Top 5 “can’t win with ‘em” players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I don't think there's anyone that you "can't win with" except maybe guys whose cap hit is so large relative to their skill that other good players can't be signed.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
How has Bo Horvat not been mentioned yet?

Dude is not someone you win with.
I actually disagree. He was a winner in Jr's. He's made the playoffs a handful of times, and he didn't do bad when he was there. The lack of making the playoffs isn't on one player, and the vancouver teams he lead were not well rounded teams, nor well coached, or well put together for that matter. Besides his contract demands, he's someone I'd want on my team in crunch time. Just my opinion

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
1. Matthews
2. Dubois, because Torts actually got a series win head to head with him against Matthews
3. Jeff Skinner
4. Huberdeau
5. Ehlers

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Doesn't Jeff Skinner own the all time record for regular season games played without playing in a playoff game? All of this with being a first line player the majority of his career...

I think it has to be him.

Reactions: pi314 and Astyanax

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Martin Rucinsky has a lower plus/minus than he has total playoff points.
Mike Stapleton has a career playoff points-per-game of 0.03

I'd take Thonrton and Matthews ove either of them AINEC. lol

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Agreed with the usual suspects -- PLD, Laine, anyone with the Maple Leafs crest on their jersey (hello Boston my old friend...). Also wonder if Hronek will soon get into that territory, when he gets his payday but doesn't show that he could be that guy even if he's paid like it.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
In honor of Mike Singletary’s epic rant, who are the top 5 guys you think you simply can’t win with in the playoffs?

It’s a bit different than worst contract or worst player- we’re looking for highly paid players in big roles who disappear.

For me:

1) Marner. Don’t believe in him come crunch time.
2) PLD. I wouldn’t trust him in big regular season games either.
3) Zibby/Panarin. 2 players.c 1 big disappointment.
4) Nurse. Dude is nervous and bad in playoffs. He’s lower because you can theoretically shelter him, whereas no one is gonna step up to fill offensive roles.
5) Petersson. Feels like he could turn around and be better.

Feels like I’m forgetting some forgettable performances, but lemme know what you think.

PS- and we shall not mention Jumbo. He didn’t fail the playoffs, the playoffs failed him.
So I'm assuming your criteria is 'must have been bad in 1 playoff season?'

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Martin Rucinsky has a lower plus/minus than he has total playoff points.
Mike Stapleton has a career playoff points-per-game of 0.03

I'd take Thonrton and Matthews ove either of them AINEC. lol
Lol. I had to look him up to properly understand what you meant. I was like,, 'lower +/- than points? So if he has say 30 pts he's at best +29?' But upon looking him up I see you mean his minus (-17) is higher than his points (14).

Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
In no particular order:
Laine
J. Skinner
Dubois
Barzal
Reilly
Totally agree on barzal. He’s clearly incredibly competitive, but equally arrogant, in the sense that he believes that having the puck on his stick gives his team the chance to win almost 100% of the time. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a guy so willing to carry the rock and pump shots at the net when it just isn’t working

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018
Jamie Benn is up there.
200w.gif

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
1. Duchene
2. Hall
3. Marner
4. Gaudreau
5. Huberdeau