Tomas Tatar

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Afinogenov had Bure-speed but no hands.

Either isn't comparable for Tatar, imo.

Disagree. I think Afininogenov's hands were very underrated. My comparison was more of the line of controlling the puck, creating chances for themselves, but you always expected more with the finish. Of course Tats is more so a rookie.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Disagree. I think Afininogenov's hands were very underrated. My comparison was more of the line of controlling the puck, creating chances for themselves, but you always expected more with the finish. Of course Tats is more so a rookie.

Yeah, but Afinogenov was mostly remembered of that blazing Helm-level speed. Hope that Darren would have Maxim's hands.

Tatar is more of "Grabovski" to me.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe I had wrong words. I meant that he had nice hands and great dekes, but average finishing ability. More "show" than goals, relatively. That's a bit "Tatar".

Oh, I see. That makes sense. Certainly was most known for his speed and skating, if that was what you meant.

NyquistIsMyGod*

Maybe I had wrong words. I meant that he had nice hands and great dekes, but average finishing ability. More "show" than goals, relatively. That's a bit "Tatar".

Hence my comparison to Tats right now. Some speed (Afinogenov had more), solid hands, offensively gifted, dangled, but the finish wasn't on par with everything else. Tats' finish should develop however.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hence my comparison to Tats right now. Some speed (Afinogenov had more), solid hands, offensively gifted, dangled, but the finish wasn't on par with everything else. Tats' finish should develop however.

He's certainly not as gritty, or an agitator type.

But I've always felt he's a little similar to Brad Marchand. Smaller, spark plug guy, that can finish and generate offense by himself.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
He's certainly not as gritty, or an agitator type.

But I've always felt he's a little similar to Brad Marchand. Smaller, spark plug guy, that can finish and generate offense by himself.

That description is why I always go back to the Steve Sullivan comparison, if folks still remember him (god, I feel old). He was small, feisty as hell, and you seemed to notice him every shift even if it didn't show up on the scoreboard. As small as Sullivan was, he always seemed to give the Wings trouble just because of his relentlessness.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
That description is why I always go back to the Steve Sullivan comparison, if folks still remember him (god, I feel old). He was small, feisty as hell, and you seemed to notice him every shift even if it didn't show up on the scoreboard. As small as Sullivan was, he always seemed to give the Wings trouble just because of his relentlessness.

How about Teo Fluery?
Tatar is quick, but not fast IMO.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
afinogenov had the hands and legs but not the head. hockey sense always held him back. damn fun player to watch.

there are similarities between the two but not a perfect comparable imo.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
How about Teo Fluery?
Tatar is quick, but not fast IMO.

Fleury could fly when he was in his prime. Even later in his career when he slowed down a bit, he could still move. Built like a little tank, too. Little guy could level people.

I like the Sullivan comparison. Tatar makes me think a bit of Kozlov, too. Sneaky quick, goal scorer's instincts, a bit of unexpected grit.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
This might be personal bias - being that the fact I grew up throughout the 90's and liken most of the modern players back to that generation of players...plus I adored this player

When I look at Tatar, I see Ziggy Palffy:
- Slovakian
- Similar build (~5'9 175lbs)
- Fiery and enthusiastic disposition with the tendency to throw up a nice passionate celebration following a goal
- Ability to score and finish
- Aggressive and attacking mentality
- Smooth, clever, and efficient dangler
- Quick and tenacious on offense but not particularly "fast" in top end speed

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
I always thought of Tats as this crazy, "party-first" type of guy (and the troubles he had with his neighbors seemed to confirm it) and that all the money he will be getting now would make it even worse, but after I read this, I have much respect for him.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/09/job_security_makes_red_wings_t.html

Tatar, who this summer signed a three-year contract extension worth $2.75 million per season, spent part of the offseason building a sports and fitness center for youngsters in Dubinca, Slovakia, where he was raised.

He's trying to fulfill a promise he made to his father, who died last January following a long illness.

"I promised my dad I would try and do something for the city where I grew up," said Tatar, 23. "That city gave me a chance to be a hockey player at this level so I feel like I owe the city something back. That's why I decided to build the sports center.

I wish there were more 23-year-olds like him...

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
If you ask me, that story mentioned above was quite overvalued and led to jump into doubtful conclusions about his character.
To me, he's always been a decent lad and I'm not really surprised to hear about commitments like that. Good job, Tats.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
This might be personal bias - being that the fact I grew up throughout the 90's and liken most of the modern players back to that generation of players...plus I adored this player

When I look at Tatar, I see Ziggy Palffy:
- Slovakian
- Similar build (~5'9 175lbs)
- Fiery and enthusiastic disposition with the tendency to throw up a nice passionate celebration following a goal
- Ability to score and finish
- Aggressive and attacking mentality
- Smooth, clever, and efficient dangler
- Quick and tenacious on offense but not particularly "fast" in top end speed

If he could develop into a Palffy, I would be extremely happy. Prime Palffy was a star - a very good player on a very bad Isles team.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tats is the man. He and Nyquist are just going to keep getting better and better.

Wasn't sure where to put this, but saw this Holland quote from the other day, and this is setting the bar pretty high for these two.

Red Wings GM Ken Holland said during the team’s prospect tournament in Traverse City last week that the Red Wings will be a contending team if two things happened. The first is if Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg combine for 140 games between them and the second is Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Tatar combining for 50 goals

Datsyuk and Zetterberg haven't combined for 50 since 09-10, so that's no easy task.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/p...e-season-money-grab-a-bad-omen-for-red-wings/

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
That isn't too far-fetched though, depending on opportunity. Tatar isn't scoring 25 goals on a line with Sheahan and Jurco unless he goes crazy on the PP.

I believe we need a lot more than that personally; Howard needs to be close to a top5 goalie and we need to either force one or two of the kids in on defense, or let things take its natural course(the waiver death dance if you will).

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
That isn't too far-fetched though, depending on opportunity. Tatar isn't scoring 25 goals on a line with Sheahan and Jurco unless he goes crazy on the PP.

He put up 19 in 73 games, while spending a lot of that on the third line and sometimes even the fourth line. If he can play a full 82 games, I think 25 is well within reach. Even if he plays with Sheahan and Jurco for most of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad