Post-Game Talk: Tony Hawk

3 Stars

• Total voters

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but Laf and Kakko sat for a long stretch after that hit. I waited to see who he would put with them, but I just waited and waited. Turk skipped their turn on the ice a few times right after. He could have easily put Brodzinski between them, like he said he would during an in-game interview but didn't. Maybe that was him being disappointed there was no response?
I'd very much strongly doubt that. More likely him just losing them in the shuffle temporarily with their center out there. Neither Kakko nor Lafreniere are expected to be enforcers and neither of them have shied away from things either. They were both in tight on the net trying to score as Chytil got hit, Kakko literally was trying to tap a puck in on the goal line as it happened. Not sure what they could've really done or what Gallant would've expected them to do to the point of sitting them.

IMO Reaves was a good team guy but his role was vastly overstated. The modern "clean enforcer" is a useless player.

What's needed in those situations is someone who is not central to the lineup to take a run at Lafferty, Scott Stevens him, and eat the suspension. Those are the plays that are deterrents, not a meaningless fight where nothing of substance happens and the enforcer "edges" out a win on a fight scorecard, but the opponent is otherwise physically able to play in the next game.

Not unless an enforcer is so overpowering - think prime Tony Twist, Joe Kocur, Colton Orr - will a meaningless staged fight do anything. Those players literally don't exist anymore.
Yeah, agree with this. Honestly, Trouba being the open ice hitter that he is is more of a deterrent in the current NHL than Reaves was here.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I'd very much strongly doubt that. More likely him just losing them in the shuffle temporarily with their center out there. Neither Kakko nor Lafreniere are expected to be enforcers and neither of them have shied away from things either. They were both in tight on the net trying to score as Chytil got hit, Kakko literally was trying to tap a puck in on the goal line as it happened. Not sure what they could've really done or what Gallant would've expected them to do to the point of sitting them.
You're probably right. But it still could have been a message to stick up for your teammates the next time even though they were in no position to do so this time. They are not exempt from that.

You're probably right though. I don't think anyone saw the hit, or thought it was dangerous. It's just funny they sat out for a long time, after playing so well.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Kocur26

Limousine Ridin’
Jul 30, 2021
Any update on Chytil ?
How many concussions for this guy now?

I’m thinking he won’t be back until mid January.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Good game. Chytil has been playing well, but this is why he will not cost much. Avoiding injury is a part of the game. If you can't, you aren't a big money player. He reminds me of Marty Havlat.

tlk

Zeev Buium appreciation corps
Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
HFNYR in the GDT: a loo roll of "we're trash", " fire gallant" etc in the opening minutes
GG in the postgame: "we started sloppy cos back to backs"

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
IMG_20191127_225602.jpg

Reactions: Irishguy42

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Well he was pretty good when St.louis won the cup.

This keeps popping up, but Blais was just a 4th liner on a team that was firing on all cylinders.

Blais is just not an NHL caliber player. 11 injuries in a 5-year career doesn't help of course but even when he was healthy, he doesn't do anything that helps you win.

I'd also much rather have Toews than Kane

Yeah, Devon Toews.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Tremendous win against an absolutely awful
Chicago team. It’s all clicking right now.

Boucher and Suban should be ashamed at their absolute hatchet job on the Rangers in the second intermission. Their anti Ranger bias was so clear. They spoke like the team was down 5-1 not up 5-1. Embarrassing. ESPN hockey coverage is certainly not vintage ESPN.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Kane was terrific last night. He has 4 lousy goals. He is on pace for 11 goals. Giroux was a productive player for Philly last season. People compare Kane to Giroux. Philly was a dumpster fire last season.

Friedman said teams are concerned about the Ducks players helping a playoff team after having a tough season in Anaheim.

Klingberg and possibly Shattenkirk.

Are the Hawks players going to ramp their play after getting traded?

Flip the switch. Everything is fine.

What is Kane's trade value? Emily Kaplan said Chicago wants more picks and prospects. They don't want a 6th round pick.

The ESPN broadcast was a joke. Callahan can't make a thought without laughing. What is so funny? Any team would take Kane. What's the price? 1st round pick and a roster player or top prospect? Really?

A 2nd round pick and some nondescript young player. Maybe the 2nd gets bumped to a 1st if the acquiring team reaches the conference finals or Cup finals and Kane plays X% of the playoff games.

The Rangers PP is productive again. Are they breaking up the unit to fit in Kane with 40 days remaining in the NHL season. This organization won't break up the unit to play one of their top 2 draft picks but they are breaking it for a mercenary????? They make a big deal of the bumper needing to be a right because they set up on the right side.

Frauds.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Reading this thread should be entertaining. For a change.

Just seems every time Filip starts to find out just how dominant he can be.......he gets hurt and steps him back a ways.

All I know is he better be okay and get back soon. The Brodzinski affect is REAL, but it's really the Chytil affect that makes everyone around him better.
Even Laffy looked amazing, Kaapo accumulating massive confidence.

Reactions: ohbaby and egelband

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Can someone explain what Harpur has done or is doing to stay in the line up? I know Hajek gets more than his share of hate, but there isn't really anything Harpur does better.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Kane was terrific last night. He has 4 lousy goals. He is on pace for 11 goals. Giroux was a productive player for Philly last season. People compare Kane to Giroux. Philly was a dumpster fire last season.

Friedman said teams are concerned about the Ducks players helping a playoff team after having a tough season in Anaheim.

Klingberg and possibly Shattenkirk.

Are the Hawks players going to ramp their play after getting traded?

Flip the switch. Everything is fine.

What is Kane's trade value? Emily Kaplan said Chicago wants more picks and prospects. They don't want a 6th round pick.

The ESPN broadcast was a joke. Callahan can't make a thought without laughing. What is so funny? Any team would take Kane. What's the price? 1st round pick and a roster player or top prospect? Really?

A 2nd round pick and some nondescript young player. Maybe the 2nd gets bumped to a 1st if the acquiring team reaches the conference finals or Cup finals and Kane plays X% of the playoff games.

The Rangers PP is productive again. Are they breaking up the unit to fit in Kane with 40 days remaining in the NHL season. This organization won't break up the unit to play one of their top 2 draft picks but they are breaking it for a mercenary????? They make a big deal of the bumper needing to be a right because they set up on the right side.

Frauds.

100%

Besides, if they're going to rent anything it should be a solid LD and a backup center for when Chytil gets hurt again.

Let someone else rent Kane and lose assets and then lose in the playoffs. NO THANK YOU

Can someone explain what Harpur has done or is doing to stay in the line up? I know Hajek gets more than his share of hate, but there isn't really anything Harpur does better.

He's absolutely more physical than anything Hajek can do. The Hajek experiment should be over, the guy has had a pretty long leash and proven absolutely nothing. He's had 5 years and 110 games. If he's going to take another step, I don't think it's going to be here.

Reactions: RagFinMet

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
100%

Besides, if they're going to rent anything it should be a solid LD and a backup center for when Chytil gets hurt again.

Let someone else rent Kane and lose assets and then lose in the playoffs. NO THANK YOU
My favorite part of the Kane rationale is the Rangers can extend Kane as part of the trade.

Really???

Elon Musk should start banning twitter accounts from hockey "journalists".

A few weeks ago, Scott Powers of The Athletic who covers the Hawks spoke to a western conference team exec who said Kane could get his current cap hit in a shorter term contract. Which team is paying Kane $10.5M AAV for the next 2-3-4 seasons?

Too bad the NHL doesn't permit contracts to be renegotiated. Maybe Artemi could give some of his $11,642,857 to Kane since they are so close.

How is Kane helping the Rangers? The Rangers don’t have a spot for him on the first unit PP. Kane's even strength production is non-existent.

Hope and prayers are why people buy power ball tickets.

There is no room for sentimentality.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I am not a fan of Neanderthal hockey, but someone really needed to take Lafferty’s head off after the late and high hit to Chytil and running Shesterkin. I’m disappointed in the lack of response, but a good game otherwise.
Trouba is going to call up former Captain Ryan McDonagh and ask him to take care of it next game.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
The only players on the team (besides Chytil with only 1 more) with more points than Lafreniere are all the guys on the top PP unit logging 20+ minutes. Only Kreider's ATOI went down a bit to 19+ recently.

Trocheck, the uber 3rd line center, who plays damn near full 2 minute PP shifts, only has 7 more points than Lafreniere. 9 of them are PP points.

You're telling me Lafreniere couldn't put up 9 more points on PP1 because hes not a righty?

Kakko isn't far behind, either.

This coach and this organization is actively stunting these kids.

Stop giving Vesey and Goodrow top 6 minutes.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
If I am totally being honest,... I would not like more wins like this. I could have fell asleep midway through the game if I didn't pinch myself. I never thought I would say this,... but I think I would prefer posters here bitching about winning close games. LOL!
I normally prefer close games, because its more nail biting (fun). But, have to admit I kind of got off on last night. The "rarely seen rout". Doesn't happen often.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The only players on the team (besides Chytil with only 1 more) with more points than Lafreniere are all the guys on the top PP unit logging 20+ minutes. Only Kreider's ATOI went down a bit to 19+ recently.

Trocheck, the uber 3rd line center, who plays damn near full 2 minute PP shifts, only has 7 more points than Lafreniere. 9 of them are PP points.

You're telling me Lafreniere couldn't put up 9 more points on PP1 because hes not a righty?

Kakko isn't far behind, either.

This coach and this organization is actively stunting these kids.

Stop giving Vesey and Goodrow top 6 minutes.

"actively stunting these kids" is parody at this point. We're on a 7 game win streak and the kids are scoring every night. Get a grip already

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Dominance with the exception of a few moments in the second and the start of the first. Great game from the youngsters. Hope 72 is ok. Nice to see 8 put up another goal. Igor with some good saves. Want more of this please.

But, no matter how well we do, no rentals. Ever.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Dominance with the exception of a few moments in the second and the start of the first. Great game from the youngsters. Hope 72 is ok. Nice to see 8 put up another goal. Igor with some good saves. Want more of this please.

But, no matter how well we do, no rentals. Ever.

Very unrealistic to think this team isnt going to add multiple rentals at the deadline. They are not capable of adding future money without major cap gymnastics and they arent standing pat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad