Top 20 Quebecers in the NHL

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Yes they would? I'm bilingual and I would have a problem with a business that doesn't care about the national language. Anyway, it just doesn't make sense at all business wise. Businessmen don't get stuck thinking "I speak ENGLISH and I don't care about the customers who don't understand ME!!!" This would be plain stupid.

Businesses adapt to their market. It's not the other way around.

You want to do business in Sweden? Learn Swedish! Do advertising in Swedish, hire staff that speaks Swedish. Even if 50% of the population can understand English to varying degrees. Would you go to Africa and target "white customers only"? No right! That would be dumb. And mostly, it would be quite insensitive to the locals.

I don't even know what there is to argue here. It's just common sense capitalism.
I agree with your entire point wholeheartedly I just want to point out the funny fact that Sweden actually has a higher % of their population that speaks English than Canada.

Reactions: Bradely

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
So 51.7 % of the province that speaks English regularly in Quebec shouldn't be considered?

If a business, like the board game store is at the mercy of both the language police and the other companies who don't print their products in both languages and thus go under because of the severe limitations of what's now available to them and thus the customer, you're applauding it?

In the end, all I'm hearing is "f*** that store and the owner".
I don't know where you took your numbers..... just saying.

Bold part, if a business owner dislike the French factor, French culture in Québec, and does not give a shit about me and mine, than my answer is YES he can get the f... o....

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don't know where you took your numbers..... just saying.

Bold part, if a business owner dislike the French factor, French culture in Québec, and does not give a shit about me and mine, than my answer is YES he can get the f... o....
I think if you own a specialty store, you don’t have the financial authority to make political statements and potentially alienate your demographic. If you think the store owner made the choices he did as some sort of a statement and not because they sell what they are able to obtain, well, i guess that’s on brand with how most French québécois think. Very little rational logic and everything a personal attack.

It was never a case of the store ONLY having English games. They sold both, but the OQLF said a) the owner cannot talk to customers in English, b) they cannot sell games that don’t have a French translated version and c) cannot sell English games if the French version is sold out.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
I think if you own a specialty store, you don’t have the financial authority to make political statements and potentially alienate your demographic. If you think the store owner made the choices he did as some sort of a statement and not because they sell what they are able to obtain, well, i guess that’s on brand with how most French québécois think. Very little rational logic and everything a personal attack.

It was never a case of the store ONLY having English games. They sold both, but the OQLF said a) the owner cannot talk to customers in English, b) they cannot sell games that don’t have a French translated version and c) cannot sell English games if the French version is sold out.
My father talk to the man who told him someone heard someone saying this and this and this......

I would like to investigate the case you are referring to, in all its angle, not only your appreciation of it or of what you heard. Usely, I come down to a WAY different conclusion........

You seem to be from Vegas if I am correct. What's your take on Trump!!!!!

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Soccer has surpassed hockey in the Province :

''Football (Soccer) has always been popular in Québec and has emerged as the youth sport of choice for parents across the province. Both boys (97,000) and girls (42,000) football registrations continue to surpass that of hockey. According to Hockey Canada's annual report, 69,000 boys and 6,840 girls played youth hockey in the 2022-23 season.''

I dont think soccer having higher participation rates than hockey is unique to Quebec. Correct me if wrong, but soccer has traditionally had higher participation rates on national level.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
My father talk to the man who told him someone heard someone saying this and this and this......

I would like to investigate the case you are referring to, in all its angle, not only your appreciation of it or of what you heard. Usely, I come down to a WAY different conclusion........

You seem to be from Vegas if I am correct. What's your take on Trump!!!!!

I'm in Vegas but was born in the West Island.

I loathe the man, but have a general disdain for all politicians. I believe in the concept of a New World Order. The rich get richer.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019

Read on the “Frenchification of Brussels”, this is exactly what would happen in Montreal without language laws (in favour of English)

By advocating for “free market” business language you’re being an Anglophone chauvinist without even realizing it. When you are the linguistic majority and lingua Franca, it’s easy to say “let people decide and see where we end up”, we all know where it’s ending up. Most French Montrealer won’t care to be served in English in their day to day but 50 years down the road, they’d be devastated to see French All but gone.

It’s actually sad how little cultural awareness anglophones have sometime. For anybody not an anglophone, language is a huge part of culture because it creates a cultural enclave. A québécois or a Pole or an Italian have access to a local culture you know nothing about, and we’d like to keep it for our grandchildren, but thanks for your concern.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Quebec isn't a nation, it's a province. It exists with 9 other provinces and 3 territories to make up a country.

This belief that francophones are struggling to survive is a myth that gets perpetrated by charlatans and believed by the ignorant.

Nobody on the English side is trying to impose anything whether in or outside of Quebec. However the Quebec government, regardless of party, is trying to impose what language people speak at home, in public, or in business/institutions.
I call it the great Canadian paradox how Canadians who call themselves “multiculutral” have such cultural illiteracy.

nation :

a large body of people united by common descent, history, culture, or language, inhabiting a particular country or territory.

250k migrants per year * 30 years > current French Québécois population. Think about it, that is what you call “doing nothing”. The largest population growth in the f***ing world save 2-3 African countries. Demography is destiny and Canada is screwing us on that front. Forcing them into French school is the bare minimum and the only hope of maintaining French.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Soccer has surpassed hockey in the Province :

''Football (Soccer) has always been popular in Québec and has emerged as the youth sport of choice for parents across the province. Both boys (97,000) and girls (42,000) football registrations continue to surpass that of hockey. According to Hockey Canada's annual report, 69,000 boys and 6,840 girls played youth hockey in the 2022-23 season.''
That doesn't mean much of anything. If anything, I'd be surprised if soccer WASN'T ahead of hockey.

Even when I was a kid back when Canadians made up the majority of all nationalities in the NHL than any other country combined (about 60% at the time), few of my friends played hockey. But many of them, even those who grew up to hate soccer, played that in their youth. AFAIK soccer has always been ahead of hockey as far as youth registration goes many because of affordability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad