Top 5 “can’t win with ‘em” players

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
In honor of Mike Singletary’s epic rant, who are the top 5 guys you think you simply can’t win with in the playoffs?

It’s a bit different than worst contract or worst player- we’re looking for highly paid players in big roles who disappear.

For me:

1) Marner. Don’t believe in him come crunch time.
2) PLD. I wouldn’t trust him in big regular season games either.
3) Zibby/Panarin. 2 players.c 1 big disappointment.
4) Nurse. Dude is nervous and bad in playoffs. He’s lower because you can theoretically shelter him, whereas no one is gonna step up to fill offensive roles.
5) Petersson. Feels like he could turn around and be better.

Feels like I’m forgetting some forgettable performances, but lemme know what you think.

PS- and we shall not mention Jumbo. He didn’t fail the playoffs, the playoffs failed him.

How did the playoffs fail Jumbo? And there’s a player that has over 700 goals that said that you can’t win with Jumbo.

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
It's not easy to win the Stanley Cup, not may players do it every year. Therefore I don't see the point with a thread like this

But if you are going to name someone I think you should name players who
1) played in teams that really were serious contenders multiple times
2) are old enough (at least close to 30) that they should have won by now given no (1)

Don't know if there are any such prime candidates ...

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Matthews/Marner and Tavares are the GOATs at this, nearly 40 million for 1 2nd round appearance in 8 years, not one of them is ppg or .5gpg

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Zibanejad? The guy who has a higher playoff scoring rate than regular season scoring rate, both this year and for his career?

One bad series does not a playoff dud make. Consider that if he was actually a playoff dud, the Rangers wouldn't be in the Eastern Conference Finals. I know a thing or two about that, I'm a Wild fan.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
When your 69 goal scorer being the highest paid player in the league can’t score in the big games to me he is the single biggest reason the leafs haven’t advanced and have only 1 playoff series win since he has been there.
Simply doesn’t have that win at all cost mentality.
Or it could be the Lea$s front office has tied way too much of their cap into 4 players and that has handicapped them in trying to build a NHL level defense and quality goal tender room

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Matthews between his play and even more so his contract shenanigans hard to build a deep team when you have to pay him an increasing amount every 3 or so years. He will demand 18 million x 4 when this contract is up

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
In honor of Mike Singletary’s epic rant, who are the top 5 guys you think you simply can’t win with in the playoffs?

It’s a bit different than worst contract or worst player- we’re looking for highly paid players in big roles who disappear.

For me:

1) Marner. Don’t believe in him come crunch time.
2) PLD. I wouldn’t trust him in big regular season games either.
3) Zibby/Panarin. 2 players.c 1 big disappointment.
4) Nurse. Dude is nervous and bad in playoffs. He’s lower because you can theoretically shelter him, whereas no one is gonna step up to fill offensive roles.
5) Petersson. Feels like he could turn around and be better.

Feels like I’m forgetting some forgettable performances, but lemme know what you think.

PS- and we shall not mention Jumbo. He didn’t fail the playoffs, the playoffs failed him.

I'd leave pettersson off the list. I thought he sucked this year, but nobody was complaining in the playoffs a few years ago when he put up 18 points in 17 games.

It's at least enough to make you want to wait and see before concluding on him

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Guys who probably would’ve been popular choices before they won:

Eichel
Kessel
Ovechkin
Kadri

There’s probably even better examples if we go back further than the last few years.

Yep. 3 years ago Evander Kane would have been on every list, now he's one win away from the Finals. There's no such thing as a player you can't win with. Many bad players have won the Cup. Players with shit personalities have won the Cup. Underperforming players with huge cap hits have won the Cup. If the rest of the lineup is good enough, it doesn't matter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad