Value of: Top 4 Defensive RHD That Can Make a Good Breakout Pass to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Getting back to OP focus about adding better D,
consider...
if NY sends Lindgren to ANA for Helleson + 2024 2nd
THEN
younger Lindy makes Fowler available.

Would Oil have interest in Fowler follow up [say that 5 times funkily fast!]
and if yes, at what price?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He’s no better than what Chiarot was a couple years ago and his injuries and age are leading him to a natural decline. His contract is an issue.

Are the Avs willing to eat 50% of his contract to extract any value?

Also, Chiarot on his current contract is a capdump. No one will trade for Chairot just as no one will trade for Manson without aa similar dump going the other way or significant retention or a massive sweetener.

Chiarot is definitely a cap dump with his current contract. I do wonder if a change of scenery might not rejuvenate him a little bit. It clearly just hasn't fit with Detroit...but he's definitely driven at least part way over that "age cliff". And his contract makes him pretty much impossible for anyone to even gamble on a bit of a rebound without massive retention for a bunch of years, which simply isn't going to happen.

Manson though, i think would still be able to be moved for "value" and without retention.

Injuries and that physical style of play have definitely seemed to take a bit of a toll on him, but he's still a big, physical, RHD who can play more of a stay-at-home game. That's something that half the teams in the league are desperately searching for. $4.5M for a couple more years really isn't unmanageable for that.

Heck, i'd take him on the Canucks at that price in the heartbeat. He'd be a terrific partner for Hughes. But he appears unlikely to want to play in Canada and controls a lot of his own destiny in that regard. So it's probably a moot point. For Vancouver, or for Edmonton.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Could David Savard fill a need? His best years are behind him, but can be a stabilizing veteran RD.

Biggest issue is making the cap work. Habs are unlikely to retain for 1.5 seasons, but could take back a contract like Foegle's. Otherwise the return will be in picks and EDM will just have to make the best offer around the deadline.

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
I doubt he has trade protection seeing as he has been traded twice in recent months and new teams don't have to honour protection once a player has waived it.
They changed that rule quite a while ago, players no longer lose their trade protection if they waive.

Zur En Arrh

Apr 16, 2022
No one is helping Edmonton (esp after being gifted a guy who backpacked another guy to numbers he'd never get on his own...never) if the Oilers want a rhd puck moving d man they're gonna have to pay..a lot..

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He’s no better than what Chiarot was a couple years ago and his injuries and age are leading him to a natural decline. His contract is an issue.

Are the Avs willing to eat 50% of his contract to extract any value?

Also, Chiarot on his current contract is a capdump. No one will trade for Chairot just as no one will trade for Manson without aa similar dump going the other way or significant retention or a massive sweetener.
Manson has actually been playing well, his fatal flaw last year was just not being able to stay healthy. I see him as LTIR candidate if it really hits south. Skills are still there.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I have been saying this in quantity to NYR could make sense b'c it is a unique fit;
- NY deals Lindgren, Bro adds to compete w/Robertson + Scanlin
- Hol MIGHT be a complementary fast bookend RW for Kreider

- tea begin with.
Today, they are not gonna command high return

I don't see other teams doing this
In English next time Bern. What trade are you proposing?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
In English next time Bern. What trade are you proposing?
1. My prop had an intro you cut out, which is fine but it provided context -- referencing OP, who per title is seeking D to EDM. [I had at one ptt illustrated that if Oil did my LaF deal, they could then be in position to follow up w/getting Gibson/Petry.

2. Scarcity of RD = slim pickins and so far no resistance by OP to go w/LD as fallback if acceptable RD, preferred, is not available.

3. As I illustrated, Lindgren to ANA makes sense b'c immediately quality add at cost of Helleson [not there yet] and a pick. Rs need the pick + RD prospect to replace Schneider who replaces Trouba

Makes sense for Ducks b'c can keep Fowler or, w/Lindgren as younger cheaper replacement now on roster, can deal Fowler

so that was my prop deal and I am pointing out that if Fowler is then available, does it want to bid, and if yes, what is the offer?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
1. My prop had an intro you cut out, which is fine but it provided context -- referencing OP, who per title is seeking D to EDM. [I had at one ptt illustrated that if Oil did my LaF deal, they could then be in position to follow up w/getting Gibson/Petry.

2. Scarcity of RD = slim pickins and so far no resistance by OP to go w/LD as fallback if acceptable RD, preferred, is not available.

3. As I illustrated, Lindgren to ANA makes sense b'c immediately quality add at cost of Helleson [not there yet] and a pick. Rs need the pick + RD prospect to replace Schneider who replaces Trouba

Makes sense for Ducks b'c can keep Fowler or, w/Lindgren as younger cheaper replacement now on roster, can deal Fowler

so that was my prop deal and I am pointing out that if Fowler is then available, does it want to bid, and if yes, what is the offer?
I still have no idea what you’re proposing.

• Haha
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Getting back to OP focus about adding better D,
consider...
if NY sends Lindgren to ANA for Helleson + 2024 2nd
THEN
younger Lindy makes Fowler available.

Would Oil have interest in Fowler follow up [say that 5 times funkily fast!]
and if yes, at what price?
This leaves Anaheim with a log jam on defense. They would only move for Lindgren if they know for sure they can move Fowler.

So two separate trades won't work. This needs to be a 3 way trade with additional picks and prospects to balance out needs and salary or it isn't realistic.

Rangers likely adding a fourth and sixth to Anaheim.

Oilers centre the trade for Fowler around three first rounders and cap dumps then they pair Bouchard and Fowler.

One first rounder or a prospect go from Anaheim to new York at the draft either this year or next or next after that.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
read my last sentence

if Lindy to Ana facilitates Fowler exit, is Oil interested in Fowler?
You'd trade Lindgren to Anaheim for Helleson and a 2nd? What does the NYR do to replace Lindgren? Helleson?

And what does Edmonton send to Anaheim to get Fowler?

Seems very half baked my dog.

By the way, your boy Alexandar Georgiev is F-ing incredible. The Avs have a very good team and a very good defense in front of him, but Georgiev is hands down the best goalie we've had since Roy.

No idea how the Rangers screwed this guy up. He's so obviously elite. Incredibly quick and consistent slide and athletic ability in net. He's poised and he's calm. Sakic ripped Drury's face off in that trade.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You'd trade Lindgren to Anaheim for Helleson and a 2nd? What does the NYR do to replace Lindgren? Helleson?

And what does Edmonton send to Anaheim to get Fowler?

Seems very half baked my dog.

By the way, your boy Alexandar Georgiev is F-ing incredible. The Avs have a very good team and a very good defense in front of him, but Georgiev is hands down the best goalie we've had since Roy.

No idea how the Rangers screwed this guy up. He's so obviously elite. Incredibly quick and consistent slide and athletic ability in net. He's poised and he's calm. Sakic ripped Drury's face off in that trade.
Bold: Rs need to invest in good RD prospect esp if Trouba moved when nmc->ntc next yr.
Have to stop favoring vets
even if no other deal LaF to EDM returning Broberg++
NY still has Robertson + Scanlin knockin at the door

underline: I was asking you + the board

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Bold: Rs need to invest in good RD prospect esp if Trouba moved when nmc->ntc next yr.
Have to stop favoring vets
even if no other deal LaF to EDM returning Broberg++
NY still has Robertson + Scanlin knockin at the door

underline: I was asking you + the board

There it is folks. Oilers defensive top 4 RHD has been solved by trading Broberg++ to get Laf. Send it in and plan the parade.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
There it is folks. Oilers defensive top 4 RHD has been solved by trading Broberg++ to get Laf. Send it in and plan the parade.
Glad to see you comin around!

Directly, obv this is not an immediate RD solution, let alone the unicorn sought by OP.

Indirectly, someone from your side, tryin to remember who, said Oil not good at developing Ws.
LaF for pieces creates room.
You are not getting top $$ for Broberg as is, he needs to where he would be a fit.
He is not a fit in NY unless Rs trade Lindy to Ana which is my recom.

Scarcity of RD makes OP direct route unproductive

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Glad to see you comin around!

Directly, obv this is not an immediate RD solution, let alone the unicorn sought by OP.

Indirectly, someone from your side, tryin to remember who, said Oil not good at developing Ws.
LaF for pieces creates room.
You are not getting top $$ for Broberg as is, he needs to where he would be a fit.
He is not a fit in NY unless Rs trade Lindy to Ana which is my recom.

Scarcity of RD makes OP direct route unproductive

It makes zero sense to trade a young d-man, who can play RD, for a top 6 winger that is not needed. Unless it's a clear overpayment and cap balances, Oilers simply cannot make this trade this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad