isnt a major issue.
come playoffs, those giveaways are often buried.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If the Leafs truly gone all in the cupboard would be completely bare but It's not

That's a bit of stretch. I don't think a GM has to trade away their entire future at one deadline to qualify for going "all in". The Leafs had already lost a handful of high round picks when they gave up another first and third at the deadline last year.

If not all in, Dubas certainly paid a big price, again considering their picks/prospect situation, on a deep run last summer.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Leafs need a top 6 LW that can score at 50% retained and a team that can take a couple smaller contracts back. Hard trade to make but there is one guy that fits this if Dubas is willing to make a deal with the Devil and that's Evander Kane. Other than that they would probably have to wait till closer to the deadline

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
Engvall and Mikheyev both need to go and both are not needed. Tired of watching Engvall give the puck away every possession. one of Holl and Dermott can also go. Both are not needed. Ritchie has proven useless. Bring on JT Miller. JT Miller fits nicely beside Tavares and Nylander.

There are lots of ways to make it work.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
I don’t want to mess with the Canes Mojo and you always want an injury backup plan but with Jarvis looking like a slam dunk to stick with the big club a forward could come available.

Canes could make Nino Neids available but Canes are in win now mode so needs to be something decent coming back.
I just don't see Canes and Leafs as fits for trading with each other. Needs to be a team that is on the outside looking in. JT Miller fits the bill. Rakell fits the bill. There are many players on weaker teams like Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver and to a lesser extent the Islanders and Blackhawks that have players that can be moved.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I just don't see Canes and Leafs as fits for trading with each other. Needs to be a team that is on the outside looking in. JT Miller fits the bill. Rakell fits the bill. There are many players on weaker teams like Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver and to a lesser extent the Islanders and Blackhawks that have players that can be moved.

For sure, and if Leafs are wanting retention then that's not really something the Canes would be willing to do either.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
This would really only work if they player is only making 2.5 after retention and the other team is willing to take Ritchie.

I don't really think Leafs should be paying an arm and leg for that. Feels like the lack of scoring in the playoffs is more of a mental block than anything else.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
To be fair, the Leafs are presently the 2nd best team in the league from a GA/GP perspective, slightly ahead of the Hurricanes, and a good half a goal better than Pittsburgh who's 6th best. They are 17th when it comes to GF/GP.

That being said, the suggestion that the Leafs can upgrade by simply trading Engvall is incredibly flawed. If the Leafs get fully healthy, they will be $783k over the cap with a 22 man roster (13f, 7d). They can solve this short term by sending Liljegren to the AHL and running 6 D, but that is certainly not a sustainable solution. Even if they move Engvall, they do not have enough cap space to replace him with somebody making league minimum.

Ultimately, the Leafs do need to "figure something out" on the left side. Bunting's been as good as one could possibly ask for at $900k, but he's a passenger. If he's in your top 6, then it should result in a having a bigger force on the 3rd line. Kerfoot has been solid, but again, is more of a passenger who's biggest value is that he can be the #2C if somebody gets hurt. Ritchie has been a massive disappointment and squandered the potential career-making gift of playing in the Leafs top-6. Mikheyev hasn't played a game yet, and Engvall is more of a utility forward than a difference maker.

Realistically, the Leafs will wait until Mikheyev comes back to see what they have in him before making a move to upgrade the LW. If he doesn't work out, then you'll likely see him move to create the cap space to bring in somebody else. Maybe Dermott in favour of a more physical presence too, or Ritchie, but I suspect the Leafs will be looking for size if they move Ritchie.

Strome extended upon receipt at reasonable 5ish per x 4 is a solution, and NY can help w/cap this yr.

But there is a disconnect betw. those who want to hold status quo
w/Kerfoot + Engvall + keep a 1st
as opposed to
Strome + Hajek + give the 1st

it is what it is unless/until there is unified consensus

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
As for everyone saying cap space, they can make moves. They'll have some cap at the deadline, move out guys like Engvall and others, can bring in other teams to retain salary like they have in the past.

Just want to know who is available at first.
They’re into LTIR cap overages. Which means they’re not accruing cap space. So no. They won’t have more cap space at the deadline

Cherry Picker

Sep 29, 2011
Strome extended upon receipt at reasonable 5ish per x 4 is a solution, and NY can help w/cap this yr.

as opposed to

Less than zero interest in Strome, even less at 5M a season

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

as opposed to

Strome, to Toronto, is a one-and-done rental. The Leafs simply do not have the space to resign him, and at 28 years old, he has little reason to take a massive discount to stay with the Leafs.

So yes, Kerfoot out, and Strome in at 50% retained would fix the Leafs short term cap issue, and provide a decent upgrade, but I doubt the Leafs are willing to pay their 1st round pick to do such a move.

As for Hajek, not seeing the appeal, at all. If the Leafs are adding a defenceman, it's likely to be a veteran, not a guy with just slightly more experience than Sandin/Liljegren.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Less than zero interest in Strome, even less at 5M a season
Acknowledge right to your opinion. Do not understand why standing pat w/Kerfoot instead.

Strome, to Toronto, is a one-and-done rental. The Leafs simply do not have the space to resign him, and at 28 years old, he has little reason to take a massive discount to stay with the Leafs.

So yes, Kerfoot out, and Strome in at 50% retained would fix the Leafs short term cap issue, and provide a decent upgrade, but I doubt the Leafs are willing to pay their 1st round pick to do such a move.

As for Hajek, not seeing the appeal, at all. If the Leafs are adding a defenceman, it's likely to be a veteran, not a guy with just slightly more experience than Sandin/Liljegren.

thanks for constructive feedback.

to clarify:
- I spoke of a 4ish yr new deal for Strome; he likely holds up into early 3os. Beyond that, I agree, buyer beware on long term contracts.
But I think 4 years is acceptably good value for a known commodity.

- Remember I said we could do a Pageau like sign and trade equivalent, so there would be no risk.
- I hear you as to why would Strome go there. Maybe you're right. Maybe he prefers an extra mil + from somewhere else. OTOH, guy is making good $, arguably good enuf $ he goes where he wants and he has a good chance at a cup. I view the dif as a legit discount, but not "massive". Open market I see him in the 6 range, 6.5 tops. He's not turning down 8m+ from elsewhere for Leafs, it's more like a mil-ish.

- As to Hajek, somewhere thought I specified this was a favor. If I'm sending Strome at half and taking back 2 salaries full pop 2/2 yrs each and I have to move them, you can take Hajek expiring at < 1m for depth so NY can balance the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad