Value of: Top 4 Defensive RHD That Can Make a Good Breakout Pass to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
So you want a Top4dman who can defend and move the puck well...

A player like that likely won't be available until their team punts on their season at the trade deadline.

They've been looking for one for like 8 years. Dunno why they didn't move on DeAngelo when he's been available like 3 times in the last 3 years.

"Defensive RHD"

DeAngelo is a pylon

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
They don’t have the defensemen to play that system imo. You need smart two way D like Vegas.
But as you say, time will tell.
That’s what they’re up against trying to do this. You can’t have 4 of the 6 buy in. Has to be all 6. Nurse and Bouchard have played wide open games since Junior. What makes them who they are, is their 1 on 1 abilities. So that’s gonna be their tendencies when it gets hairy out there, and the pucks gonna end up in their own net, as we’ve seen. I’m still flipping a coin, but it’s a mess right now.

Reactions: BluesyShoes

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Trying t
don't ignore the rest of it
each team make out ok

Trying to make sense of everything... if I read it correctly (which I'm assuming I'm not), for Edmonton it comes down to:

Broberg, Holloway, MacLeod, Lavoie, 2024 1st, 2027 1st, 2029 1st, Campbell with retention for four years
for
Gibson, Petry (who doesn't want to come back), Laf, 6 mill in cap dumps and whatever the Oilers get from the Kings from Strome

I'm sorry, I don't see how that makes the Oilers better today or for the future.

- If Gibson was a clear upgrade, the Rangers trade is not needed
- Petry won't waive to come back
- Laf is not guaranteed to be better than Holloway
- We lose a young, 3rd line centre
- Lose a ton of futures
- Retain for 4 years on Campbell
- Take on cap dumps like Ghost who is not needed at all

What did I miss?

Last edited:
Reactions: capazzo

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
if i'm the oilers (and i am not), i'd aggressively target travis sanheim and hope he's willing to waive the ntc to get away from philly and be back in western canada. it would cost broberg, but he's signed for long enough and young enough that he's a guaranteed ekholm transition plan in the window that's relevant vs hoping broberg can become that in time for the big re-signings or before ekholm ages out.

ideally you can push ceci down or out of the lineup, but like everyone else has said, high quality rhd are near impossible to find. best bet imo is to free ekholm from bouchard and shift him over.

it's probably the only all-in move edmonton can make, so maybe you can get them to take campbell (while taking back ellis' salary and/or cal petersen's buried contract) to make the cap work and then add half of the prospect pool on top of broberg

sanheim - ekholm
nurse - ceci
kulak - bouchard

or

nurse - ekholm
sanheim - bouchard
kulak - ceci

bouchard still gets to clean up on the top unit but isn't as exposed at even strength against top matchups. the above looks like a contender calibre defense - what they have now is still short.

Reactions: Czechboy and M Ace

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Trying t

Trying to make sense of everything... if I read it correctly (which I'm assuming I'm not), for Edmonton it comes down to:

Broberg, Holloway, MacLeod, Lavoie, 2024 1st, 2027 1st, 2029 1st, Campbell with retention for four years
for
Gibson, Petry (who doesn't want to come back), Laf, 6 mill in cap dumps and whatever the Oilers get from the Kings from Strome

I'm sorry, I don't see how that makes the Oilers better today or for the future.

- Lose a ton of futures

What did I miss?
Missed this:
There are 2 dif threads discussing 2 issues: Oil G + Oil D.
This approach addresses both.
But the overpay is nec b'c Oil does not have acceptable futures to give up NOW to get Gibson NOW.
So you need a partner somewhere, somehow if Gibson is to be made real

That is not my fault assuming you are correct and my post is in response to other posters hoping to figure out how to acquire from DET when Wings have no reason to move.
At least Rs sending Trouba a yr early conceptually suggests DET at least thinks about moving Petry.

Nothing in life is a guarantee.
LaF underperformed to date, but basically skating, should be ok w/correct partners showing chemistry. It is Rangers who are taking risk w/underperformers, gambling on potential.
Broberg looks like he'll get there if we deal Lindgren and have him compete for 2LD/3LD mins, but there is no guarantee.
Holloway is only of interest b'c he is a fit as to being a righty shot who can RW and is fast soon paper, good bookend to Kreider. But no ?, Rs are taking a risk.

- Lose a ton of futures
McLeod + Lavoie are necessary sacrifices to make deal profitable enuf for NY to consider
The 3 1sts are all related to you getting Gibson

That is on you b'c you guys signed him for that much.
ANA doesn't want at all, you have to eat at least half, or cough up Skinner.
And EDM is the one with zero cap.

Must accept cap back for balance

CONCLUSION:

Don't shoot the messenger.
Oil made its bed, a respected Oil fan started this thread, and is seeking suggestions.

My pt, correctly made, is there no easy, painless solution.
Either bend over and stand pat and live with what Oil mgmt did
OR
take a chance that this will work out well

I would do some, not all of this OTERWISE if I were EDM
but
clock is ticking on McD, Drai

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Missed this:
There are 2 dif threads discussing 2 issues: Oil G + Oil D.
This approach addresses both.
But the overpay is nec b'c Oil does not have acceptable futures to give up NOW to get Gibson NOW.
So you need a partner somewhere, somehow if Gibson is to be made real

That is not my fault assuming you are correct and my post is in response to other posters hoping to figure out how to acquire from DET when Wings have no reason to move.
At least Rs sending Trouba a yr early conceptually suggests DET at least thinks about moving Petry.

Nothing in life is a guarantee.
LaF underperformed to date, but basically skating, should be ok w/correct partners showing chemistry. It is Rangers who are taking risk w/underperformers, gambling on potential.
Broberg looks like he'll get there if we deal Lindgren and have him compete for 2LD/3LD mins, but there is no guarantee.
Holloway is only of interest b'c he is a fit as to being a righty shot who can RW and is fast soon paper, good bookend to Kreider. But no ?, Rs are taking a risk.

- Lose a ton of futures
McLeod + Lavoie are necessary sacrifices to make deal profitable enuf for NY to consider
The 3 1sts are all related to you getting Gibson

That is on you b'c you guys signed him for that much.
ANA doesn't want at all, you have to eat at least half, or cough up Skinner.
And EDM is the one with zero cap.

Must accept cap back for balance

CONCLUSION:

Don't shoot the messenger.
Oil made its bed, a respected Oil fan started this thread, and is seeking suggestions.

My pt, correctly made, is there no easy, painless solution.
Either bend over and stand pat and live with what Oil mgmt did
OR
take a chance that this will work out well

I would do some, not all of this OTERWISE if I were EDM
but
clock is ticking on McD, Drai

Clock is ticking, but you haven't shown how this is an improvement at all. Gibson has had multiple bad years playing behind, what has been described as a subpar defense on the Ducks. The Oilers aren't defensively sound enough where you can assume he will be better. Why are we trading so much draft capital for a player that hasn't shown he can win with a bad defensive team, when in fact, we are a bad defensive team?

And... if we really wanted Gibson, we'd just overpay ourselves with our 3 1st round picks and keep all the youth you have the Oilers giving to the Rangers hoping Laf will be great. Top 6 isn't an issue which makes Laf a luxury, not a need. If I'm trading young assets, it's to improve on Ceci on the right side.

If Gibson and Petry are the solution, they could easily be had with draft capital without having to sacrifice Holloway, Broberg, McLeod or Lavoie.

3 1sts and Campbell for Gibson
A mid pick and Kulak for Petry

Done.

Reactions: capazzo

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Clock is ticking, but you haven't shown how this is an improvement at all. Gibson has had multiple bad years playing behind, what has been described as a subpar defense on the Ducks. The Oilers aren't defensively sound enough where you can assume he will be better. Why are we trading so much draft capital for a player that hasn't shown he can win with a bad defensive team, when in fact, we are a bad defensive team?

And... if we really wanted Gibson, we'd just overpay ourselves with our 3 1st round picks and keep all the youth you have the Oilers giving to the Rangers hoping Laf will be great. Top 6 isn't an issue which makes Laf a luxury, not a need. If I'm trading young assets, it's to improve on Ceci on the right side.

If Gibson and Petry are the solution, they could easily be had with draft capital without having to sacrifice Holloway, Broberg, McLeod or Lavoie.

Done.
you are not connecting the dots
IF Ducks would take late 1sts for Gibson you would be right.
They won't so you are wrong.

Given any EDM 1st is late, they want 3 1sts NOW-ish not next year and another 2 WAY down the road

As to wanting Gibson at all, that is responding to other posters here
Obv if you want better, assuming that G is available, you have to pay more.

Your prop on Petry is way underpriced for DET

Reactions: spockBokk

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
They've been looking for one for like 8 years. Dunno why they didn't move on DeAngelo when he's been available like 3 times in the last 3 years.
They need a defensive defenseman who can make a breakout pass. That isn't DeAngelo.

Done.
Petry was healthy scratched. I'm pretty sure that the pick is on the wrong side of that deal. I'm not sure if Gibson's value is much higher than Campbells at this point either. Huge contract, underperforming, not winning games. I mean, I know Anaheim needs some incentive to move him and as such would get something on top, but 3 1sts is...well ouch.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
if i'm the oilers (and i am not), i'd aggressively target travis sanheim and hope he's willing to waive the ntc to get away from philly and be back in western canada. it would cost broberg, but he's signed for long enough and young enough that he's a guaranteed ekholm transition plan in the window that's relevant vs hoping broberg can become that in time for the big re-signings or before ekholm ages out.

ideally you can push ceci down or out of the lineup, but like everyone else has said, high quality rhd are near impossible to find. best bet imo is to free ekholm from bouchard and shift him over.

it's probably the only all-in move edmonton can make, so maybe you can get them to take campbell (while taking back ellis' salary and/or cal petersen's buried contract) to make the cap work and then add half of the prospect pool on top of broberg

sanheim - ekholm
nurse - ceci
kulak - bouchard

or

nurse - ekholm
sanheim - bouchard
kulak - ceci

bouchard still gets to clean up on the top unit but isn't as exposed at even strength against top matchups. the above looks like a contender calibre defense - what they have now is still short.
I would do a deal for Sanheim for sure. I just don't see how the Oilers can make that money work. Ceci and Broberg for Sanheim only gets them half way there. Nobody is retaining for 8 years. The Oilers don't have much for cap dumps. Philly already took LA's monstrous goalie dump, they aren't doing that again to take Campbell, and he's really the only one.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I would do a deal for Sanheim for sure. I just don't see how the Oilers can make that money work. Ceci and Broberg for Sanheim only gets them half way there. Nobody is retaining for 8 years. The Oilers don't have much for cap dumps. Philly already took LA's monstrous goalie dump, they aren't doing that again to take Campbell, and he's really the only one.

they have ryan ellis on LTIRetirement being paid real cash for four more years, so that's one path - philly gets a million in real cash savings taking on campbell and dumping ellis. if you take petersen at his AHL hit of $3.85, i think moving broberg ($0.8) and foegle ($2.75) makes it workable this year, at least at the deadline.

edm in:
ellis (ltir) $6.25m
petersen $3.85m
sanheim $6.25m

cap in = $10.1m

edm out:
broberg $833k
foegele $2.75m
campbell $5m

cap out = $8.583m (and whatever broberg makes in bonuses which idk)

taking that huge cash commitment off philly's books, the oilers probably don't need to add that much for prospects/picks to get sanheim on top of broberg. at which point, can the oilers add enough to take a swing for hart vs petersen??

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sounds like Edmonton needs a Jeff Perry.
Let's just pretend that he'd be open to a return to Edmonton all of these years later. Would something like this work for Detroit?

To Edmonton: Petry and Rasmussen $304K retained ($3.5 million AAV)
To Detroit: Broberg, Foegele and a 2024 2nd Round Pick or Xavier Bourgault ($3.613 million AAV)

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
The Oil have been cursed since trading Gretzky at least that’s the way I experienced it. That move and what they did to Ryan Smyth chased me away.

For more than a decade they have just given lip service to D and goaltending. They have traded away nice forwards and made no headway in fixing there issues. Tiff years the eggs have been in the Nurse basket, as it runs out Nurse can be the best player on the ice one night and the next a minor league but, he is not team oriented 90% of the time. I’m torn one part of me would like to see the team return to relevance and part of me will never forgive the sins they committed long ago.

One thing is for sure the clock is ticking and they are more than a player or two away from being a team that can make a multi year run. Soon the Cap is going to choke them . Being impartial they are headed to the same situation Toronto is in.

Reactions: Czechboy

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
They need a defensive defenseman who can make a breakout pass. That isn't DeAngelo.

Petry was healthy scratched. I'm pretty sure that the pick is on the wrong side of that deal. I'm not sure if Gibson's value is much higher than Campbells at this point either. Huge contract, underperforming, not winning games. I mean, I know Anaheim needs some incentive to move him and as such would get something on top, but 3 1sts is...well ouch.
He is referencing my prop which had 2 presum late Oil 1sts from WAY WAY down the road for 2 prospects you need now to entice ANA.
Instead adding those 2 very delayed 1sts to your current 2024 1st is not enuf inducement for Ducks.

The pieces I sought for LaF where a unique fit for Rs.
Would they suffice to ANA for Gibson?
Not certain...
Also this thread is about adding an RD and so far only one that is a fit is Petry.

I had a follow thru which enabled Pet from DET

Comprehensive solutions are not easy...

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Goaltending is another story. The Oilers IMO badly need a rugged defense oriented RHD that looks after his own end while Nurse does what Nurse does (for the good and the bad). Naturally this won't be coming from a team with playoff aspirations this early in the season. Who fits this description and what would it cost the Oilers to trade for him?
How can the oilets afford such player, players you are offering team would not like. To get the player u want? Nuge, kane, Hyman or Leon would need to be in play

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
you are not connecting the dots
IF Ducks would take late 1sts for Gibson you would be right.
They won't so you are wrong.

Given any EDM 1st is late, they want 3 1sts NOW-ish not next year and another 2 WAY down the road

As to wanting Gibson at all, that is responding to other posters here
Obv if you want better, assuming that G is available, you have to pay more.

Your prop on Petry is way underpriced for DET

Healthy scratched Petry does not have the value you think. He was just traded for a 2025 conditional 4th round pick and a minor league d-man and since then, he has gotten magically better.

I still don't see how the Rangers fit into this at all. The Oilers have 1st round picks and reasonable prospects where if they absolutely wanted Gibson, they can do it without giving all their youth to the Rangers.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Healthy scratched Petry does not have the value you think. He was just traded for a 2025 conditional 4th round pick and a minor league d-man and since then, he has gotten magically better.

I still don't see how the Rangers fit into this at all. The Oilers have 1st round picks and reasonable prospects where if they absolutely wanted Gibson, they can do it without giving all their youth to the Rangers.
agree to disagree

• Haha
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Kyungnam

Feb 13, 2010
Edmonton
You understand they won a cup without Gretzky

The Oil have been cursed since trading Gretzky at least that’s the way I experienced it. That move and what they did to Ryan Smyth chased me away.

For more than a decade they have just given lip service to D and goaltending. They have traded away nice forwards and made no headway in fixing there issues. Tiff years the eggs have been in the Nurse basket, as it runs out Nurse can be the best player on the ice one night and the next a minor league but, he is not team oriented 90% of the time. I’m torn one part of me would like to see the team return to relevance and part of me will never forgive the sins they committed long ago.

One thing is for sure the clock is ticking and they are more than a player or two away from being a team that can make a multi year run. Soon the Cap is going to choke them . Being impartial they are headed to the same situation Toronto is in.
You understand they won a cup after trading Gretzky.

Reactions: Oilers88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad