Value of: Top 4 Defensive RHD That Can Make a Good Breakout Pass to Edmonton

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The dream is that Broberg improves enough to not make this necessary.

Reality isn't matching the dream right now.

Columbus has some good D on the block. Boqvist is a guy I'd kick tires on for Foegele. Not sure if he's RD and I know he isn't beloved on HF.lol
By the time your dream of Broberg comes true if it does, McDavid and Drai would either be on another team or making league max which would also mean you would have to trade the much improved Broberg due to cap issues

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
By the time your dream of Broberg comes true if it does, McDavid and Drai would either be on another team or making league max which would also mean you would have to trade the much improved Broberg due to cap issues
Not really my dream... I think when you draft a Dman in top 10 that you expect him to start delivering right about now and, hopefully, by playoffs. He seems to be on track tbh. Definitely didn't explode but here are the other D taken in his draft.

1697390090434.png

Definitely not a Seider or Byram.lol

I feel the same about Holloway who is due to start making an impact given his draft position. It's a long season. First rounders that age do develop and get better. He's obviously not there yet.

I also didn't realize McD and Drai were leaving anytime soon... did I miss a tweet?lol

• Haha
Reactions: Sniper99

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They don’t have the defensemen to play that system imo. You need smart two way D like Vegas.
But as you say, time will tell.
Wouldn't switching to zone actually be (theoretically) easier for defensemen that lack IQ? Man on man can be confusing when the other team is buzzing all around and you can lose track of who your man is supposed to be, but with zone you know you're responsible for a certain section of ice at all times no matter what the other team does.

Reactions: Junohockeyfan

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Not really my dream... I think when you draft a Dman in top 10 that you expect him to start delivering right about now and, hopefully, by playoffs. He seems to be on track tbh. Definitely didn't explode but here are the other D taken in his draft.

View attachment 753277

Definitely not a Seider or Byram.lol

I feel the same about Holloway who is due to start making an impact given his draft position. It's a long season. First rounders that age do develop and get better. He's obviously not there yet.

I also didn't realize McD and Drai were leaving anytime soon... did I miss a tweet?lol
Broberg isn’t even a full time bottom pairing guy, I don’t see him suddenly being a top 4 guy.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Steve Vickers won the Calder and was in the 80s points wise by his 3rd year. Laf is NOWHERE NEAR that and never will be. ...
He's obv not producing that now, I didn't say he was.
Said that is his ceiling.
Doesn't matter if he's yr or so behind SV schedule.
As long as he gets there sooner than later.
Shows slow improvement, not impossible to be derailed/regress, but currently trending upward.

that is reality

• Haha
Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
He's obv not producing that now, I didn't say he was.
Said that is his ceiling.
Doesn't matter if he's yr or so behind SV schedule.
As long as he gets there sooner than later.
Shows slow improvement, not impossible to be derailed/regress, but currently trending upward.

that is reality

keep drinking that Kool-Aid I guess

if Laf puts out another ~40ish point season, he wont be a Ranger next year.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Broberg isn’t even a full time bottom pairing guy, I don’t see him suddenly being a top 4 guy.
Who's the full time bottom pairing guy? Who's ahead of him for 5/6?

You don't think expecting an 8th overall pick to get to top 4 is realistic? Eg. I don't expect Niem or Desharnais to ever be top 4 D in the NHL.

There is sudden (expect it next game) and there is 80 games from now.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
They’re trying to change to a zone system. The worst thing you can do, is bring more new bodies into the equation unless they’re from zone systems already. Especially to cover for Nurse. That would mean, he’s not buying into the system and it won’t matter who you pair him with. The entire system collapses when they don’t all buy in.

If they’re still this bad after 10-12 games, they’re not buying in, and they have some big problems. It’s still new to them though, so you have to give them a chance to figure it out. With the talent they have, if they do figure it out, they’re gonna be in great shape.
The talent that we have? We have 3 talented defenders: Bouchard, Ekholm and Nurse. Of the 3 only Ekholm is a solid all around defenseman, the other 2 have holes in their games. I wanted an upgrade on Ceci going back to last season, instead Holland sat on his hands and now we are reaping the "rewards" of his inactivity as a GM.
Watch Woody put Desharnais with Nurse.
I doubt that Desharnais can handle the minutes and he sure as hell can't make a good breakout pass.
Boston likely looking to move Gryzlyck. Guy can break a puck out and was top4 on all-time best team last year.
What does he bring to the table? Can he play RD? I never realized that he was only 5'9" tall.
Just shorten the title of the thread and leave out the part about the breakout pass.
Nope, need the ability to have a good breakout pass since Nurse doesn't and tends to ice it a lot.
Ethan Bear ;)

If his IQ is really low then would any system help at all? He is equal to our Myers and yet Myers looked better than him in the first 2 games. We complain about giving 6 mil to Myers because of his crap D, I just can't imagine giving 9.5 mil for Myers level of defensive play lol. Good job Holland
Probably better than a couple of our option TBH. Nurse likely wants to play the rover role so it's on coaching and on him IMO.
Nurse does what Nurse does? Or the simple solution which isn't that simple would be to trade Nurse. Solves all the problems and would not worry about who would need to babysit Nurse.
His contract is almost immovable and he is close friends with Connor and Leon. I doubt this would be on the table unless Connor and/pr Leon either leave or are signed to long term extensions and Nurse is seen as the piece holding us back from winning Cups.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Who's the full time bottom pairing guy? Who's ahead of him for 5/6?

You don't think expecting an 8th overall pick to get to top 4 is realistic? Eg. I don't expect Niem or Desharnais to ever be top 4 D in the NHL.

There is sudden (expect it next game) and there is 80 games from now.
At some point draft pedigree means jack squat. We are very close to that point with Broberg now.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Totally agree. Long season and hopefully he stays healthy and makes gains.
Ideally we add an upgrade on RD and then have Broberg develop and kill it on the 3rd pairing so that his next contract keeps low. All that I know is that I don't see any of our current D being an ideal fit for Nurse except maybe Ekholm and we need him to help balance out Bouchard's game.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Otherwise something like Peeke + a bottom six F from Columbus for picks/prospects is more plausible. One of Kulak or Ceci would still need to be moved in that scenario, but both are fairly portable contracts given the lack of movement clauses and crippling term.

The Jackets would be all about moving players for picks. Or even taking on some dead cap. Taking on Kulak or Ceci themselves kind of defeats the purpose though, they're trying to make roster space so kids like Jiricek can come up.

Columbus has some good D on the block. Boqvist is a guy I'd kick tires on for Foegele. Not sure if he's RD and I know he isn't beloved on HF.lol

Boqvist and Peeke are both RD and both are available. The trouble is that Boqvist isn't defensively inclined and Peeke can't make a good breakout pass. Peeke really only works if you have him next to a guy who will do all the breakouts. Not really Nurse? Boqvist might take a step? Still super young. But as of now he is an offensive D that I wouldn't want in a playoff game.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
They've been looking for one for like 8 years. Dunno why they didn't move on DeAngelo when he's been available like 3 times in the last 3 years.
Guess you missed this part:
The Oilers IMO badly need a rugged defense oriented RHD that looks after his own end

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Petry not likely available now except for overpayment = conventional wisdom
Outside the box solution:
DET has 4.4M cap, so not much more than 4 works w'o balance

Panarin makes only .6ish more than Doughty, bread has 1 yr less term + is younger
That may/may not be enuf incentive, could be on paper.
Kings prob also want Strome who always had cheistry w/bread cheap
Rs are not acquiring Strome.
But ducks have Carlson, Zegras, MacTavish as a young pivot core, so he can be had fdor a profit.
Oil also want Gibson for net
Oil lack assets to acquire

1st deal:
Rs send LaF + Jones + cap dump Leshitshow [<1m expires next yr]
to Oil for
Broberg, Holloway, MacLeod + Lavoie

this works for Oil b'c LaF, moving forward, if sufficient skating now showing is another Steve Vickers who is a marketing coup, and the price paid are currently secondary pieces or not on the roster.
For NY, lower cost youth w/speed + upside

2. MY sends higher elc prospects McConnell-Barker and Sykora to Oil for EDM 2027 and 2029 1sts
This is otherwise overpayment to extent 1sts are above the draft positions, but mitigated by can is kicked WAY down the road.

3. Oil can now do their own 2024 1st + McConnell-Barker and Sykora + Campbell max retained 4 yrs down from 5 to 2.5 per
to ANA for
Gibson + Strome
build move by Ducks, Oil get G and trade item

4. 3 way, Oil, NY, LA
Kings get Panarin + Strome
Rs get Doughty
Oil get ____________ from LA for Strome

5 Trouba wil likely go next yr due to cap, and DET was only preferred destination besides NYR before he signed.
w/Fox/Doughty/Schneider as RD can do Trouba to Red Wings which enables Petry to Oil

3 way:
later cond 2024 or 2025 BOS pick + Rassmusen to NYR
NYR Trouba + NYR 2024 2nd + Jones via OIL to DET
Petry + about 6m cap dumps [maybe Kostin + Ghostb?] to EDM

That ballpark works $$ wise
Oil get netminder + usefful LD+RD now

other clubs, benes is as described
=================
after this, NYR deal Lindgren to ANA for RD prospect Helleson + 2024 2nd
this allows Ducks to move older Fowler replace w/younger Lindy
Rs LD = KAM, Gust and Broberg/Robertson/Scanlin for 3LD and compete for 2Ld w/1 reserve
This was like reading hieroglyphics.

Reactions: ESH and capazzo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad