Top 20 Quebecers in the NHL

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Yes they would? I'm bilingual and I would have a problem with a business that doesn't care about the national language. Anyway, it just doesn't make sense at all business wise. Businessmen don't get stuck thinking "I speak ENGLISH and I don't care about the customers who don't understand ME!!!" This would be plain stupid.

Businesses adapt to their market. It's not the other way around.

You want to do business in Sweden? Learn Swedish! Do advertising in Swedish, hire staff that speaks Swedish. Even if 50% of the population can understand English to varying degrees. Would you go to Africa and target "white customers only"? No right! That would be dumb. And mostly, it would be quite insensitive to the locals.

I don't even know what there is to argue here. It's just common sense capitalism.
I agree with your entire point wholeheartedly I just want to point out the funny fact that Sweden actually has a higher % of their population that speaks English than Canada.

Reactions: Bradely

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
So 51.7 % of the province that speaks English regularly in Quebec shouldn't be considered?

If a business, like the board game store is at the mercy of both the language police and the other companies who don't print their products in both languages and thus go under because of the severe limitations of what's now available to them and thus the customer, you're applauding it?

In the end, all I'm hearing is "f*** that store and the owner".
I don't know where you took your numbers..... just saying.

Bold part, if a business owner dislike the French factor, French culture in Québec, and does not give a shit about me and mine, than my answer is YES he can get the f... o....

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don't know where you took your numbers..... just saying.

Bold part, if a business owner dislike the French factor, French culture in Québec, and does not give a shit about me and mine, than my answer is YES he can get the f... o....
I think if you own a specialty store, you don’t have the financial authority to make political statements and potentially alienate your demographic. If you think the store owner made the choices he did as some sort of a statement and not because they sell what they are able to obtain, well, i guess that’s on brand with how most French québécois think. Very little rational logic and everything a personal attack.

It was never a case of the store ONLY having English games. They sold both, but the OQLF said a) the owner cannot talk to customers in English, b) they cannot sell games that don’t have a French translated version and c) cannot sell English games if the French version is sold out.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
I think if you own a specialty store, you don’t have the financial authority to make political statements and potentially alienate your demographic. If you think the store owner made the choices he did as some sort of a statement and not because they sell what they are able to obtain, well, i guess that’s on brand with how most French québécois think. Very little rational logic and everything a personal attack.

It was never a case of the store ONLY having English games. They sold both, but the OQLF said a) the owner cannot talk to customers in English, b) they cannot sell games that don’t have a French translated version and c) cannot sell English games if the French version is sold out.
My father talk to the man who told him someone heard someone saying this and this and this......

I would like to investigate the case you are referring to, in all its angle, not only your appreciation of it or of what you heard. Usely, I come down to a WAY different conclusion........

You seem to be from Vegas if I am correct. What's your take on Trump!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Soccer has surpassed hockey in the Province :

''Football (Soccer) has always been popular in Québec and has emerged as the youth sport of choice for parents across the province. Both boys (97,000) and girls (42,000) football registrations continue to surpass that of hockey. According to Hockey Canada's annual report, 69,000 boys and 6,840 girls played youth hockey in the 2022-23 season.''

I dont think soccer having higher participation rates than hockey is unique to Quebec. Correct me if wrong, but soccer has traditionally had higher participation rates on national level.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
My father talk to the man who told him someone heard someone saying this and this and this......

I would like to investigate the case you are referring to, in all its angle, not only your appreciation of it or of what you heard. Usely, I come down to a WAY different conclusion........

You seem to be from Vegas if I am correct. What's your take on Trump!!!!!

I'm in Vegas but was born in the West Island.

I loathe the man, but have a general disdain for all politicians. I believe in the concept of a New World Order. The rich get richer.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019

Read on the “Frenchification of Brussels”, this is exactly what would happen in Montreal without language laws (in favour of English)

By advocating for “free market” business language you’re being an Anglophone chauvinist without even realizing it. When you are the linguistic majority and lingua Franca, it’s easy to say “let people decide and see where we end up”, we all know where it’s ending up. Most French Montrealer won’t care to be served in English in their day to day but 50 years down the road, they’d be devastated to see French All but gone.

It’s actually sad how little cultural awareness anglophones have sometime. For anybody not an anglophone, language is a huge part of culture because it creates a cultural enclave. A québécois or a Pole or an Italian have access to a local culture you know nothing about, and we’d like to keep it for our grandchildren, but thanks for your concern.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Quebec isn't a nation, it's a province. It exists with 9 other provinces and 3 territories to make up a country.

This belief that francophones are struggling to survive is a myth that gets perpetrated by charlatans and believed by the ignorant.

Nobody on the English side is trying to impose anything whether in or outside of Quebec. However the Quebec government, regardless of party, is trying to impose what language people speak at home, in public, or in business/institutions.
I call it the great Canadian paradox how Canadians who call themselves “multiculutral” have such cultural illiteracy.

nation :

a large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory.

250k migrants per year * 30 years > current French Québécois population. Think about it, that is what you call “doing nothing”. The largest population growth in the f***ing world save 2-3 African countries. Demography is destiny and Canada is screwing us on that front. Forcing them into French school is the bare minimum and the only hope of maintaining French.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Soccer has surpassed hockey in the Province :

''Football (Soccer) has always been popular in Québec and has emerged as the youth sport of choice for parents across the province. Both boys (97,000) and girls (42,000) football registrations continue to surpass that of hockey. According to Hockey Canada's annual report, 69,000 boys and 6,840 girls played youth hockey in the 2022-23 season.''
That doesn't mean much of anything. If anything, I'd be surprised if soccer WASN'T ahead of hockey.

Even when I was a kid back when Canadians made up the majority of all nationalities in the NHL than any other country combined (about 60% at the time), few of my friends played hockey. But many of them, even those who grew up to hate soccer, played that in their youth. AFAIK soccer has always been ahead of hockey as far as youth registration goes many because of affordability.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
That doesn't mean much of anything. If anything, I'd be surprised if soccer WASN'T ahead of hockey.

Even when I was a kid back when Canadians made up the majority of all nationalities in the NHL than any other country combined (about 60% at the time), few of my friends played hockey. But many of them, even those who grew up to hate soccer, played that in their youth. AFAIK soccer has always been ahead of hockey as far as youth registration goes many because of affordability.
Hell even where I am from pretty much every kid plays soccer early. Kickers level soccer is the ultimate 'first sport' IMO. Zero direction, no goalies, everyone just chases the ball all over. It's the easiest and cheapest to play when little, and it's much easier to 'teach' then any other sport since 'chase the ball and try to kick it through these two cones' is enough to get kids playing something resembling the sport.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Imagine having to do business in French in a French speaking jurisdiction? Or worse, doing business in Japanese in Japan? In Swedish in Sweden? Is this really what you call "fascist"???

I would argue that trying to impose your dominant English language to a small nation that's struggling to survive is a lot closer to the F word than the other way around.
Do you think Quebec is a country or something lmao , small nation trying to survive is insane.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
Because every time there was a threat of separatism the province declined in quality of life not to mention the value of homes dwindled significantly. My folks waited until things were rosy again before selling. When things were bad and the language police were at their most fascist, things got ugly.
Jesus. People like you make me sad.

That being said, don't worry, there won't be any such threat anymore. Younger generations, including mine, don't care much about separating from Canada at this point.

So what is Quebec producing these days anyway?
A large number of Canada's medals at the Winter Olympics.

Check your facts again. Québec is a nation as recognized by the Canadian Parliament. I stopped reading after that. No point in arguing with someone who makes his own facts.
Read on the “Frenchification of Brussels”, this is exactly what would happen in Montreal without language laws (in favour of English)

By advocating for “free market” business language you’re being an Anglophone chauvinist without even realizing it. When you are the linguistic majority and lingua Franca, it’s easy to say “let people decide and see where we end up”, we all know where it’s ending up. Most French Montrealer won’t care to be served in English in their day to day but 50 years down the road, they’d be devastated to see French All but gone.

It’s actually sad how little cultural awareness anglophones have sometime. For anybody not an anglophone, language is a huge part of culture because it creates a cultural enclave. A québécois or a Pole or an Italian have access to a local culture you know nothing about, and we’d like to keep it for our grandchildren, but thanks for your concern.
I read all of the posts that went back and forth in this thread, and what it comes down to is that it is indeed difficult for majority groups to understand the experience and perspective of minority groups. Native English speakers in NA tend to have a big blind spot about the issue that is the preservation of language. I've seen it in the public sphere, but also from my English speaking friends. It's difficult for them to understand why Québécois care so much about preserving their language, because they are in a priviledged position. Their native tongue is spoken everywhere on this continent (a large number of Quebecois are bilingual too) and English is not only the language of business but that of the internet. How could they understand what it is like to fear losing their way of speaking? I actually don't blame them. I would probably be blinded too if I was in their shoes. I know I have been blind to women's and other minorities's experiences in the past because of my priviledged position as a white man. It's the same thing.

The best you can do is to try to respectfully explain to them your perspective, and if they are humble enough they will listen and try to understand. Some of my friends have, others have not. Some people in this thread, like TheBeardare, are probably already too entrenched in their beliefs to listen, but there are definitely people who will read this thread with very little knowledge about Quebec that might learn something. They might even be intrigued enough to do some research on the topic. Wouldn't that be great?

Anyway, back to the MAIN topic... I miss the days when Quebec could have had its own olympic hockey team. I hope Hockey Quebec finally get their head out of their collective ass and take some lessons from the other provinces that have kept up decently well with the US.

Last edited:

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

That being said, don't worry, there won't be any such threat anymore. Younger generations, including mine, don't care much about separating from Canada at this point.
It certainly appears you’re correct.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud

A large number of Canada's medals at the Winter Olympics.

I read all of the posts that went back and forth in this thread, and what it comes down to is that it is indeed difficult for majority groups to understand the experience and perspective of minority groups. Native English speakers in NA tend to have a big blind spot about the issue that is the preservation of language. I've seen it in the public sphere, but also from my English speaking friends. It's difficult for them to understand why Québécois care so much about preserving their language, because they are in a priviledged position. Their native tongue is spoken everywhere on this continent (a large number of Quebecois are bilingual too) and English is not only the language of business but that of the internet. How could they understand what it is like to fear losing their way of speaking? I actually don't blame them. I would probably be blinded too if I was in their shoes. I know I have been blind to women's and other minorities's experiences in the past because of my priviledged position as a white man. It's the same thing.

The best you can do is to try to respectfully explain to them your perspective, and if they are humble enough they will listen and try to understand. Some of my friends have, others have not. Some people in this thread, like TheBeardare, are probably already too entrenched in their beliefs to listen, but there are definitely people who will read this thread with very little knowledge about Quebec that might learn something. They might even be intrigued enough to do some research on the topic. Wouldn't that be great?

Anyway, back to the MAIN topic... I miss the days when Quebec could have had its own olympic hockey team. I hope Hockey Quebec finally get their head out of their collective ass and take some lessons from the other provinces that have kept up decently well with the US.

Amen to that. (From an atheist)

Except for the first part. I know many young people who are very motivated about creating a new free and democratic country. And according to polls, their number is rising.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Sean Couturier should be on that list, as someone who is the prodigy of a Quebec born hockey player, and who played his minor hockey in Quebec. Anthona Mantha too.

Couturier played his youth hockey in NB (and Saskatchewan because of Hockey Quebec).

If anything, he exemplifies the issues.

Reactions: Plastic Joseph

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I truly don’t understand the desperate need to protect the language

My grandfather came from Europe in 1925 speaking only french. My dad remembers his first day of school and only understanding french in an English elementary school . Im not sure when grandma learned English but she was fully bilingual

Growing up my dad’s family would generally speak English but when things got heated it would switch to French

My brother and i only spoke English. Never heard my family comment on it.

Maybe someone can help me understand. If my family had to move to china for example, id fully expect that within 3 generations my ancestors would speak only Chinese, and the only reason to retain English would be for global communication

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I truly don’t understand the desperate need to protect the language

My grandfather came from Europe in 1925 speaking only french. My dad remembers his first day of school and only understanding french in an English elementary school . Im not sure when grandma learned English but she was fully bilingual

Growing up my dad’s family would generally speak English but when things got heated it would switch to French

My brother and i only spoke English. Never heard my family comment on it.

Maybe someone can help me understand. If my family had to move to china for example, id fully expect that within 3 generations my ancestors would speak only Chinese, and the only reason to retain English would be for global communication

Some of the governments go way overboard with it but of course protecting the French language is important. I'm not sure what needs to be pointed out here. It's one of the country's two official languages (unlike English in China) and is by far the majority language in the province and a massive part of its culture. Only Montreal (and some towns outside of it) are either fully bilingual (i.e. Montreal's languages are often split up by boroughs but most of the city is entirely bilingual) but the island =/ the province.

The French language obviously is not going anywhere but I'm also not sure I understand your question. Of course it makes sense that your family lost theirs if you're (I assume) originally from Edmonton.

Amen to that. (From an atheist)

Except for the first part. I know many young people who are very motivated about creating a new free and democratic country. And according to polls, their number is rising.

Rising to what? I was only 3 in '95 but I think we're way far off from that sort of fervor.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Some of the governments go way overboard with it but of course protecting the French language is important. I'm not sure what needs to be pointed out here. It's one of the country's two official languages (unlike English in China) and is by far the majority language in the province and a massive part of its culture. Only Montreal (and some towns outside of it) are either fully bilingual (i.e. Montreal's languages are often split up by boroughs but most of the city is entirely bilingual) but the island =/ the province.

The French language obviously is not going anywhere but I'm also not sure I understand your question. Of course it makes sense that your family lost theirs if you're (I assume) originally from Edmonton.

Rising to what? I was only 3 in '95 but I think we're way far off from that sort of fervor.
I guess my question is why is there a need or desire to intervene with the natural evolution of language in Quebec. To “protect “ the language.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
Verdun, Montréal
its bettmans fault...

1728481901668.png

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I guess my question is why is there a need or desire to intervene with the natural evolution of language in Quebec. To “protect “ the language.

Yes, precisely. I'm not sure what's hard to understand. A lot of people care and it's an important part of their lives, whether practically or culturally? English clearly has always had its place in Montreal (and will for a long time, that's not going away) but Montreal is the second biggest French city in the entire world. How's that not valuable or something worth upholding?

On a beneficiary note, it's also helped keep prices down for major costs like housing as opposed to other major metropolis.

Last edited:

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Couturier played his youth hockey in NB (and Saskatchewan because of Hockey Quebec).

If anything, he exemplifies the issues.
Yep Couturier would belong on the list of top Maritimers in the NHL which is actually way better than Quebec.

Crosby
MacKinnon
Marchand
Dobson
Batherson (not born but minor hockey in NS
Couturier (same thing but NB)
Graves
Barron
O'brien

add like 13 AHLers to that list (Bowers, J Barron, Cormier, Highmore, Myers etc) and I still think they could take team Quebec with their top end.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
250k migrants per year * 30 years > current French Québécois population. Think about it, that is what you call “doing nothing”. The largest population growth in the f***ing world save 2-3 African countries. Demography is destiny and Canada is screwing us on that front. Forcing them into French school is the bare minimum and the only hope of maintaining French.

Them speaking French isn't going to appreciably improve the complete disaster that's happening. Your culture is more than a language, and it will be lost regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad