Rumor: Tony DeAngelo being traded back to Carolina next month but he also could not be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
As GKJ was attempting to tell a brick wall last night, retaining prevents flexibility the rest of the season. Just as having 50 contracts this past season prevented them for making a claim on someone like Tolvanen while they had Bellows was bad. They’ll instead be wasting a second retention spot knowing that Hayes is going to be the third to save negligible cap space which is bad.

I get it though, every thing this organization does has to be defended and the options in front of us are the only ones to ever exist.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Hayes and DeAngelo would be two retention slots. There is no third retention slot currently being used by the Flyers.

Cap savings being negligible is nonsense. We don't know who or what we can broker this summer/season with those cap savings.

Retaining on DeAngelo is an indirect way to add an asset this summer/deadline via saved cap space without a long-term commitment to using a retainment slot in another deal (Such as a Provorov type deal). I prefer that flexibility, others may not.

Not everything needs to be bashed merely because this board wants to complain.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
I have absolutely no problem using a retention slot on TDA, as long as the value in using that is actually worth it. I'll have someone who follows and remembers or records to more accurately say more definitively than me whether it's worth it or not

Based on 3-team/multi-team trades where a team picked up a player specifically to act as the 'retention slot bridge' and then what that team got as compensation for doing so. I think the rumored compensation for TDA would seem to lean heavily towards 'not enuf return' in this case.

That 'retention slot bridge thing' I think is the best way to state the value of a retention slot/salary sucked up situation.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Hayes and DeAngelo would be two retention slots. There is no third retention slot currently being used by the Flyers.

Cap savings being negligible is nonsense. We don't know who or what we can broker this summer/season with those cap savings.

Retaining on DeAngelo is an indirect way to add an asset this summer/deadline via saved cap space without a long-term commitment to using a retainment slot. I prefer that flexibility, others may not.

Not everything needs to be bashed merely because this board wants to complain.
I did forget that Provorov is on the Kings books but the point is still the same. If you’re going to trade him for the sake of trading him and don’t really care about the prospect/return it’s better to just buy him out with where the team is.

98% of things this organization does needs to be bashed though.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Live look at the TDA and Hayes trades.

FakeExemplaryCougar-size_restricted.gif

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
As GKJ was attempting to tell a brick wall last night, retaining prevents flexibility the rest of the season. Just as having 50 contracts this past season prevented them for making a claim on someone like Tolvanen while they had Bellows was bad. They’ll instead be wasting a second retention spot knowing that Hayes is going to be the third to save negligible cap space which is bad.

I get it though, every thing this organization does has to be defended and the options in front of us are the only ones to ever exist.
is it fair to say that whenever they trade Tony D they were likely retaining on him? So if yes does it really matter if it is now or in 6 months?

Mind you I wouldn't trade him just yet if you are getting nothing back as rather wait to see if you get a pick down the line. It is clear the coach is driving this train on this particular move as he wants him gone.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
is it fair to say that whenever they trade Tony D they were likely retaining on him? So if yes does it really matter if it is now or in 6 months?

Mind you I wouldn't trade him just yet if you are getting nothing back as rather wait to see if you get a pick down the line. It is clear the coach is driving this train on this particular move as he wants him gone.
At this point he’s 100% gone though. He’s not going to be on the team come the regular season so they could buy him out now if they really want him gone.

In a perfect world where the coach wasn’t a manchild and could work with people he didn’t see eye to eye with, yes, moving TDA was always going to be a retention deal even if it was at the Trade Deadline.

Reactions: BiggE

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
At this point he’s 100% gone though. He’s not going to be on the team come the regular season so they could buy him out now if they really want him gone.

In a perfect world where the coach wasn’t a manchild and could work with people he didn’t see eye to eye with, yes, moving TDA was always going to be a retention deal even if it was at the Trade Deadline.
if the return is basically nothing, then yes a buy out makes more sense. Lets see the return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad