Top-200 Hockey Players of All-Time - Preliminary Discussion Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I hope those who navel gaze realize the ATDs OVERrepresent defensemen due to team-building needs.

In terms of all-time greatness, MANY yearly top-200 ATD dmen are not as great as many non-top-200 drafted forwards. (It's just a question of supply and demand in drafts.)

Reactions: quoipourquoi

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
I don't have them on my list.

I just keep thinking of players that were very good but I can't fit in. I thought this would be easier than the top 100 but it really isn't, for me anyway.

I knew that this would be more difficult and I'm glad we are doing this project ( and that I suggested it). :laugh: It's a lot more easier to determine a top 10,20, etc sort of list. Much, much harder to do this type of list due to the fact that there are so many different variables in something like this.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
To my last point:

No Desjardins, Konstantinov, Cameron (three ATD top-200 picks out of positional/skill set need).

Yes to MacKay, Hawerchuk, Sundin (never top-200 ATD draft picks due to positional wealth of options!).

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
To my last point:

No Desjardins, Konstantinov, Cameron (three ATD top-200 picks out of positional/skill set need).

Yes to MacKay, Hawerchuk, Sundin (never top-200 ATD draft picks due to positional wealth of options!).

Agree on the Dmen and for Dale and Mats.

Mickey is in the mix with a boatload of other centers that are very hard to separate.

That being said I think that he has a better chance and resume than some of his PCHA centers also in the mix.

Reactions: Dirt 101

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I knew that this would be more difficult and I'm glad we are doing this project ( and that I suggested it). :laugh: It's a lot more easier to determine a top 10,20, etc sort of list. Much, much harder to do this type of list due to the fact that there are so many different variables in something like this.

I didn't think that I wouldn't enjoy it, but I'm enjoying this particular project more than I expected I would. Its scope is incredibly wide, and there are so many options to choose from, which makes it an excellent educational opportunity. One interesting thing about it is that one person's "no way" could do fairly well on someone else's list.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
To my last point:

Konstantinov was just a bad pick.

Harry Cameron has a pretty good shot at the tail end of my list.

Agree with your greater point that the ATD places a high value on defensemen and shouldn't be used as a "top players" list.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Konstantinov was just a bad pick.

Harry Cameron has a pretty good shot at the tail end of my list.

Agree with your greater point that the ATD places a high value on defensemen and shouldn't be used as a "top players" list.

I will say that I found the ATD threads very informative on Cameron, and as such, he's also got a shot at making my list. Obviously, I knew about his offensive capability, but I found the discussion of his defensive prowess rather enlightening. He was apparently better at that aspect of his game than I previously realized. I value those threads for informative purposes.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
To my last point:

I might have Cameron out of your no's. I have the same order as your yes players, but I'm sure that they are very far apart.

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
But what is the most damning, Nový lost his regular spot in the CSSR's lineup in the middle of his prime. After Nový won the league scoring for 3rd time in a row, Nový found himself as a mere luxurious reserve player. He did play 9 (4+0) games at '78 WHC but with very limited ice-time. Same thing happened at '79 WHC, if I remember correctly, where he played just 5 games (0+2).

So where was the problem? There was no issue whatsoever with Nový's attitude. CSSR coaches were simply betting on club-chemistry. Tesla Pardubice line (xxx-Novak-Martinec) was set, Slovan Bratislava line (Šťastný brothers) was set, and Ivan Hlinka as the captain and natural leader in his prime was set to lead his line with whomever. Other than this, coach Karel Gut in the post-WHC 1978 interview said that he himself expected and intended to play Nový as a wing but found out that Nový is simply unable to employ his shooting qualities in any other position than center properly... That was it.

Thank you for the insight. And I can now understand a bit better why I used to consider (admittedly erroneously) Hlinka a better player.

BTW, I'm not a participant in the project, but these discussions about the Czechoslovak and Soviet players have gotten me (re)watching many available USSR-CSSR games. Hopefully I'll have some energy to create something out of that in form of a thread in the distant future.

Last edited:
Reactions: DN28

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I think TWO Toronto Maple Leaf forwards belong on the top 101-200 list, and one of them is spelt S-u-n-d-i-n.

Don't sleep on his international resume.

Reactions: wetcoast

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Harry Cameron would definitely make my list. If anything he is more valuable in the projects than he is in the ATDs (where he is still very valuable but underrated, so risky).

Think of him as the early Paul Coffey; just as electrifying, as much as a game-breaking talent, great playoff performer, uncoachable for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: ted2019

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
My top players right now would be Eddie Gerard and Serge Savard.

Hope they rank #101 and #102 straight up. Should have made the Top 100 but that ship has sailed.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
My top players right now would be Eddie Gerard and Serge Savard.

Hope they rank #101 and #102 straight up. Should have made the Top 100 but that ship has sailed.

Did Gerard play wing as well as defense?

Serge Savard, 7 time Cup winner, Conn Smythe winner, 6th all-time in plus/minus.

But, only a second team all-star once. Canadiens were 12-2 in the playoffs the year he won the Conn Smythe and several others could have won it. Most of his career he was partnered with either Larry Robinson or Jacques Laperriere. Guy Lapointe, the other member of the big three, was a first team all-star once and second team three times. Montreal was perhaps the best team ever during part of Savard's career, the rest of his time there they only won the Cup three other times.

Yes, I think you are overrating Serge a bit.

Reactions: wetcoast

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Did Gerard play wing as well as defense?

Serge Savard, 7 time Cup winner, Conn Smythe winner, 6th all-time in plus/minus.

But, only a second team all-star once. Canadiens were 12-2 in the playoffs the year he won the Conn Smythe and several others could have won it. Most of his career he was partnered with either Larry Robinson or Jacques Laperriere. Guy Lapointe, the other member of the big three, was a first team all-star once and second team three times. Montreal was perhaps the best team ever during part of Savard's career, the rest of his time there they only won the Cup three other times.

Yes, I think you are overrating Serge a bit.

Gerard played LW until about 1918, then became a top defenseman and team captain during the Ottawa dynasty. If you're asking whether he was as good at LW as he was at D, the answer would be no, but he was still good. Gerard was already known as a coveted all-around athlete when he was signed by Ottawa (to a big contract right off the bat).

Savard was ranked over both Robinson and Lapointe by Scotty Bowman and was obviously more of a defensive general, which doesn't help amass Norris and AST votes. Furthermore, Savard was a big game player perhaps more than any defenseman from his era, including Orr and Potvin (who were just better players, not necessarily better big game players).

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Gerard played LW until about 1918, then became a top defenseman and team captain during the Ottawa dynasty. If you're asking whether he was as good at LW as he was at D, the answer would be no, but he was still good. Gerard was already known as a coveted all-around athlete when he was signed by Ottawa (to a big contract right off the bat).

Savard was ranked over both Robinson and Lapointe by Scotty Bowman and was obviously more of a defensive general, which doesn't help amass Norris and AST votes. Furthermore, Savard was a big game player perhaps more than any defenseman from his era, including Orr and Potvin (who were just better players, not necessarily better big game players).

Dryden stated in his book that Lapointe was the most important of the Big Three.

Poor Larry, you'd think his last name was Fine.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think TWO Toronto Maple Leaf forwards belong on the top 101-200 list, and one of them is spelt S-u-n-d-i-n.

Don't sleep on his international resume.

I'm guessing the second Leaf forward rhymes with some obscure WWII figure?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Dryden stated in his book that Lapointe was the most important of the Big Three.

Poor Larry, you'd think his last name was Fine.

Agreed, there are reasons to like Serge Savard and he is definitely on the list for this project, although perhaps not at 101 or 102, but using the Scotty Bowman list isn't a very good one as his list was simply atrocious in a lot of ways.

In fact if we had a top 100 Canadian NHLers project at the time Bowman's list came out, his list would probably be returned for revisions it had such obvious problems.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Agreed, there are reasons to like Serge Savard and he is definitely on the list for this project, although perhaps not at 101 or 102, but using the Scotty Bowman list isn't a very good one as his list was simply atrocious in a lot of ways.

In fact if we had a top 100 Canadian NHLers project at the time Bowman's list came out, his list would probably be returned for revisions it had such obvious problems.

Coaches always appreciate the defensive players more.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Great minds think alike. I have Savard and Berry. I have Gerard at #94 ( decided to re-do my top 100 2018 list for the project also).

I need to hear more about Gerard. I didn't have him on my list, I'm ashamed to say. There just aren't a lot of metrics or much data, to really place him. Obviously, his legacy is insane. I would love it if anyone had a more modern comp for him so I could better understand his value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad